Workshop and National Meeting

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What would you like to see covered at the
1 Workshops- Talk to the experts
2 National Meeting- What would you like to be presented?

Do you have something you could present that would interest Iron Butt Riders?

Post here or email me [email protected]

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tyre repair competition ... Bring your repair kit.
Ist on scene...What to do.
Spotwalla
Beginers rally plamnning

Any more ideas for the morning workshops

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
How to replace wheel bearings by the side of the road? :p

Seriously, maybe a session on what tools and spares people take on LDRs. I carry puncture kit and compressor, but not enough tools to take a wheel out - is that sensible or not? That kind of thing.

Regards,
Martin

strangely because the age and mileage of my bike I had a set of front and rear wheel bearings with me and the tools to change them. the only thing I did not have for this task was jack to lift the front wheel of the ground figured I'd improvise for that bit.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Saturday Morning

so I need some volunteers to look after puncture competition
I'll provide batteries and battery pack etc

plus other stuff.

Who has expertise they want to offer?any more ideas?

Who can help with what

looked at the touratech gadget bit pricey for me think i'll have a go at making one will put it on my to do list. reasonable idea was just going to improvise something like house bricks? think I can make it better than just a prop and make it so it would jack the bike would not need to be to strong as it will tip back fairly easily on the centre stand

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm happy to sit and go through any Basecamp basics with anybody who needs help.

A couple of Triumph riders I know might benefit from this ;) :D

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
When you undo the wheel on a BMW it tends to lift that end as its soooo well balanced........

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Dave,

Sorry I missed your presentation, in fact the whole event!...but I recently gained a RoSPA Silver, lost the gold after the first 8 minutes of the test! bugger...
But all in all I highly recommend it, I've been riding for 35+ years, but I can honestly say I'm a much better rider for Advanced Training, more observant and constantly scanning, using the system....
...unless the satnav takes me up a mountain trail looking for a bobsleigh run in Austria during the Eurotour...double bugger.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Ok, well I didn't quite pass the test, one silly judgment call unfortunately but retest booked already and I'm confident I'll pass next time.

I spent an entire week in the classroom just before the Nat. meeting obtaining a Driver CPC card and I have spent Monday-Thursday this week learning to drive an 18tonne rigid lorry, class 'C' or HGV2 in old money. On Wednesday I was starting to think that I was just too old and stupid to ever master it. On Thursday I took a mock test incurring 15 minor faults and started to believe that I might just pull it off. Today I made one small error at the start of the test which meant I had to fail but for the rest of the hour's drive I had it nailed.

What's this got to do with motorcycles? When I took up riding motorbikes, aged 52, I was surprised to discover that the roads, the road signs, the traffic and just about everything else were completely different when viewed from a bike rather than a car. I've just had the same experience, aged 63, when moving to lorries. Both moves have had a major beneficial effect on my driving/riding. One day I'll be really good at it.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I was wondering what you were up to with all the early mornings you have been sharing on fB. Is this a career thing or just for the sake of doing it? How expensive is it now to get an HGV License. I paid for two one week courses for my son about ten years ago but he did not manage to get a pass and I ran out of money; I think it was £1,000 per week.

I would love to have the perspective of the road from a truck drivers point of view. I always say it is not until you walk in another's moccasins that you have some understanding. I have been a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist car drive and the occasional van but driving an HGV is definitely on my radar; can I afford it Bob?

When is your re-test?

Love, light and kindness,

Dave

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
How many times are you planning to live Dave?

Choose the things you want to do then find the money to do them - or are you planning a deathbed whinge about all the things you didn't do? An HGV licence is not cheap; so far I've spent £100 for a medical, another £100 or so on theory and hazard perception tests + £1600 for a classroom week + driving week + test and I've just committed to a further £300 for a retest (don't make any stupid mistakes next time!) I expect it'll be another £1200 or so get class 1 next year.

Why am I doing it? Part career thing, part I've always wanted to drive trucks.