Stedi Type-X Evo 4"

Ed.

Premier Member
On the way over to WA the other Week I finally got sick of the half-arsed driving lights on the FJR. It was never really set up for big days but it has evolved in that direction. Coincidentally while over there I came arcoss a new light from Stedi - the Type-X Evo 4".

(Woah, BIG image!!)

Long story made short, they accompanied me on the return trip.

At under $400 they are not the cheapest but a long way from the worst. If they were so overpackaged like high end camera equipment, they'd be under $350!

stedi-pack1.jpg

stedi-pack2.jpg

Fabbed up a couple of simple mounts hung off the mirrors and they plugged straight into my existing wiring. (complete with Nullarbor bugs still)

mountscrop.jpg

Spread and distance are both pretty good. This parking area is maybe 60m long.

Stedi_spread.jpg

Overall I'm pretty impressed. I was generally comfortable sitting at around 100-105 with them, although it was only a couple of nights after full moon which helps. While certainly not the greatest light around, for the money and more importantly the electrons spent they are an new excellent option. The Gen 1 feejar is somewhat electron limited so the fact these only draw around 54W is a huge bonus. With these, a gps, phone charger and SPOT plugged in I'm sitting on about 13.3V compared to about 13.0/12.9V when I was running the Rigid driving pattern. So that's a big win!

One fly in the ointment I have discovered since getting home is that the bolts in the side attaching the brackets are somehow dodgey. I found they were very tight when trying to loosen them for adjustment and in trying to undo them to see what was going on the threads binded and wouldn't move. I stripped the threads off one using ALL the ugga duggas and then stripped the allen heads out of two others! And that was even after I was being very careful on the second light after trouble with the first... not cool. It is almost like the threads of the bolt and the nut don't quite match.

Biggles

Premier Member
Interesting that they don't appear to have cooling fins in the back. I deduce the price you quote is for one. I get similar beam for just over $200 each for Jaycar SL-3919 LEDs throwing 3486 lumens. However, I just looked at their catalogue and can't see any 4.5" lights, only 7" and 9", but both under $200 if you can tolerate that size.

Dicky Knee

Ed.

Premier Member
Yep 195 each. 400 each would move them into a whole other market segment (and I wouldn't have casually bought them mid trip...)

Definitely have cooling fins on the back.

Never been overly excited by the jaycar ones - reasonable amount of light but splashed everywhere without much punch. I think last time I looked the motorcycle appropriate sized ones weren't stocked any more.

Biggles

Premier Member
Thanks for the clarification- yes, obvious now. I'm just used to Clearwater class dollars for good lights.
Sad that the hardware is so dodgy- such a simple thing to get right. Were you able to substitute good bolts?
I might be in the market, as mine have done a lot of hours and could be approaching end-of-life. Regarding the beam of the Jaycar ones, I have the spot version- they also used to have a flood version in the same format. Mine have a quite distinct bright centre beam without excessive scatter.

Ed.

Premier Member
Thanks for the clarification- yes, obvious now. I'm just used to Clearwater class dollars for good lights.
Sad that the hardware is so dodgy- such a simple thing to get right. Were you able to substitute good bolts?
I might be in the market, as mine have done a lot of hours and could be approaching end-of-life. Regarding the beam of the Jaycar ones, I have the spot version- they also used to have a flood version in the same format. Mine have a quite distinct bright centre beam without excessive scatter.
Yep, definitely not as good as Clearwaters that I have seen but at 1/3(?) the price, I can forgive that. But in the flip side they are way better than the jaycars and the like, that I have seen. But at ~2.5x the price, I demand that! They are a mid tier light with excellent light throw and bang for both your dollar and electron.
Glen has some slightly cheaper price, but way heavier power draw (80W each!) ones that I am keen to compare these to. My suspicion is they will hold their own. But regardless of that comparison, there is no way I could run a 160W light rig on the fjr. If you have more electrons available you may be able to get similar or maybe even better output for less money.

Re; those bolts. I suspect you could get away without ever needing to remove the bolts from those brackets and therefore never have an issue. Before I tried to remove them and they bound, I could loosen them enough to allow adjustment. I wanted to remove them because they just didn't feel right and that's when they started binding. I've got no idea if it is on all items, but it was on both of my lights. Yes, I have been able to fix them, although I'm lucky a mate has a mill I was able to use...

Vlad

Premier Member
Did you go for just the spot variety Ed or a combo?. The spec sheet puts them at 2500 lumens measured, which would seem by your pic to make them efficient. Good to see that they are 5 instead of 6 thousand kelvin in the color range, gives more definition and reduces eye strain from reflection, same as Clearwater. Much better contrast as well.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Stedi make some decent products for the price. Hadn't seen the Evo 4's but they appear to be following 'the formula' pretty well. I run a pair of Stedi MCX25s on both my bikes and they have about half the throw these spots do (1lux @ 245m vs 580m for the Evo4's) for about the same wattage.
This is still one space where it can definitely be a case of 'you get what you pay for' in terms of performance.

Dicky Knee

I went with Stedi for my headlight 'conversion' - 2007 FJR. Super impressed with these:
STEDI MOTORCYCLE H4 LED HEADLIGHT CONVERSION KIT NIGHT PILOTS
At the time (April 2022) they were $140 for the pair.

I have the Denali DX LED dual intensity lights (no longer available). These can really piss some truckers off if they are not aligned correctly - eh Russ?
1712034086640.jpg

My point being....the Stedi product is great value for money and when the Denalis no longer shine, will be looking at the Stedis as a worthwhile replacement.