Went Down Hard Coming back from IBA Rally

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Thank goodness you and the boss didn't suffer more serious injuries or even death.

And it was commendable for you to admit your error. I made a similar error a few years back after bleeding the brakes on my cage. I had removed the wheels to make it easier to get at the calipers and rotate the tire also. I snugged down all the lug nuts and then came back with my torque wrench to finish the job properly but I neglected to torque the front left lug nuts. Eventually they loosened on a road trip and snapped 2 lug nut studs before I was flagged over by another motorist. The wheel was moving around making noisy, but I thought it was a bad front axle CV joint failing.

Since then I always double check the tightness of bolts / nuts after I complete work on the cage or bikes. Critical fasteners get a little blue locktite also. Live & Learn. Again, glad to hear you guys weren't hurt any worse !!

Ed.

Premier Member
Thanks for the update, Dave. And perhaps even more Thanks for the self awareness to admit to the user error. I've always operated on the thought that if I can't admit admit to the various silly things I've done then I'm destined to repeat them... most of them have been stupid enough that I really don't feel the need to do them again!

FLHXHS

Premier Member
Just reading this now. Glad you're both relatively ok.
Hope insurance treats you well, and you're smiling again soon while both on your new motorcycle. It sucks being "self-inflicted" - but it also reduces the doubt on what happened. Please keep us posted.

Get well soon.

Tep_52

Premier Member
Hey Dave glad to hear that you and your lady are ok. As far as your caliper goes I see this all of the time as a auto mechanic. Even if you tighten the bolt properly if you don't use loc time this can still happen. I have seen then cut into aluminum rims before the driver could stop. So a tire is no challenge. It would also disguise as a run flat situation with it rubbing on the side wall

maxrider

Premier Member
Dave glad you and your spouse did not sustain a more extensive injury, best wishes, and a speedy recovery.

And thanks for bringing this to the forum, made a believer out of me, for using Loctite on the caliper bolts.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I didn't use a torque wrench on my rear wheel only to have the lug nuts loosen months later, twice. I replaced both the lugs and nuts and now I use a torque wrench on anything brake/tire related.

Last edited: