Rotopax, fuel bladder legal for IBR?

Hello,
I did see anything in the rules about carrying fuel in a fuel bottle, rotoax or fuel bladder. Is it permitted?
I am planning a 1K ride through some remote areas of Nevada and from experience can not count on fuel being available in some of the small places. It is more that 250 miles, maybe 300 miles between reliable fueling stops.

Thanks for the advice!
-DL

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Donald "IBR" means the "Iron Butt Rally"* which has very extensive and specific rules regarding the carrying of fuel.

It seems instead, though, that you are discussing an upcoming IBA certificate ride you are planning. Certificate rides don't have specific rules regarding carrying fuel. So go right ahead. Of course carrying Rotapax and bladders or jerry cans should be done safely and securely, but that's just routine advice.

There will be lots of discussion on how other riders carry their extra fuel and feel free to ask any questions as there is a wealth of knowledge in the forum.

Just two points I can add: a) make sure that you adhere to the documentation rules and collect a computer generated docket and log the stop within the mileage limits; b) make a note on your submission or fuel log saying that you carried and used extra fuel. That way the verification team can understand how you covered the extra miles without hitching a ride on a truck or something.

Have a great ride out in those wide open and remote places.:cool:

* the biennial IBR has just completed for 2021. The rides, riders and reports are inspirational. Check them out in other threads on the forum.

Donald "IBR" means the "Iron Butt Rally"* which has very extensive and specific rules regarding the carrying of fuel.
Hello OX-34
My fault, I intended two questions. One related to the IBR rules for fuel bottles and fuel bladders, if any.
The other more immediate event is the practical side of using a fuel bottle or bladder to bridge fuel stops. For a short ride like the 1K, I want to avoid the expense and trouble of a plumbed and wired auxillary fuel tank, whereas I probably would go the aux route if I drew a golden ticket for 2023.

Thanks, take care.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I understand now.

The IBR rules are found here: https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/

From those rules on page 5 under equipment:
"e. Fuel capacity (measured by the methods set forth below in Appendix A) not to exceed 11.5 U.S. gallons. If any fuel is carried in other than an original equipment fuel tank, the fuel container(s) must be plumbed directly to the fuel system and meet the requirements set forth in Appendix A."

As for the SS1K ride, I can understand that plumbing your tank may be overkill. I've had aux tanks on a bunch of my bikes and I think I have plumbed an aux tank for just a single ride on just three of those (BMW F800GT-P, Yamaha TMax scooter and a tiny Honda CT110). The last two were very tightly run with too little time to spare to even tip in a jerry can or two. This distance requirement you mention is well understood by us Aussie riders riding through the outback.

Fingers crossed for the Golden ticket in 2023.

DrNeo

Premier Member
I used a 1-gallon BestRest peg packer on my BMW F650GS single during several certified rides. 70mph with or without a headwind would change my MPG's wildly, so it was always an easy insurance policy. I only had to use it once to bridge a gap of about 20 miles to my next scheduled stop.

If you live in an area with plenty of gas stops, by the time you stop, grab the can, pour it in, put it back, etc. I'm not sure you'd save much time by adding in a 1 gallon can when compared to stopping and filling up your bike with 4+ gallons? 5 minute stop to go 40 miles vs 11 minutes to go 160 miles?

Also remember that you have to mess with filling up the can at the next fuel station if needed (and those little MSR-type bottles can't handle a full pull of the gas handle, so you're really taking some time to dribble it full).

I agree, an extra gallon as insurance in case you don't make it to the gas station is reasonable, but it probably won't save you time.