SS1K gets rained out - Lessons Learned

Earlier this year I attempted an Iron Butt Association (IBA) Certified Ride, the Ride Around Louisiana. I suppose that my narrative made it sound easy, and friends were interested in trying their hand (butt) at it. Surely they wouldn’t make the same mistakes that I made. [foreshadowing]

One such friend, Kevin, was so inspired and completed his longest solo ride last month, about 350 miles. We do a lot of 300 mile rides, but his solo ride involved several hours of night riding, so definitely a new milestone was reached. A rider that hopes to ride a SaddleSore 1000 (SS1K) should be increasing their endurance by riding longer distances, but when you think you’re ready for 1000 mile ride, you might as well document it.

We negotiated a date based on our work schedules, and the planning began weeks ahead of time. Kevin would propose a route, and I’d ask for certain tweaks to avoid a city, or too many red lights. He’d change it, and we’d discuss... after a couple of iterations, a simplified route was agreed to that involved a lot of time on the interstate. Like most of you, we don’t like taking the super-slab, but time and distance dictate all decisions. At least riding as a pair in formation would make us easy to see. Plus we both have auxiliary lights... we’re hard to miss head-on. I guess this is a good place to mention that we both ride Vespas. Both are GTS 300’s (278 cc), and mine is a little more modern with ABS and ASR. My absolute top speed is about 80 mph, Kevin’s is a little lower, although his speedo makes him think that he’s approaching Mach 1, when he’s doing the speed limit.

In the days leading up to KSU, rain was in the forecast. We proposed a couple of alternate destinations for the turn around, but the real weather problem was going to be southeast Louisiana... so we stuck with the original plan, to some extent. As it turns out, New Orleans got 5 inches of rain Saturday, causing street flooding in large parts of the city.

Now, for the comedy of errors... and herein lie the lessons learned. If you plan to attempt a SS1k, heed our advice here.

Everyone that we told in the days leading up asked if we had plans for the rain... my smug response was that we had rain gear, and that real riders ride in the rain. The plan was to meet up at a 24 hour gas station around 4:15am, KSU at 4:30. I arrived at the station around 4:15, parked on the center stand, opened the seat, took off the gas cap, had my credit card at the ready... and waited. About 10 minutes go by, and I decided to change pumps, so that Kevin could see me better on his approach... so repeating the above process on the next pump over... and wait. As it turns out that Kevin is getting some last minute coaching from his girlfriend. She’s a little concerned about the rain as lightening is flashing outside their windows.

Kevin texts me at 4:35 that he’s about to leave home. He only lives 6 or 8 blocks from the station. Kevin arrives soon afterward, but not that soon... I assume there was additional coaching!

We spend a few minutes complaining about the weather, and Kevin shows me how prepared he is regardless. Except, he’s worried about his Sena getting wet, so he’s going to keep it packed away until we clear the rain. We own the clock at this point, we can take as much time as we need to get started. We can wait until the current rain band passes. We discussed the route, and made some changes. As a reminder to the readers, the only requirement of the judges is that we ride 1000 miles in 24 hours, and log our fuel receipts... there are some fine details, but this is the broad strokes. So we don’t have to follow any plan, we only have to turn in the executed route... We are masters of our own fate!

On the rides leading up to this, I had not insisted on Kevin practicing the receipt logging process. It’s not hard, it’s just 6 or so steps, most of which involves the long piece of toilet paper that the gas-pump produces, or going to the cashier if the pump is out of paper. The rest of the steps involve touching the screen of your smartphone. I’ve been practicing for a year or so. (What could possibly go wrong?) Kevin picked up the process quickly, but by concentrating on his first receipt, he forgot to start his tracking app. As for me... Four gas stops, four pumps that didn’t produce a receipt. So, I have to run into the store, and get the receipt with soaking wet gloves, then try to write my mileage on the receipt that is now falling apart and sticking to my wet glove when I try to lay it flat and take a photo with my phone that isn’t responding to touch or voice... and at two stops I ended up with a screenshot of the camera app with the receipt in the viewfinder! Then trying to store the wet receipt in my pouch... NOTHING is cooperating.

