What happens when the 1000th person completes the IBR?

Slasher

Premier Member
A three digit IBA number is one of the most coveted possessions in our little world (along with the IBR plate backer that comes with it). The finishers of the last IBR (who didn't already have a 3 digit number) received 5xx series IBA numbers, meaning (to me at least) that half of the potential 3 digit numbers are gone. Ive always wondered, what will the 1000th new IBR finisher's number be? Are 4 digit numbers reserved as well?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
A three digit IBA number is one of the most coveted possessions in our little world (along with the IBR plate backer that comes with it). The finishers of the last IBR (who didn't already have a 3 digit number) received 5xx series IBA numbers, meaning (to me at least) that half of the potential 3 digit numbers are gone. Ive always wondered, what will the 1000th new IBR finisher's number be? Are 4 digit numbers reserved as well?
Yup.

What will happen is what happened when all the one-digit numbers were gone, and again when all the two-digit numbers were gone.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Oh, I didn't know what 3 digit number meant, I thought they had a three digit number because they were the first ones to join the IBA, so if you have a 3 digit number then your a IBR finisher. What number do the regular members start at? And the first person to join the IBA, what is their number?

Joseph Kappes

Kankujoe
Premier Member
2,000 is the first NON-IBR number... the IBR riders were the first in the IBA, Mike Rose, is member 0. He started it all but has never actually completed an IBA ride certification (so zero vs 1).
Interesting information about the history & structure of the IBA & IBR.

BkerChuck

So on a related note, when those folks who complete the IBR are awarded their new 3 digit number, are their "old " numbers then reassigned to new members? I ask because having just joined last year I noticed my issued number is lower than the numbers of others who completed rides before me.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
"What happens when the 1000th person completes the IBR?"

They still continue to be the world's most hard-core motorcyclists.

Roughly twenty-five percent thru the available quantity of numbers over the 16 IBR's (I did that math in my head; it might be in error) that have happened, yet only a handful of new members to the elite three-digit club happen in every IBR.

A generation (or two) away from having to worry about what happens at that point, I think.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So on a related note, when those folks who complete the IBR are awarded their new 3 digit number, are their "old " numbers then reassigned to new members? I ask because having just joined last year I noticed my issued number is lower than the numbers of others who completed rides before me.
Member numbers are issued in roughly the order in which the rides are completed. For example, it's not unusual for a rider to complete a ride and then for one reason or another they don't submit the ride for a couple of years. When the ride is certified, Mike will attempt to assign a number from the period of the ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

mkneebone

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Yes, IBA numbers are reallocated when they become available as we don't want any open spaces in the numbers. But to be clear, when a member passes away, that number is forever theirs and is never reallocated. We are talking numbers that are vacated for a reason, IBR rider gets 3 digit number, a duplicate number was issued because we did not catch they are the same John Smith that we issued a number to years ago (different address, etc), those kinds of things.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
It's what I love about the IBA, you have to earn everything, there's a lot of riders with some impressive riding resumes, and I'm proud to be part of it all.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Mike, Ira, how many NEW NON IBR members enter the IBR? There are many that run the IBR more than one time. If from the +-100 that enter 50% are new ( non 3 digit) and there is a 70% success, and if there are about 600 3-digit numbers left, you have another 34 years left without worries.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Mike, Ira, how many NEW NON IBR members enter the IBR? There are many that run the IBR more than one time. If from the +-100 that enter 50% are new ( non 3 digit) and there is a 70% success, and if there are about 600 3-digit numbers left, you have another 34 years left without worries.
That sounds about right.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association