The Great Escape 23/24 March 2024

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
So new bike, new gear, first serious ride since last summer. I finally got round to considering the details last week (who needs planning and preparation). I arrived in Calais Friday night in summer gloves to stave off the northern French rain, checked in to Ibis Styles and parked next to a pair of intimidating looking GSAs then visited the Family Pub for a beer and burger before bed.

0230 check out, GSAs still tucked up, I set off gently through the streets of Calais for the 24hr fuel station start. As many will know, I'm not the fastest rider so I was unsurprised when, having stopped for coffee some way up the motorway, the two GSAs caught me just before turning off to Antwerp. Some while later in a traffic queue in Germany, not filtering because I'm a goody-goody, I was passed by an apparently British rider with a chicken-related number plate.

On final approach to Stalag Luft III, I waved to two bikes coming the other way - see, I'm really not that fast. On arrival I was concerned to note that my waypoint "Zagan - fuel" was actually the museum! I had a second waypoint "Zagan - museum" which might have been fuel but, just to be safe, I asked Garmin for "petrol stations". I then visited a lawn mower repairer who also sold camping gaz before finding an Orlen petrol station.

20 miles from Colditz, in the dark and the rain, I stopped for a wee and thought about life, the universe, and long-distance riding. I've been to Colditz before, it didn't impress me and it's all out of the way and stuff and I thought "can I be arsed with this?" I thought about finding a hotel in Colditz but that didn't appeal either so I decided to head straight for my booked hotel, 4 hours away. Stupid idea but then I remembered that this is the 21st century so asked booking.com to find me somewhere convenient. I chose "Bergrestaurant Schwedenstein" and weaved gently through village streets and country lanes until I parked in woodland on top of a hill. I will go there again! Sometimes you just land on your feet.

Sunday morning, fully refreshed, I still couldn't bring myself to see Colditz. I asked Google for a route to Calais. It offered 10 hours but "this route is closed - no alternatives available". I should have taken a screenshot. I considered the impact of including Colditz and/or Ramstein and decided that "straight home" was best.

Germany offered me its best weather: 6-8c, strong headwinds with occasional crosswinds just for luck, lots of rain, 3m spray. All that stopped as I approached the NL border when the sun decided to show its face, very pleasant but, c'mon, directly in my face!

Eurotunnel Calais is always a welcome sight, the various border people were all in "end of shift" mode, smiles and waves, Eurotunnel's Sue apologised for making me board last - she doesn't know why, thinks it's "a French thing". I reached home at midnight, warm and dry and very pleased with my new V-Strom 1050. Miserable failure yet again but, who knows, I might improve.

Thanks for the inspiration @Ian M

Attachments

Last edited:

LenJ

Old Bike/New bike? All ok.
IBA Member
Good write up Bob, (from the clucking plate) I was looking out for the FJR and didn't realise you were going "incognito" with new gear and bike, maybe trying to escape ;)