So, back to the timeline... We pull the trigger at the first stop... I’m cussing like a sailor due to me having 20 gas pumps to choose from, but I got the one out of paper! We log the receipt and pull away. The time stamp for my receipt is 5:02 am. Kevin decides that he wants to go through the Harvey Tunnel to avoid wind gusts on the elevated expressway. We pull away at 5:08. He had chosen the gas station due to 24 hour access and proximity to the on-ramp to the elevated expressway. Instead, we stay on the surface road. Five red-lights later we read the sign that says the Tunnel is closed for repairs. So, two more red-lights for the u-turn, back a few blocks, miss the u-turn lane, so two more left turns with red-lights, and then up the on-ramp to the elevated expressway. At the next red-light after the elevated overpass of the Canal, Kevin realizes that he didn’t start recording his track. I intended to use my recorded track to generate some of my documentation, so this is an important detail. Elapsed time 17 minutes... distance traveled 3 miles. Of course, all communication is being done face to face at red lights, because only one of us is using his Sena. Kevin’s iPhone is in his pocket.

At this stop, I tell Kevin to take a deep cleansing breath... and remind him that we own the clock. We can get away from all the red lights and start the clock over. He’s relieved, so we travel another couple of miles to a 24 hour station, for a convenience store receipt since our tanks are full. The store is closed! We continue on to the next community, Avondale, and pull into a station. Grab a couple of bags of peanuts, 2 for a $1... but we each need a receipt, so 75¢ each... Kevin’s wallet is safely locked under his scooter seat. I pull out my wallet, but don’t want to doff all of my gloves, so Kevin handles my wallet and pays the cash, and we each get a receipt. I can’t get the cash back in the money clip due to EVERYTING being wet. I don’t keep my wallet in my pants, but rather in a drop-leg bag. It makes it easy to get to when I need to, but it is exposed to the elements. New time stamp: 5:54 am. Distance traveled, 10 miles. Good time to start over!

Due to the excitement and apprehension, I’ve been awake since 2:30 am. I’m not a happy camper, and Kevin is in an even worse mood. He’s already feeling water get through his outer layer. We should have been near Baton Rouge by now, and we’re not even out of the metro area. But we press on. We continue up to a highway that we know well, and at it’s northern end, we have good choices depending on the weather. We decide to take La Hwy 1 to continue north. It’s a good road, but we are going to encounter four little towns with RED LIGHTS before we get to I-10. But it beats going through Baton Rouge after sun-up and crossing the Mississippi River bridge in traffic.

Kevin’s scooter looks like it was packed by Jed Clampett, and it is affecting his fuel economy. I’m carrying a 3-gal fuel bladder, plus my always ready emergency bottle of 1.5 liters of fuel. Kevin is carrying a gallon of aux fuel, plus a couple of fuel bottles. Scooterists that are attempting Certificate rides MUST learn how to make fuel stops efficient, and skipping the gas station a couple of times is part of my strategy. Regardless, we stopped for gas in Addis, La., and I took a bio-break there. I only needed 1.6 gallons, but it was a 15 minute stop. We need to be running on fumes, and refuel from the extra fuel we’re carrying... still, we’re wet and miserable, so the fuel stop efficiency is not our biggest concern at the moment. We’re just a few miles short of the interstate. Oh, important note... we are finally out of the heavy rain. It’s still raining a little, but this is better. Fun fact: it can be raining and foggy at the same time, and it’s getting foggy. I was concerned about being on the interstate as we went over the Atchafalaya basin, but visibility was pretty good. I could see a car a half-mile-back without its headlights on, so we had enough visibility. The stretch of I-10 was uneventful, thank God, and we exited to I-49 at just before 9am, with 140 miles of our thousand behind us. BUT, to be fair, 3 hours and 140 miles is about 45 miles per hour average, which is faster than required, if we can keep it up. Scooters are not really able to go faster to make up time. On the interstate, we are already at 90% of top speed.

