Route Advise

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With the TAR24 approaching fast I was looking for a little advise for my ride out east. As I have not ridden this side of the country too often any advise would be greatly appreciated.

My original plan was to travel the 1660 km. in 16 hours, I would leave Lobethal in the Adelaide Hills at 02:00 and a straight run across the Hay plains then onto the M31 though Goulburn then M7, M2 and onto Pennant Hills Rd which will take me onto the Pacific Highway to Taree. My problem with this route is that my timing would have me arriving in the Sydney area at 15:00 on a Friday and I think that the traffic at that time may cause an issue with my timing.

My next option would see me leaving at the same time but turn off the Mid Western Highway near Caragabal onto the Newell Highway through Parkes onto the Golden / New England Highway then onto the A1 north of Newcastle into Taree. My concerns about this option are the amount of small towns along the way and that the Newell Highway was flooded recently and will it be reopened.

I know leaving earlier would be the easiest solution but I will be working the day before I leave and would not finish until 20:00 and I was hoping for a good 5 hours sleep before my departure.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Using the M7 you will need a pass of some sort. A pass maybe an advantage for the weekend too?

I'd prefer Bart's suggestion. Also detouring via Wagga then Bathurst only adds around 80km to the total. Bathurst to Denman via the Bylong Valley Way is a great bit of road.

Even though Live Traffic doesn't show flooding on the southern route, there could be speed restrictions in place due to road damage.

Enterprise

Premier Member
...My problem with this route is that my timing would have me arriving in the Sydney area at 15:00 on a Friday and I think that the traffic at that time may cause an issue with my timing....
Hey Jeff, if it were me I would be going the way you suggested.

If you will actually be arriving around 3pm I wouldn't be concerned at all. It should take about 45 minutes to travel the 60 odd kilometres skirting Sydney on the M7, M2 and then a short run on Pennant Hills Road before getting onto the M1. It should be pretty quick I think. You will be paying tolls (no cash booths) on the M7 and M2

Vlad

Premier Member
Friday arvo traffic heading north from the m2 junction on Penno Rd to the m1 turn off won't be light at that time of day. Every man and his dog will be heading for the M1 and Friday arvo traffic on that won't be light either but should be moving. If the OA is important I would look at another route