2022 LDX Stats

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Near perfect linear correlation between miles and score.
Not really. Many riders cranked out as many or more miles than the top 5 riders or even more than the winner, but with significantly lower efficiency, (points per mile). For this rally, the most efficient rider did win. That doesn't always happen.

igneouss

Premier Member
Grad level stats: While you are correct that efficiency is a good thing and that it has some explanatory relationship to finisher status, miles ridden is an independent, explanatory variable and has a much higher degree of correlation in this case. The 4 day HoT is an example of a case where efficiency correlated much higher. There is also the problem of defining 'efficiency' as an independent variable but we can treat that as a non issue more or less. In the LDX, generally, the more miles a rider traveled, the higher their score. All this speaks to variations in rally design which is an interesting subject. If you read the history (I am sure you know it well) we have moved from an 'all miles. all the time' mentality toward a more 'strategy' oriented approach. IMO this is a good thing.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@EricV We're polluted here, a bit, by the impact of the Lincoln bonuses stacking a multiplier - it skews the point values (for example, Billy only had one more bonus than James, but 48k (13.5%) more points? :head_scratch:

What interests me the most is looking at a given value as related to the trend line... fore myself, looking purely at mileage, I should've placed ~22nd, but 5th in pts/mile efficiency.. it starts to tell me something about my own weaknesses here, and prompts thoughts on addressing them.

I'm with @igneouss on "strategy over throttle-usage" (but I guess I would be, huh? It's where I'm strongest :D ) I really like Paul's level of puzzling (heavy reliance on sequencing) but would like to see rallies that penalize or somehow flatten the curve depending on mileage (2021 HoT, for example)

...or, I dunno, more categories of award or areas to compete in. I loved the different alternative awards that LDX handed out (furtherst north/south or east/west bonuses claimed)

Be nice, my brain is fuzzy this afternoon.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I don't completely disagree with either of you. :D I'm more old school and prefer less puzzle, more miles. One of the reasons I don't rally any more. I love planning a route and the zen calm of riding the plan, (until the plan goes to heck), but while I can appreciate the efforts by the current group of RMs, I miss the events where it was about the riding. Here is a bonus listing, you figure out what you can bite off and go ride it. Reading comprehension skills to make sure you got the correct thing at the bonus, but no deliberate traps. No "It's the RM against the Riders" attitude. (Not suggesting that is involved in the LDX at all.) I loved seeing new places that I wouldn't have otherwise gone, and didn't really care if someone rode more miles on less sleep to win. We're big boys and girls, we really can be allowed to be accountable for our actions and suffer the consequences when we screw up.

In regards to the LDX, strategy certainly played a big part and managing the multipliers available made a big difference in scores. But isn't that part of efficiency? Riders have a static amount of time and have to decide what's worth more miles to get points, or what penalty is worth accepting to get that last bonus. Current trend is to make rest bonuses effectively mandatory with high enough points that it doesn't make sense not taking them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it penalizes the riders that can operate on less sleep and still be safe and function well. A choice that used to be left up to the individual riders.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yeah, we're all on the same page, I think. I've never liked puzzles in any format where the chief goal is to prove how smart the asker is...

> In regards to the LDX, strategy certainly played a big part and managing the multipliers available made a big difference in scores. But isn't that part of efficiency?

Oh, certainly - I'm just saying that it's trickier to compare numbers, since the scaling is thrown off by them.. one has to be aware of their existence.