We arrived in Opelousas,La., at about 9:12 am, just a little over 3 hours from our re-start and Kevin decided he’d had enough for one day. His rain gear had completely failed him. His torso, crotch and feet were all wet, and from here on the temperatures were going to drop. As it turns out, Kevin didn’t zip his waterproof liner into his new 3-season jacket. He had the liner on... just not zipped, so it had migrated it’s way around to his back. We pulled into a truck stop and Kevin changed into dry clothes and shoes... who brings extra shoes???? Kevin’s initial shoes were rubber soled “gum-shoes”, but didn’t cover the ankles, and definitely weren’t covered well by his rain-pants, so I guess it’s no surprise that his feet got soaked.

We topped off our tanks, and turned back home. Interstate 49 ends in Lafayette, La, and we decided to keep going that way, on Hwy 90, back to New Orleans. The road is awful! We kept changing lanes looking for relief from the uneven cement slabs. Our little tires don’t absorb all of those bumps like a car does. We tried to stop at a Waffle House in New Iberia, but CLOSED. We found one open in Morgan City an hour later. WH was typical, good-food-fast, but by the time we rearranged the deck chairs on this cruise, our stop cost us an hour and ten minutes. I was worried that they were going to charge us rent or something. At least I could take off my rain coat and let my inner jacket dry some. My rain gear hadn’t failed, but invariably some rain hits your exposed neck, and your shirts start wicking all of that moisture around.

Remember all of that rain we had encountered earlier??... well we caught back up to it and drove through two bands of steady rain. I finally arrived home at 2:15 after about 340 miles on the day. What to do with all of this time on my hands but go to the Tulane football game after a quick hot shower!

Lessons Learned: don’t underestimate the impact that rain and rain-gear will have on your typical routine. Here are a list of things that I was not dealing well with:
• I had water-resistant covers for my gloves. These were mitten-style, so I lost finger dexterity. For one thing, I typically have a couple of fingers on the brake levers and the other fingers holding the handlebar-grip. Not possible with mittens. Second, it was hard to write my mileage on the receipt, which is a necessity for scoring.
• Water resistant is a euphemism for something, but my hands were macerated and pruney by the time I got to Avondale.
• I have a touch-screen stylus on a tether, and have one on each layer of my suit, but in the rain they are flakey
• My iPhone is susceptible to water droplets hitting the screen and doing weird things, so I had a cover over the screen, which typically works okay, but not with a stylus or rain-gloves, etc. I preach to my friends to practice these things, like I have. But nothing was working correctly, and it was compounding the issues.
• The “poncho” on my iPhone also kept it from recognizing the stylus at the edges of the screen, so I couldn’t swipe.
• Siri voice commands will work to a point also, but kept misinterpreting “open Scenic” by opening the Sonic app. I’ve since deleted the Sonic app.
• I have a double pouch system for my receipts. The wet receipts were still a problem. I’ve got to address this time wasting issue with some sort of clip-board, or some plastic that will make a good writing surface.
• I’ve got to get better gloves for the rain.
• Gas pumps shouldn’t prompt for extra button pushes to get gas... asking for my phone number while I was wearing mittens really annoyed me. If not so frustrated at that point I could have used my stylus, but I just wanted to get gas!!!

