2002 R1150RT

AirbusFlieger

A well taken care of 1150RT with 15k miles be something to hold up on IBA rides?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

I do my own maintenance.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
People have ridden far less "optimal" bikes successfully on endurance rides.

The big question in my mind is one of desire - Do you want to ride a 20-year old bike badly enough that you're willing to do the maintenance and parts hunting required to keep it in good shape? And are you willing to take the time necessary to learn all of the bike's oddities?

Nothing wrong with old bikes. Just don't be lulled into thinking that everything is perfect and go in to it with blinders on. Be ready to do the work (literally and metaphorically).

I rode a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade on more than one very long ride (I even did an IBA run on it). But it took work, discipline, and a willingness to get creative about sourcing parts that were NLA.

AirbusFlieger

People have ridden far less "optimal" bikes successfully on endurance rides.

The big question in my mind is one of desire - Do you want to ride a 20-year old bike badly enough that you're willing to do the maintenance and parts hunting required to keep it in good shape? And are you willing to take the time necessary to learn all of the bike's oddities?

Nothing wrong with old bikes. Just don't be lulled into thinking that everything is perfect and go in to it with blinders on. Be ready to do the work (literally and metaphorically).

I rode a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade on more than one very long ride (I even did an IBA run on it). But it took work, discipline, and a willingness to get creative about sourcing parts that were NLA.
Good advice. I’m currently doing IBA rides on my 20 year old Harley Softail :)

EddyC

IBA Member
I've had one for several years. At the end the ABS pump failed, leaving me with a bike with no brakes.
Reparation/replacing the system would have costed me more then the bike was worth, so bye bye bike and hello to the new one.
Heard that this was typical for that series...
Good luck in your quest..
Ed.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I've had one for several years. At the end the ABS pump failed, leaving me with a bike with no brakes.
I always wondered if the master/slave cylinder ratio on those bikes was enough that you could just run stainless lines from the master cylinder directly to the calipers and bypass the ABS unit altogether.

AirbusFlieger

Reparation/replacing the system would have costed me more then the bike was worth, so bye bye bike and hello to the new one.
Heard that this was typical for that series...
Good luck in your quest..
Ed.
Thank you. Is this the era of the servo brakes?

Dave28117

Premier Member
I'm currently doing my rides on a 22 year old Goldwing. It's all good as long as you maintain it appropriately. Only thing I can't tell you is any oddities related to that particular BMW model. Parts and service availability would be a consideration. Had a friend on a K1200LT. He lost a starter and closest dealer was 100 miles away and had to order the part. We push started him the remainder of the trip. :D