2021 Ninja 1000SX Fuel Cell

Frenchman

Premier Member
IBA Member
I am looking at a couple different options for an auxiliary fuel tank on my 1000SX. Not looking to add 5 gal but definitely 2.5-3 gallons. Doing some research I came across a 2012 article by Joe Weber Auxiliary Fuel Cells with a lovely picture by Rich Beard of a Concourse with a low profile fuel tank on/in place of the pillion seat (see below) I really like this idea as opposed to having a rear rack on the motorcycle or taking up space in a panier (see below by Ducati Toronto). Another option I like about having a lower profile tank on the pillion seat is the option to mount a small case on top. Any information on the options shown below would be great. I have also attached a picture of my 1000SX. For reference that is a 20L dry bag on the pillion seat.

Thanks!

1683050653076.png 1683051432870.png 20210910_161843.jpg

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Your pictures are of custom fuel cells. The pannier one was stupid expensive. The Connie 14 one, less so, but still a custom unit, likely mounted to a custom plate in place of the pillion seat.

Are you wanting this for a single ride, or for rally use, or just a series of cert rides or trip you want to take? The answer dictates your options. What might be acceptable for a single ride would be less costly, but not meet rally rules or be as secure and safe.

If you want something safe and secure for extended use or rally use, it will need to be mounted solidly to the bike. Likely removing the pillion seat and using available locations to bolt a mounting plate to the bike's rear subframe, then mounting the fuel cell to that plate.

You can find aluminum fuel cells in various sizes, but for that capacity you will mostly find simple square designs with mounting tabs, or the spun aluminum cylinder designs. Either of these could be used, but won't be as low profile or streamlined as a custom unit. They will be much more cost effective than a custom unit though.

One example of a cylinder style - LINK Not ideal, but an example. You will want a non vented cap and a second bung up high for a vent/overflow line, ideally with a threaded in roll over valve.

Then there is the discussion about how you want to get the fuel into the main tank? Bulkhead fitting, (arguably the proper way), or half ass it with a vent line feed and hope it works well enough for your needs. (yes, I have an opinon. :cool: )

There is always more to discuss about fuel cell design. Baffles or foam or neither, filters, valve location, etc.

Frenchman

Premier Member
IBA Member
This would be for eventual rally use and a planned 48/9 in 10 ride in 2024 where I would want it bolted to a plat similar to a Tusk pillion rack. I was also thinking about removing the rear foot pegs and bolting support arms to them as well. I like the tusk pillion rack idea as it makes it easier to remove when not needed.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It appears that the Tusk Pillion rack is not intended as a direct fit to your bike. That said, there isn't any reason to spend that kind of money for a mounting plate for a fuel cell. Find a local metal supply business and figure out the size you need, then ask if they have a remnant about that size.

Alternate method, find a water jet cutting business local to you and make a cardboard template the shape you need for your base plate, including any slots for straps and get a quote for it to be cut for you from aluminum plate. Probably at least .1875", if not .25" thick.

Drill holes, cut as needed, bolt to bike and verify clearance, plan where you're going to mount the valve, inline, secured to something, or mounted to the tank where you can reach it with the left hand. Include a clear plastic fuel filter in the concept, (no glass or fancy ones that can be taken apart), find the filter you like that fits where you want, buy 3. Always carry a spare. Plan on dry break fittings so you can easily remove the fuel cell to access under it w/o spewing fuel or having to drain the aux tank.

I like these: Link1 Link2 Cheap and effective and easy to carry a spare set too. A brass hose barb rounds out the Male fitting. Use fuel rated thread compound or yellow PTFE gas seal tape, not teflon tape, (which will melt in the fuel).