Also, a few things did work for me that should be mentioned for any novices reading this:
• My rain gear worked well. I have a Nelson Rigg rain suit, big enough to fit over ALL of my other gear. Pay good money for one that you hope you’ll never use. But, you’ll get your money’s worth the first time you use it.
• V-wipes from Aerostitch. These little miracles of silicone allow you to remove rain, mist and road grime from your helmet’s visor. I keep mine tethered to the cuff of my jacket with paracord. It’s always there as a talisman against the rain. When needed, I slip it over my thumb and keep it there for the remainder of the ride.
• Tether stuff to your self or your bike. When you’re fully geared up, stooping to pick something off the ground while wearing gloves is a PITA. I keep my credit card in a tethered badge holder. It is perfect for tap-to-pay, and I can easily slide my card out for a chip reader, then it goes right back in it’s holder.
• My touchscreen-stylus on a retractable IDbadge tether. I’m disappointed at how poorly gloves that claim to be touchscreen friendly really work, so I don’t rely on them. The stylus works well no matter which gloves I’m wearing.
• A side note here... those of you that say “leave your phone in your pocket” can keep that unhelpful advice to themselves. In my opinion you are better off mastering your devices than hiding them. Invariably you’re going to need it at some point that you didn’t plan on, and are going to put yourself at greater risk trying to fish your device out of its hiding place.
• A shameless plug for QuadLock and their wireless charging head. My quadlock set up is reasonably expensive when you add up all of the components, but for as much as I ride, it’s reasonable. I’ll get my money’s worth. Getting my iPhone on and off the mount is easy, and it’s charging all the time without me fooling with a cable... especially in the rain.
• Although my Sena worked well all day, I’m going to apply silicone grease to the o-rings to improve its weather resistance. Better safe than sorry. And it’s not a bad idea to put it in a bag of rice after a long weekend in the rain.

In conclusion, everyone should decide for themselves if distance riding for a Certificate is a Team Sport or not. It’s hard enough to get all of your own ducks in a row on a challenging ride... It’s a near miracle when two people can get it together, but in the end, it’s safer. I have made good friends through riding, and I’m glad to help them achieve IBA status too, but I reserve the right to tease them about their mistakes. Regardless, you have to be prepared to fail.

We’ve already started talking about our next attempt, but I’m curious what lessons Kevin learned.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@XYZZY - Good on you for writing up and sharing your experience. It's important for people to understand that not every SS1K attempt is successful, but that doesn't mean you didn't learn things from it. And that it's equally important to realize when it's time to call it off for your safety. You can always ride another day!

Documenting things in the rain is a real challenge. I've done endurance rallies in the rain when polaroids and paper maps were used and have a scooter SS1K under my belt, (on a 150cc), so have some experience with what you faced on your ride.

Some additional lessons:

Water proof gloves, often aren't.
Even waterproof gloves can be extremely difficult to put on wet hands. Sometimes you have to resort to the gloves you can still put on wet hands, regardless of if the gloves are wet or not themselves.

Triple Digit style over gloves with gauntlets give you more dexterity than mittens and the gauntlet goes inside or outside depending on your arm angle to the bars so water doesn't run inside your jacket sleeve.

Heated grips help a lot when you have wet hands. And they are always on the bike/scooter. All my motos get them.

When you're dealing with paper, be that a log or receipts, etc., you're going to have to take off your gloves, AND dry your hands. A small towel stored inside your jacket and/or in a zip loc baggie can be a life saver. Bring more than one if you know you're in for a rain day. Keep them separate so when one becomes too wet to use, you can move to the next dry one. Golf towels work well for this, or just dollar store kitchen towels.

Receipt storage must be completely waterproof. Those thermal paper receipts don't survive getting wet most of the time. And it's no good putting a wet receipt in with other dry receipts, it will just end up gluing them all together. Get another receipt, if necessary.

If you don't have waterproof boots, sticking your feet inside plastic bags, then in your boots, (or even shoes), will keep your feet dry, even if your boots/shoes get wet. That's a big thing for comfort.

Those little hand warmers can be very helpful at times. And they sell foot warmers that are like an insole.

I know what you said, but touch screens + rain don't function well, or at all sometimes. It's not about your gloves or your stylus, it's the design of the screen. TFT displays can have issues too.

Wet at night = cold unless the temps are really tropical. A heated base layer shirt or jacket liner can make the difference, but it has a buy in cost.

You can buy mini clipboards and cut them down, then bolt them to a Ram Ball and mount them on the bars if you have the room. Or buy just the clip and use your own plastic. Using a simple freezer zip loc bag with this works for route notes, or simply use some rubber bands or hair ties to secure your receipts for photos with the odo. You need top and bottom bands when it's windy. And as you said, practice in day and night conditions to know how to get a legible photo unless you have an analog odometer. Digital dashes can be not fun in some light conditions.
Mini clip1.jpeg
Mini clip2.jpeg

Kydex works great if you want to make your own. Doesn't chip/crack like plexiglass and other plastics and is heat formable with a blow dryer or heat gun.

