48 States in 8 days at 70.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nearly all certificates have the mileage listed on them, but never the time. The NPT rides are much, much longer and generally don't have mileage listed since it takes months for most people to complete them. It's not A ride, it's many rides. The mileage means nothing to anyone except you, it's just a fun note of how many miles you did for that ride. Anything over the required miles for the cert means you earned that certificate.

As far as the eStore list of your rides, yes, it's a fun thing to see how many miles you covered for all of your combined certs, but you don't get any awards based upon miles covered, per se, just for the qualifying certificate rides you did to earn the various ME awards. All except the Silver are lifetime awards. You can get as many Silver Mile Eaters as you submit for, (and do the rides for in that 12 month period). The other ME awards are about xx number of certificate rides and x(x) number of Gold or Extreme level rides, not the number of actual miles you rode.

EricV, I was not aware that you got credit for the mileage on the 48/10, but looking at the new "Big List", I see mileage is listed. I traveled 25,645.5 miles over 126 days doing the NPTMT and I didn't get any mileage credit. Not complaining as I agree. With a whole year to complete it, the mileage could be insane. Mileage is not the point of that ride. Anyway, that was my thinking when I posted above. I was in the mindset that the point of that ride was to hit all 48 states in less than 10 days.

With that being said, he can still submit as I described above and the mileage will be noted on the certificate. 1225 miles reads better than 1000. In the database the mileage under his name for that ride will be in Italics indicating it being a nested ride. Cool. Any day I can learn something new is a good day.

Kenneth, This will all make sense when you are able to access the database.
Not sure I followed all the last two posts. I actually think I did 1500 miles in the allowed time also because when I got to Wendover UT. I actually rode around for a couple miles before I filled up with fuel because I had calculated the mileage from the day before and knew where the odometer had to be to make the 1500 in the 30 hrs. time

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The short of it is that your odo mileage isn't what the IBA uses. The verification team will use mapping software to calculate your route based upon the receipt locations and times you provide.

There are ride certificates for individual rides, collection certificates that encompass multiple rides, (Eggsanity, Lighthouse, Pressed Penny, NPT, etc), and Mile Eater series which are lifetime awards based on completing certain numbers of basic and extreme or Gold rides.

In the new database accessed through the IBA eStore you can sign in, then click on 'My Rides' and see your approved rides. Needless to say, you must be an IBA member already to gain access to the IBA eStore.

From the Mile Eater page:

Mile Eater
Anyone who completes more than one certified ride but NOT on the same ride, for example, your first ride is a SaddleSore 1000 and at a later date, you complete another certified ride, such as a Bun Burner 1500. However, completing a SaddleSore 1000 AND Bun Burner 1500 on the same continuous ride is not eligible for Mile Eater status.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Something some may not have yet noticed is the recent motorcycle icon color change for National Park tours in the online rides database in relation to the Mile Eater awards. Also, some may not be aware of the note at the bottom of the rides database page about miles for tours (themed collections).

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Something some may not have yet noticed is the recent motorcycle icon color change for National Park tours in the online rides database in relation to the Mile Eater awards. Also, some may not be aware of the note at the bottom of the rides database page about miles for tours (themed collections).
Are you referring to the green icon for "extended rides"? I haven't done a NPT, so don't have that in my ride database. Can you provide a link to the page you're speaking of? Or cut and paste the note you refer to here?

The Mile Eater Program page - LINK states Gold or Insanity rides as part of the requirements, but makes no reference to Extended rides. I would not think themed rides would qualify as extended rides since they are multiple rides, but I can find no specific reference to this. Perhaps you can?

I found and looked at this page today. It's very incomplete and I accessed it from the eStore, so don't know if it's public, though it's called Public Rides List. It doesn't show my Scooter 1000 Gold or some of my In State SS1Ks, among other omissions. Work in progress, I suppose.

Last edited:

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Oh! OH! That means... hang on, let me do some math... plus 3... carry the 4... I'm only 2 rides away from ME Gold!

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Can you provide a link to the page you're speaking of? Or cut and paste the note you refer to here?
Sure, here's the note at the bottom of the "My Rides" page:
Total certified distance of major rides in this database
* Does not include distances recorded for (smaller) nested rides*, distances recorded against awards, or distances for some types of themed collections like National Parks or Lighthouse tours.
Total certified miles: 80,196mi
60 individual (non-nested) rides recorded, of which 18 were Extended, Gold or Insanity level rides.
Doug

Kenneth,
Great ride and ride report. There are clues in it telling me that this may be your very first IBA ride? If so, that makes it even more special.

It looks to me that you nested a SS1000 on your leg between Amarillo and Nevada. Here why. You stated that you never changed the time zone on your watch to stay consistent. I do that too. It's kinda like setting the time on a VCR. I'm going to assume your report reflects the time from your watch. You woke up in Texas at 6:30 AM and arrived in Nevada at 4:00 AM. That is 21-1/2 hours. Nevada is 2 hours behind Texas so even if you used the local times, that would be 23-1/2 hours giving you a 1/2 hour to spare and 1225 miles is 1225 miles.

Might I suggest you revisit your documentation for that leg and match it with the requirements for a SS1000. I'd take the first DBR from the morning you left Amarillo and the last DBR in Nevada and use those times and the mileage between them.

There is only a minimum amount of miles (1000) and a maximum amount of time (Less than 24 hours) spelled out for this ride. The miles actually ridden will be documented and those go towards other awards such as the Mile Eater.

I also suggest waiting until you have received your IBA number before submitting it because how would you answer the question where the application asks "Are you a NEW or EXISTING IBA member:". You don't have an IBA number to enter and would answering "New" get you two different IBA numbers? One from each "New" application. You could let them know about the other application in the "ANYTHING ELSE WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT YOUR RIDE:" spot on the application. The volunteer certifier then has to figure out who has the other application. Where is it in the approval process. Has it been approved already. Has it been delayed. My head hurts. All factors that are sure to gum up the work.

Again, great ride and report. If your on the road and a passing motorcycle waves at you, that might be me.

Yes this was my first IBA ride. I had been to Baniff, Canada, Maine and Kentucky on rides before and knew I could do the 48 State ride so I gave it my all. All my friends have gone to a trike now ,( I call them wheelchair motorcycles,) but I wanted to do this trip before I purchased one. Traded the Ultra off two months ago and my 2022 CVO Harley trike should roll in any day now. Really not set about doing anymore IBA rides, but taking the trike and wife to Maine and Nova Scotia this summer. Also would like to spend more time in Vermont and New Hampshire on the way.

Wow, that was inspirational. Great job conveying your story. Attempting my 48 in 10 in less than two weeks (05/04/22) so excited! A1 Rally shot.JPG