48/10 route review

Paul Knight

Premier Member
I live in Fl and have routed out a 48/10 starting in the SE.

I know that there are other places to start from that result in a shorter route but since I only have about 11 days for vacation I need to make the most out of it.

It seems that starting in the Pacific North West and ending in the CA/NV southern corner is shortest but that would require a 2 day ride to the start and a 2+ day ride to the end.

I have copied my route below

I would be willing to share the basecamp route if anyone with some spare time could perform a sanity check to make sure I am hitting all 48 states.

OR if anyone has a suggestion on a similar route that might be better.

Last edited:

Paul Knight

Premier Member
What's the route mileage?
The Route is just over 8084 miles.
350 miles from my home to the start
~500 miles from the finish to my home
Total miles is just under 9000

I have other routes that are 7200 miles but they are thousands of miles to the start / finish

Rollin'

Premier Member
I also did a close to home start. It was less than 10 miles to the start and about 550 miles home.

My 48/10 route was 8200 miles.

Jon Kerr

More lost than found
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
paul,
Where is your home base?
Do you plan on beginning your ride from home or riding to the start, sleeping then starting?

Paul Knight

Premier Member
@Jon Kerr I live in Orlando FL.

I will position myself a day before or maybe a few days depending on work schedule. I work from home and customer sites so I can work anywhere and will try to arrange a business trip to ATL for the Wednesday before I head out so that I can be close to the start and rested...

Here is the revised reverse route

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
I live in Florida as well. I'd be happy to sanity check your route if you would send me the .gpx file.

Thanks, Eric

# 531

@Jon Kerr I live in Orlando FL.

I will position myself a day before or maybe a few days depending on work schedule. I work from home and customer sites so I can work anywhere and will try to arrange a business trip to ATL for the Wednesday before I head out so that I can be close to the start and rested...

Here is the revised reverse route

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Paul,
Have you finalized your route? Looks to me from the map images you've gotten good advice.
What I call the 'shark' routing is the basic route. Where you 'get on' is all that varies.
I have gotten routing recommendations for the 'northeast' coordinator that I highly recommend you follow. See earlier posts to me same subject. Email me offline for my gpx file, then carefully look at the northeast routings. One weird looking routing that I have is avoiding the most direct route through NH & VT based on the locals knowledge of the road and the time I was going to be there ie night!
After you get my route I would be happy to discuss the nuances.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Robert
Thanks for the offer. I am getting packed to head out this morning from Orlando to ride up to Atlanta for a few days of business meetings and am rushing to head our to try and beat the storm today :)

I will try to remember to get back to you when I return and before my trip.

you can always put the file in dropbox, google drive or email me. I will send you a PM with my email address.

Thanks again,

Paul

DrNeo

Premier Member
Not to hijack your thread, but below is what I came up with (With HUGE help from Rollin' - thanks again!). I'm leaving on the 1st of September to ride up to Hudson, WI to begin on the 2nd. I actually overlaid your route over mine. Most of my route is similar to yours, some differences are:
- I'll be heading out West first (my thought is that, even though it will be a holiday weekend, there will be less/more predictable traffic on the East Coast)
- I didn't want to have to deal with Chicago traffic as I was about to end - so South Bend, IN is the finish.
- I didn't go through Salt Lake City as straight down on 93 seems to save mileage and time
- Nebraska on I-80 does have more truck traffic, but I feel that there is of a chance of a cross wind than I-90 across SD (plus I'm not going to ride faster than 80mph anyways)
- I may regret taking HWY 12 (Lolo pass) through Idaho, but it seems to still be faster than going up through Spokane
- I did one gas stop per state (I'm planning on just putting in each waypoint in the GPS, then going from one to the next. As I understand it, if you get off the route, the Garmin isn't that smart to bypass and get back on the route. I'm also sure that the Garmin will need to adjust due to traffic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!)
- Total route distance is 8120 for the 10 days. I will have an additional 70 miles to Hudson, Wi and 450 to get home.

I'll be riding on my '95 K75S (which currently has 93k miles on it)

~Thom

Paul Knight

Premier Member
I just received my Cert for my 48/10 and my 8000 miles in 8 days from the IBA.. Received on my 49th birthday so a great present

The 48/10 went very well.

I will try to compile a ride report soon but in short I had ZERO problems on the ride except traffic going north up I-95 on Saturday July 2nd put me 250 miles behind but I made day 3 a 1350 mile day and caught up on Sunday.

I completed in 7.5 days and did an extra few hundred miles to get the 8000 mile in 8 day certification as well which according to the certification qualifies as an Extreme ride.

Thanks for all those who helped with the routing....

Here is my Spotwalla https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=116aa5775948c5ee15

Last edited:

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Paul,
Great Ride! Two questions; what were your ride dates?, and exactly what location did you use for CA?
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Robert, it is all in the Spotwalla ;)

Just curious why are you asking?

