Aussies @ IBR23 prep

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm picking good reminder info out of this topic Martin.

That fuel servo thing can be a trap for sure.

Years ago I made the mistake and had a couple of worrying hours and just scrapped in.

This is a really good topic to regain the knack.

Thank you for the reports and updates or your joint preparations for the IBR.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Spent our Sunday morning working on IBR stuff, and I have to say its a pleasure to be not working (at work)

1) Connecting our new Spotreach X to Spotwalla and making sure that was all working as it should be. Tick!
2) On our (actually Bec's) bonus waypoint/data management and integration with Basecamp and InRoute. More work required to refresh what was an old habit.

The list is shrinking, although at times it feels like its actually growing.

Need to sort out where we will fit a new set of tyes during the Rally

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Its been pretty quiet on the Rally prep front in the LittleMcCallum household. Finally managed to get away from work yesterday (Saturday 15 April) to ride a SS1600 and practise our Bonus Pont collecting routine. A good day riding plus starting to get into Rally mode. Still LOTS left on the to do list! :oops:

Bonus Point # 2. The Big Beehive @ Urunga, NSW

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Nice thinking Martin, packing a spare bike in the top box. Your an Ideas Man.

Does the "to do list" get shorter each time you look? or grows as the clock counts down?

Reading about the spare tyre thing has had me pondering too because I'm sure other IBR teams have had the same problem.
Do they just book tyres ahead at a dealers and make that fit a deviation in a route to fit. Or maybe they have a friend lined up to move tyres to a best location and swap them out during a sleep bonus perhaps?

Last edited:

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
[QUOTE="Gatey,
Reading about the spare tyre thing has had me pondering too because I'm sure other IBR teams have had the same problem.
Do they just book tyres ahead at a dealers and make that fit a deviation in a route to fit. Or maybe they have a friend lined up to move tyres to a best location and swap them out during a sleep bonus perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Gatey, we will fitting new tyres coming in to Check Point # 2 Denver, CO,. (at the end of Leg 2) This has worked for us before, as it allows us a breather before going in to get scored, plus we have fresh tyres for the 2nd half of the rally

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The preparations continue, Rebecca and I got out for our first 2up SS1600 yesterday, including practicing our bonus collection routine along the way. It was a simple 1,629km ride out to Mildura in Victoria, across the Hay Plain (the sunrise was spectacular) while collecting a few painted silos bonus's along the way, with a return leg along the same route. Here are a couple of photos from along the way. We have some work to do on our 2up routine as its been 4 years since IBR19 and we are rusty!

RAAF Base, Forest Hill, NSW. 5:15am after riding down from Canberra in the single digit temps

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good lessons learned, (re-learned). Since you have decided on the location for the tyre swap, consider not doing it on the clock. I found an independent motorcycle shop in '13 for tyre change. It was mostly a HD oriented shop, but the owner was hungry enough to be willing to stay open late and had no problem working on any brand. I posted this to the IBR riders only forum and several others lined up for this shop. He was happy to loan tools and allow riders to pull their own wheels if they wished to while he was doing oil or a tyre R&R to help speed things up. He made good money that day and the riders all got quick service. I shipped my tire to him ahead of the rally along with some consumables like socks, etc.

That year the BMW dealer that Lisa suggested to riders would only make appointments during business hours and only if they got enough would they be willing to bring a tech in on a Sat. I was unwilling to waste time on the clock or risk not getting the work done if my plan changed and I was running later than plan.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well, we are here in Minnesota, with the bike out of storage and the list of tasks required to get it Rally ready almost done. These included fitting the new MJM seats, lowered riders foot pegs, grip puppies and auxiliary mirrors. Will finish off the last of the to-do list on Monday, pack the bike Tuesday ready to head to Pittsburgh.

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Its wonderful to hear that Martin and Bec are getting it done!
I've arrive too and am in Anoka to the north of Minneapolis. My bike is in parts all over the shed floor, and cable-city to view, but everything is now working so we put it back together tomorrow morning. Then I get a test ride, hopefully to "the Up" and back to PN.