Links are examples, there are always other sources. If you have a local plastics shop, you might even get a remnant piece for free if you ask nicely. Or use that handy scrap of aluminum you have lying around.

Specific to scooter rides, skip the little bottles for a cert ride. You want to run down to your reserve or near it, then fill completely from one jug. Less fuss, less potential for issues. And make sure you have a spout you can use at night w/o too many "safety features". Secured to the scooter, but easy to get off and re-secure. I like Rok straps over bungie cords, for many reasons. And not the ones with hooks! They are looped to the bike and don't fall off when you un-do them with the quick release. And they are quick to re-secure and snug back down.

This was moments before I left for my Natchez Trace 1000 ride.
ss1k picsmall.jpeg

EddyC

IBA Member
XYZZY : [QUOTE=" • A side note here... those of you that say “leave your phone in your pocket” can keep that unhelpful advice to themselves. In my opinion you are better off mastering your devices than hiding them. Invariably you’re going to need it at some point that you didn’t plan on, and are going to put yourself at greater risk trying to fish your device out of its hiding place. [/QUOTE]

First: nice write-up and thanks to both XYZZY and EricV for the advice. I'm sure there are lessons to be learned.
For me, I still learn every day...;-)

I assume you use your phone as a navigation device? I couldn't make that up reading your report (perhaps I missed that reading the text).
If that is not the case, try to reflect on the reason why you carry a phone and try to imagine some situations where you really *need* one.

In my experience, if you find yourself in a critical situation, you can only use what you have on you. In those circumstances there might not be a possibility to go and find your phone: stolen, fallen off in traffic, drowned in the rain or on the bike upside down in a ditch somewhere in the middle of nowhere...
I sometimes have a tendency to exaggerate, I know, but I only try to explain my point of view.
Situation "red" can happen instantly, unexpectedly and irreversibly, I 've seen that happen many a times.

So, my advice is as follows: do keep your phone in your pocket and protect it as best you can.
Get a device that is designed to navigate so if need be you can use your phone for what it is ment for.
You said it yourself: "...you’re going to need it at some point that you didn’t plan on..."

I still don't think that "keeping your phone in your pocket" is "unhelpful advice" but I guess we agree to disagree... :)

In case I offended someone, that was not my intention...apologies.

Best of luck and stay safe...
Ed.

Which model of Sena is not water tight?
Kevin and I both have 50S's. On a ride last year in a pouring rain, we lost comms. I forgot to put mine in rice overnight, and the following day I was isolated from the others. After a day of riding in dry air, my Sena dried out and was useful again. So, Kevin is justified in protecting his Sena. I have developed other "best practices". We do a lot of all day rides. Invaribly someone will have their mic in the wind, drawing down batteries faster than just listening to music on your own all day. I like to have my Sena on a little power bank as I start the day, and remove it and seal the charging port if we encounter rain. Also, I remind everyone in the group to recharge their Sena while we take a lunch break. AND, just this week, I opened up my Sena and used silicone grease on both sides of the o-ring. In actuality, the antenna and the screw holes are all outside of the o-ring seal, but the charging port is the most vulnerable vector for water intrusion.

XYZZY : [QUOTE=" • A side note here... those of you that say “leave your phone in your pocket” can keep that unhelpful advice to themselves. In my opinion you are better off mastering your devices than hiding them. Invariably you’re going to need it at some point that you didn’t plan on, and are going to put yourself at greater risk trying to fish your device out of its hiding place.
First: nice write-up and thanks to both XYZZY and EricV for the advice. I'm sure there are lessons to be learned.
For me, I still learn every day...;-)

I assume you use your phone as a navigation device? I couldn't make that up reading your report (perhaps I missed that reading the text).
If that is not the case, try to reflect on the reason why you carry a phone and try to imagine some situations where you really *need* one.