Ride started 2016-07-01 12:37:51 and the 48/10 ended 2016-07-08 22:54:22

CA stop was at 2016-07-06 18:10:52 (EST)
Mobil
1005 E Broadway St
Needles, CA 92363

From google maps

Paul Knight

Premier Member
DrNeo,

Did you watch your distance between gas stops out west and your MC fuel range ?

Since you are using base camp you can see the distance between each stop.

You should plan on stops that maximize your range and also make sure you get a stop in each state or you will be stopping early or missing your planned stops...

My GSA gets over 280+ mile range but I never plan a stop over 280 miles. As such I ended up with about 52 receipts for the trip. I believe you need a receipt for EACH gas stop as well as one for each state, at least this is what I provided.

Your route from Colorado to WA state is ~1000 miles and would mean 4 stops for me and you only have one planned.

Hope this helps.

QUOTE="DrNeo, post: 9102, member: 925"]Not to hijack your thread, but below is what I came up with (With HUGE help from Rollin' - thanks again!). I'm leaving on the 1st of September to ride up to Hudson, WI to begin on the 2nd. I actually overlaid your route over mine. Most of my route is similar to yours, some differences are:
- I'll be heading out West first (my thought is that, even though it will be a holiday weekend, there will be less/more predictable traffic on the East Coast)
- I didn't want to have to deal with Chicago traffic as I was about to end - so South Bend, IN is the finish.
- I didn't go through Salt Lake City as straight down on 93 seems to save mileage and time
- Nebraska on I-80 does have more truck traffic, but I feel that there is of a chance of a cross wind than I-90 across SD (plus I'm not going to ride faster than 80mph anyways)
- I may regret taking HWY 12 (Lolo pass) through Idaho, but it seems to still be faster than going up through Spokane
- I did one gas stop per state (I'm planning on just putting in each waypoint in the GPS, then going from one to the next. As I understand it, if you get off the route, the Garmin isn't that smart to bypass and get back on the route. I'm also sure that the Garmin will need to adjust due to traffic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!)
- Total route distance is 8120 for the 10 days. I will have an additional 70 miles to Hudson, Wi and 450 to get home.

I'll be riding on my '95 K75S (which currently has 93k miles on it)

~Thom[/QUOTE]

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Dates to gauge what weather you ran into. Late May I ran into real bad weather in the Dakota's, WY & MT. I want to avoid the heat, but not too early or may get snow. I did my 4 corners starting in Madawaska on 1JUN and I was fine except for 43 degree cold rain which isn't a show stopper.
CA service station because I had one in mind further north and yours is better. For some reason there are multiple service stations now available that evidently I missed.
Ride Safe,
Robert

Robert, it is all in the Spotwalla ;)

Just curious why are you asking?

Ride started 2016-07-01 12:37:51 and the 48/10 ended 2016-07-08 22:54:22

CA stop was at 2016-07-06 18:10:52 (EST)
Mobil
1005 E Broadway St
Needles, CA 92363

From google maps

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Robert,

It was HOT coming south out of WA state and the remainder of the trip was brutal.

I only hit 10 min of active rain on the whole trip. (I could of used more)

The NE US and across the top of the US I had my jacket liner in during the morning and the evening to stay warm.

Also my rear tire was "killed" by the heat and only lasted 5K miles when I could normally get 10+ had to stop in Albuquerque to get a new rear as the tread was gone..

I think I was fortunate to not hit any bad weather, I can tolerate the heat no problem.

Dates to gauge what weather you ran into. Late May I ran into real bad weather in the Dakota's, WY & MT. I want to avoid the heat, but not too early or may get snow. I did my 4 corners starting in Madawaska on 1JUN and I was fine except for 43 degree cold rain which isn't a show stopper.
CA service station because I had one in mind further north and yours is better. For some reason there are multiple service stations now available that evidently I missed.
Ride Safe,
Robert

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
I have hit too many 'winds' out west and too many 'snow' situations. So, I am trying my best to 'avoid' any repeats! And yes, I know it's a crap shoot regardless of the planning, but one can try!
I have said I'm heading east from now on but the 'rides' keep forcing me west.
Cold isn't an issue, ice and snow are. I'm just getting too old for 105+ heat.
Doing the 50CC west to east at the end of April the weather was perfect, and like you we had only a sprinkle in FL, and could have used more cooling rain.
Think Fast!
Robert

Robert,

It was HOT coming south out of WA state and the remainder of the trip was brutal.

I only hit 10 min of active rain on the whole trip. (I could of used more)

The NE US and across the top of the US I had my jacket liner in during the morning and the evening to stay warm.

Also my rear tire was "killed" by the heat and only lasted 5K miles when I could normally get 10+ had to stop in Albuquerque to get a new rear as the tread was gone..

I think I was fortunate to not hit any bad weather, I can tolerate the heat no problem.