What is your fuel window?

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What I was referring to is the distance-limit on an IBA ride (350 miles). Most people I speak with who have auxiliary fuel tanks tell me that they plan their stops to be around the 330-mile mark, so if you calculate for 350 miles, you would still have a nice little reserve. Planning for 400 miles, though, seems like overkill (for an IBA ride, that is).
But not all rides for everyone are IBA rides. During a rally there is no mileage limit. Plus during rallies we tend to be riding all night or at least late into the night/morning and there isn't always fuel available.

Plus when I do a trip I like the convenience of only stopping once during the day for fuel and topping off either at the end of the day or first thing in the morning.

But there is no right answer for everyone as we all have a different ride profile.

Before I go and test this myself - does anyone have a vague idea of the range of a modern street glide special? Not the traditional long distance bike from what I see, but someone might know already.
Actually, it's going to vary wildly based on rider weight (I'm kinda in the huge category), exhaust, etc. I guess I need to go test it. Hrm... I wonder what I'm doing this weekend.

Before I go and test this myself - does anyone have a vague idea of the range of a modern street glide special? Not the traditional long distance bike from what I see, but someone might know already.
Actually, it's going to vary wildly based on rider weight (I'm kinda in the huge category), exhaust, etc. I guess I need to go test it. Hrm... I wonder what I'm doing this weekend.
Rider weight, wind, temp, throttle control/cruise control, hills and hollows, fuel grade, luggage/bags. There are really a lot of things that can affect fuel mileage.
Ride your own ride how you would normally do and check your fuel mileage.