In my experience, if you find yourself in a critical situation, you can only use what you have on you. In those circumstances there might not be a possibility to go and find your phone: stolen, fallen off in traffic, drowned in the rain or on the bike upside down in a ditch somewhere in the middle of nowhere...
I sometimes have a tendency to exaggerate, I know, but I only try to explain my point of view.
Situation "red" can happen instantly, unexpectedly and irreversibly, I 've seen that happen many a times.

So, my advice is as follows: do keep your phone in your pocket and protect it as best you can.
Get a device that is designed to navigate so if need be you can use your phone for what it is ment for.
You said it yourself: "...you’re going to need it at some point that you didn’t plan on..."

I still don't think that "keeping your phone in your pocket" is "unhelpful advice" but I guess we agree to disagree... :)

In case I offended someone, that was not my intention...apologies.

Best of luck and stay safe...
Ed.[/QUOTE]

No offense taken, and you offer good advice to go with your opinion... so thanks for adding to the discussion. If money were no object, I'd have a dedicated Nav unit. You also make a good point about Situation Red. The iPhone does have a crash-detection function, and hopefully it would still work if we were both in a ditch when I need it the most.

I'm sorry that I skipped the detail about using my iPhone for navigation purposes... the reference to "Scenic" when I was giving voice commands was not a very good explanation. I use Scenic for my ride planning and my ride tracking. After the ride, I like the way I can see the pauses in my track to determine time lost at fuel and food stops, although, it would do that from the safety of my pocket just fine.

But, I use my phone for more than just that (using it for what it was meant for)...
- Weather
- Waze for traffic conditions
- Sena Motorcycles App for rejoining the group
- Find My Friends feature
- Apple wallet to use Gas Station specific apps
- Tour of Honor app on those rides
- Notes app where I will store addresses that I can touch to instantly map to
- SWTracker app for submitting my fuel receipt photos
- All the apps above are clustered on my bottom row of apps on the main screen
- In addition, I have an automation that runs on my iPhone when bluetooth connects to my Scooter to launch all of those apps so they are among the most recent
- in addition, my setup includes a wireless charging head, so my phone stays charged on a long ride, regardless of the many tasks I use it for.

The safer course of action would be to pull over each time I needed to refer to the phone, but safer than that is having it next to my easy chair at home where I regret all the rides I didn't take. There are inherent risks in what we do, and we should not increase that risk unnecessarily. But like all of the other skills that should be mastered, one must practice. Hopefully under controlled circumstances.

In my day-job, we try to eliminate or at least reduce Human Errors by identifying Error Traps. Change/Abnormal is one of my "favorites". The idea is that when the situation is new or novel, more errors occur due to the non-standard situation. My approach to minimize the impact is to practice. My iPhone is a tool that I sue throughout my day, to stick it in my pocket while riding creates its own Error Trap. In summary, "keep your phone in your pocket" is about the same as "keep your motorcycle in the garage". They are both safer options, but I'm not going to do either.

Last edited:

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I like to have my Sena on a little power bank as I start the day, and remove it and seal the charging port if we encounter rain.
We are still running SMH-10s. Early on in our experience with them we would start the day fully charged only to find them dead six hours later. Having a jump battery in our pocket ready to go worked but we were never fast enough to go from "Low Battery" to "Good Bye" before we could get them connected.

After a couple times of that happening, we started leaving with them connected and would only disconnect in the worst of rain. The 10,000 mAh jump batteries we use are small enough to remain unobtrusive in our jacket pocket but powerful enough that during the IBR this year we never really needed to charge them. I think we plugged them in at CP2, but that was more of a CYA move seeing as how Leg 3 was five days.

As for the devices themselves, we have never protected them from the rain and our mics are tucked inside our Shoei Neotechs and have not been a problem.

The only issue I ever had was after our crash in '19 mine would no longer charge (landing on it may have had something to do with that :confused:). By the time we got to CP1 a new one was waiting for us and I am still using it daily in a tropical environment. :)

@XYZZY - Good on you for writing up and sharing your experience. It's important for people to understand that not every SS1K attempt is successful, but that doesn't mean you didn't learn things from it. And that it's equally important to realize when it's time to call it off for your safety. You can always ride another day!
Thanks, Eric!

