Speed according to Spot

There has been discussions in the past about top speed indicated on GPS units. While finally getting my ride submitted from August, I found this detail on SpotWalla.

Spot Gen3
Trip Date 2023-08-25 09:16:56
Trip TZ America/Chicago
Your Date 2023-08-25 09:16:56
Your TZ America/Chicago
Coordinates 42.27759, -84.30426
Elevation 0 M | 0 FT
Speed 329.2 MPH | 530.1 KPH | 286.1 KN
Bearing 87° E
Source Spot
Type Ok
Battery Status GOOD
Letting you know that travels are going well.

That has to be a new land speed record for a '85 GL1200A. ;)

Just a little bit of humor to lighten the winter.

-Mark

Firstpeke

Never seen this from my Spot Gen 3 on Spotwalla, but have seen some outstanding world speed records for various bikes on my previous Garmin 660 tracks.....
One moment doing 47mph, the next 170mph..... impossible of course on a Honda NT700VA, or any bike I ever owned....

I did however on one occasion take the 660 on a flight to GAtwick from Glasgow to pick up a ST1100 I bought and registered a speed of 550mph.....

Worrying that some Police forces, particularly in one case I know of in the UK, where they tried to prosecute a driver based on his car's on board computer logged speed..... they failed as they had no record of any calibration or any other corroboration.

bikerbill

IBR Finisher
I don't have an outrageous maximum speed on any of my gps's but this saved track has what must the most monumental 'glitch' ever:

Maximum Speed-small.jpg

Last edited:

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There has been discussions in the past about top speed indicated on GPS units. While finally getting my ride submitted from August, I found this detail on SpotWalla.

Spot Gen3
Trip Date 2023-08-25 09:16:56
Trip TZ America/Chicago
Your Date 2023-08-25 09:16:56
Your TZ America/Chicago
Coordinates 42.27759, -84.30426
Elevation 0 M | 0 FT
Speed 329.2 MPH | 530.1 KPH | 286.1 KN
Bearing 87° E
Source Spot
Type Ok
Battery Status GOOD
Letting you know that travels are going well.

That has to be a new land speed record for a '85 GL1200A. ;)

Just a little bit of humor to lighten the winter.

-Mark
Mark, are you using more than one device on that particular recording? I know Spot allows you to combine them. Personally, I've seen the phenomenon you are describing when the track includes pings from SPOT and Bubbler when they are close together and slightly out of synch.

Mark, are you using more than one device on that particular recording? I know Spot allows you to combine them. Personally, I've seen the phenomenon you are describing when the track includes pings from SPOT and Bubbler when they are close together and slightly out of synch.
Lew,

No Bubbler on the phone. Just using the Spot3.

At my second fuel stop, I noticed the Spot was not working correctly, so I power cycled it. That may have caused the anomaly.

-Mark

Speaking of Spot3 questions, I picked up one a while back, but haven't figured out how to set it up or get a spotwalla account set up. I hope someone at the Jacksonville gathering can help me out.

Speaking of Spot3 questions, I picked up one a while back, but haven't figured out how to set it up or get a spotwalla account set up. I hope someone at the Jacksonville gathering can help me out.
Harpo,

There are two steps.
1) register with spot and pay for the plan you choose
2) register with spotwalla

-Mark

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you already have an account with Spot for your Gen3, go to Spotwalla and create an account. Once you've created an account, follow the instructions under Create a Device. Help: Devices (spotwalla.com). Once you have that done, you can set up a Trip. Help: Trips (spotwalla.com). If you're still having trouble, somebody for sure will be able to help you at JAX.