Tyre repair screws

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Interesting. Thank you for posting the info.

My main concern with this type of plug is the lack of bonding to the tire on what is suggested is a permanent repair. I would consider it a temporary repair, so for me, just as simple to do a permanent repair with a sticky string that bonds to the tire and becomes a homogeneous repair.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Well done Damian a great contribution, I've ordered mine today to carry alongside my trusty sticky worms the idea being if I need a quick repair to get off a motorway or a dark wet, cold country lane.

Hope we only ever need use them in demonstrations.

not seen this type of screw in plug before. but amy type of plug repair be it string or screw in should only be considered a temporary repair, a patch on the inside of the tyre is considered more of a permanant fix but harder to do at the side of the road.
aftrer a massive puncture in ireland (i could put my finger in the hole). no plug would stay in for long it had to fit multipule plugs in to get any sort of seal. i invested in some stem patches you have to fit them from the inside of the tyre but the tyre can be fixed lots more work but when your stuck it could be the only option. patch is aprx 2 inch diameter

Attachments

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
As above these screws, sticky worms and any other repair made externally should only be considered as a temporary get you home fix. Here in the UK there is a British Standard for puncture repairs (BSAU159) that specifies the tyre has to be removed from the rim and inspected for any secondary damage, it also specifies the repair as an internally fitted vulcanised mushroom patch.

That said I've run car tyres over 35,000 miles and motorcycle tyres over 8,000 miles on sticky worm puncture repairs, however, you roll at your own risk any puncture repair is only ever going to be as good as it is applied.