I appreciate all of the info. I have to say, I'm surprised at the interest in our failed attempt. I know that we are not the only ones that have to abandon a ride due to circumstances like these.

I know I'm on the right track. My failure in May did prove that I could ride the distance and, just as important, my Vespa GTS 300 was up to the challenge. We did over 1500 miles that weekend, but missed SS1K by about 80 miles, missed the RALA by one or three hours depending on how I tell the story... Officially three hours.

I think your best advice though, is take off my gloves and dry my hands while handling the receipts. Considering that they are a single-point-of-failure on a cert ride, I should just focus on a simple solution, and that's the simplest. I have a thought that I may post as a separate question... but with the proliferation of Gas-Station-Specific apps, can I use those receipts as a back-up to a wet reciept. They won't have the mileage on them, but a photo of the odo next to a wet receipt and then an electronic receipt as back up could certainly have value. Coincidentally, the rules for receipts are changing as of 1/1/24, requiring photos of all DBRs. All this time, I thought it was already a requirement!

Had we gone another 100 miles further, I think I would have continued on alone. I could have unzipped layers to get some circulating air to dry myself since I was barely damp. I had a dry set of gloves, and I do carry those hand-warmer packets. I was prepared for a chilly ride. I was also carrying a 3-gallon fuel bladder. In practice, that could allow me to skip two gas stations, and therefore two receipt debacles. The 1.5 liter bottle is purely there for emergencies. It is too cumbersome to refill when you're on the clock.

Also, my boots performed well. I have Tecovas cowboy boots, with a rubber sole, and I've treated them with "Sno Seal". I even slathered some on the stitching that holds the sole to the upper, just to minimize water intrusion there. I'm going to treat them further up the leg, but my boots and feet were never an issue.

I think I have seen those triple-digit gloves before and now I get it. They look like something for a sci-fi alien, but really just a better design for our "space suit".

Thin base layers and thermal layers are working well for me so far. I like the idea of a heated vest or jacket, but it would probably have to be battery powered. My Vespa is at about its maximum for electrical load already. I also have a cheap face mask... half of a balaclava really. It Velcros in the back, and has a little bit of a dickie. I'll keep my eyes open for one that disburses my breath better, but it was money well spent regardless. I didn't use it in the rain, because I wanted it when the temps turned colder, and if it was wet it would have been miserable.

So I'll focus on my Continuous Improvement mission:
- Carry an extra set of winter gloves
- Waterproof the "waterproof" covers. Maybe some sort of "ScotchGuard"
- Perhaps Sno Seal my winter gloves, at least on the outside, that will slow down the water absorption
- Hippo Hands over the grips (I don't know if everyone calls them that, but the covers that go over the grips that you slip your hands into. I saw them in Europe on all those Piaggio MP3s zooming around the roundabouts in the cold rain)
- Neck gaiter that will slow the flow of rain down my neck
- take the "poncho" off of the iPhone at fuel stops
- Rain-X on the inside of my visor as well... When I'd flip my visor open, or leave it cracked to reduce fogging, rain would run down the inside of the visor. I have a pinlock visor, but still, breath will fog it up temporarily.
- Carry Contact lenses for rainy riding. I was wearing contact lenses that morning, and it is a great strategy to prevent having yet another foggy lens to see through. Putting them in, in the middle of a ride does mean a long stop, but it will be worth it. Why not just ride with them 100% of the time? Because they fatigue my eyes faster.

The quest for perfection continues!

--Bobby

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I ride a Honda ADV150 as my scooter. It will support electric jacket liner, heated grips and extra lights. That is in part due to the rest of the world getting the Auto-Idle feature that we don't get in the US, so a bigger alternator/starter unit. I realize Vespas are a little more delicate. During the Scooter Cannonball, all the Vespa riders would be doing repairs and maintenance at the end of each day, the rest of us would be hanging out or sleeping.

