2021 IBR

Looking around for the Spotwalla tracking page they do every year. (All riders same page, rider numbers anonymized). I've been poking around and havent seen anything. Does anyone have any info?
- Colin

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking around for the Spotwalla tracking page they do every year. (All riders same page, rider numbers anonymized). I've been poking around and havent seen anything. Does anyone have any info?
- Colin
Please remember, this is not a spectator sport. The last thing they want is people trying to meet up with riders or go to locations to watch. Low key is hard to do with 100 riders out there, but that's the best approach for the riders. The Spotwalla map, when posted will likely be after the fact reporting, as it should be.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm also thinking they're fuzzing the points quite a bit since they should all be packed together in the corral until 10:00 MST.
Some of the spot pings may have been done during the odo check while riders were doing check in and tech procedures.

kb1fch

Premier Member
I'm also thinking they're fuzzing the points quite a bit since they should all be packed together in the corral until 10:00 MST.
You maybe right, but you see that pretty regularly with spotwalla, it shows the last received point, since they only update every 5 to 10 minutes a rider may have arrived and turned off the device before it updated to show them actually at the hotel. It'll be interesting to see if they cluster tighter as it gets closer to the start time and the riders turn their trackers on.

Okay. It seems that they've all left the barn and are hitting the road.
Here's my very early prediction. The train pictured on the official poster/logo for the 2021 IBR is an American 4-4-0 Number 19. This is one of two locomotives that met at Promontory Utah. Which is around 2ish hours north of where they are.

And what makes that interesting is that while it appears to be a short distance from the interstate to get there. If you are heading West after that point you have a very long drive on rural roads before you see any civilization (or fuel) again.

- Colin

Edit. And on the way you would likely drive past the NASA test facility for the solid rocket boosters used on the Shuttle and now on the Artemis project. All fits with the "Technology" theme.

Sigh... I've got nothing done this morning and its barely started. This is gonna be a long two weeks....

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ahhh. That's a heck of a delay then.
Not really, the spot would be turned off after the odo check, no more pings, so you're seeing the last ping. Other riders likely left the spot on longer and their pings are at the hotel.

Youtube video of the start - HERE

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think that rider sleeping in Hinds is not doing well. Took them all day to get from the OR coast to Hinds and it's still a long ways to IN.

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think that rider sleeping in Hinds is not doing well. Took them all day to get from the OR coast to Hinds and it's still a long ways to IN.
Any idea what time the Carmel checkpoint closes? I know SpotWalla is delayed in it’s positional reporting, but I see him in Burns, OR - 2000 miles from Carmel, IN.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Checkpoint closes at 10 pm. Penalty points start at 8 pm. He could get there, but he's sleeping in. At first I thought maybe his spot was turned off when he spent so much time at the Coast. But either he has mechanical problems, medical issues or just gave up. He went to a bonus no one else did, so maybe he looked at the group spot page and realized his plan was no one else's plan...

brady

Premier Member
Theres a rider curently in the middle of Montana that seems to have some serious riding ahead of them to cover 1600+ miles and make the check in tomorrow evening.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are some risk takers out there. Two riders on small roads with a long ways to go, one rider going into FL while another comes out, one in DC that has enough time, one still going North in upstate NY, heading for VT? Less than 24 hours to Penalty.