Upcoming IBA Memorial Rides

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Planning my IBA Memorial BBG over the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend - It’s for those aboard Sultana - the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History. Will visit their memorial sites in Knoxville, Cincinnati, Mansfield and Muncie, then finishing at the Sultana Museum in Marion, AR. This year’s IBA Memorial Ride Period is 24-28 May. Info for IBA Memorial rides are found at this link and on the Rides of the Month Page. Stay Safe as you ride for our fallen:

https://ironbutt.com/themerides/memdayride/

Special Wing

Premier Member
Is this memorial ride in the big ride list? I recently watched documentary on the explosion/sinking of the Sultana near Memphis. It’s a tragic story.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Is this memorial ride in the big ride list? I recently watched documentary on the explosion/sinking of the Sultana near Memphis. It’s a tragic story.
Hi Mike: Appreciate your interest. Sultana-specific Memorial rides are not on the 'Big List' however an IBA Memorial ride over the Memorial Day Weekend is; found on the rides-of-the-month page here: Rides Of The Month (ironbutt.com) . I choose again this year Sultana Memorial locations as my IBA Memorial ride theme - in hopes this tragedy is not forgotten - all for those and the families of those who survived Andersonville and Cahaba prisons, who were captured and held there... for defending our Constitution, only to be packed on a faulty steamer in Vicksburg, Mississippi all coordinated by those who were riddled with greed, only to have that steamer en route 'up-north', explode just north of Memphis near Marion, Arkansas. Hope this helps. Doug

Special Wing

Premier Member
Well said…… documentary points out Union was paying per passenger so the operated over loaded Sultana AND operator knew the boiler had been “patched” in hopes of making one more fee paying trip up river.
Ride safe!