With the Vespa, I would seriously consider a lap apron/leg cover if I rode in the rain/cold a lot, along with the Hippo Hands. I have hand guards on my scooter and motorcycle which help some, but the full coverage would do better.

SnoSeal is great stuff. I've used that for decades on boots. On 'waterproof' items, I have been using Durable Water Repellent products like Gear Aid since it is safe for GoreTex products as well. I still keep some ScotchGuard around too. I have considered, but not explored the superhydrophobic products like NeverWet for leather gloves and non-waterproof boots.

For the glasses, some of my PacNorWet riding friends swear by Cat Crap. I'm a bi-focal wearer, so no contacts for me. And while I have always gotten some water inside the visor too, my Pinloc inserts have done the job and eyeglass fogging has been minimal for me. (I grew up in Oregon, where if you didn't ride in the rain, you didn't ride.)

With the Vespa, I would seriously consider a lap apron/leg cover if I rode in the rain/cold a lot, along with the Hippo Hands. I have hand guards on my scooter and motorcycle which help some, but the full coverage would do better.
I have a scooter "kilt" that I've used for a few years. It wears kind of like an apron around your waist, and has velcro straps to to wrap around your calves. It really helps keep the wind/rain off of your thighs without being in a cocoon. It is my most loaned-out piece of gear. Keep in mind that I "Vespa Everywhere" so I need solutions for getting to work as well as Riding for Certs. The apron is un-obtrusive, and can keep my slacks dry on my commute to the office.

I tried Cat Crap years ago, and I didn't like it. I'll try it again sometime... if I can find it. The biggest reason that my eye glasses fog up is due to the balaclava. Being cold and rainy just exacerbates the whole eye glass situation. Wearing contacts for that portion of the ride is a good solution for me. Speaking of... have you ever tried multi-focal? I swear by them, but they're not for everybody.

And thanks for the other product names. I'll be on the lookout.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Wearing contacts for that portion of the ride is a good solution for me. Speaking of... have you ever tried multi-focal? I swear by them, but they're not for everybody.
I haven't tried contacts. Age related farsighted is my issue. I didn't wear glasses until my mid 40's. I've been wearing progressive bi-focals since then. At first I only needed them for work, (tiny graduations on micrometers, etc.) Then I needed them full time and when riding so I could read the speedo, and see out in front of me. My far correction is very slight. Near is about a +2 now.

I knew about multi-focal contacts, but hadn't explored that option. Do you use Concentric, Aspheric or Segmented bifocal contact lenses? Any opinions on the different styles, for riding or in general?

Do you use Concentric, Aspheric or Segmented bifocal contact lenses? Any opinions on the different styles, for riding or in general?
I don't know, so I'm going to assume Concentric. They are not Segmented, that is for sure. Specifically, I use J&J 1-Day ACUVUE® MOIST® Multifocal with LACREON® with Max Add. I know that mine are UV Blocking also, but that may be a feature of all modern contact lenses since they tend to focus light at the edge of the lens. My scrip is not specific to riding, so I get corrected distance which throws off my near vision, hence the multifocal giving me built in cheaters to see my dash, or watch. This also allows me to wear cheap wraparound sunglasses for riding into the sun. Otherwise I don't wear sunglasses. The wraparounds also prevent the wind from drying my eyes, but I rarely employ them.

When attempting my RALA ride, I took my lenses out as soon as the light was fading, and resorted to my prescription glasses. I didn't want to make my eyes any more tired than absolutely necessary, at roughly 20 hours into the ride.

My best advice is to get a sample, since... you know... YMMV!

--Bobby

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the input @XYZZY Segmented seemed unpleasant from the description. I didn't like the one pair of 'std' bifocal glasses at all, having started with progressive lens. The Aspheric is far vision in the center, and basically ramps up to near as you move to the outside of the lens. The concentric has alternating rings of near and far, which seems funky, but what I read is you adapt to it fairly quickly. I don't wear sunglasses since my helmets have a drop down sun visor.