50CC on a <300cc Scooter

Skidoo

Premier Member
Preamble
I was run down, needed a challenge, was inspired by Krystof a local rider who knocking off a few rides on his tiny XMAX scooter.
I purchased a second-hand XMAX 300 boasting 292cc and 21KW of power. Tyre longevity was researched as time would not permit tyre changes during a 50CC even though I have done this previously on larger bikes.
A light bar bracket was fabricated, light bar fitted, aux 12-volt outlets capable of powering phone and GPS unit. Additional fuel and spares were carried.
My first attempt was August 2022 setting off by a few local riders. Looking back, I was complacent, a two-day ride of approximately 4,000 kilometres didn't concern me. What I didn't consider was the huge low-pressure system forming in Eastern Australia faster than I expected creating floods in the area.
Cutting through the chase, it was a dismal failure. By the time I reached Gundagai I had several system failures, I initially ignored them finally pulled the pin approximately 75 kilometres West of Balranald.
It was time to give it another go.

Pre-Ride Prep
LED 65-watt light bar fitted and three independent auxiliary 12 volt power outlets fitted. Each independently capable of powering all electrical requirements but I needed redundancy.
thumbnail_IMG_0835.png
Lightbar – 65 watts output

I hate revving engines excessively and obtained heavier rollers replacing the OEM 17-gram to 22 gram. This effectively decreased revs by 600 at 110 kph GPS speed to a sustainable 6150rpm.
An auxiliary 12 litre fuel tank was sourced overseas and fitted negating the need of carrying a Jerry Can and stopping to add fuel into the main fuel tank.
thumbnail_IMG_0836.png
12 litre auxiliary fuel cell

Saving weight to absolute minimum spares were reduced basically allowing punctures to be repaired, access to fuses and critical components only.
I carried an auxiliary power cell, tyre plugs, gas inflation cylinders, 12-volt pump and a few odd tools. Personal effects were reduced to four litre volume capacity.
1.5 litres of engine oil was carried for the mandatory return trip oil change and lastly wet weather gear.
The weather was regularly monitored, as heavy rain was the only showstopper I considered for this trip.

Transport Leg
I awoke early to a beautiful morning and headed off to the gym for a cardiac session. I try and do an hour of vigorous activity every day for my health, it also clears my mind.
The bike was packed the day before and I departed just after midday and was looking forward to another adventure.
The scooter was running well, clouds were rolling in and it started raining as I pass Wellington NSW but lasted only a few kilometres. As I passed through Molong it stated drizzling again and continued to Orange where the clouds cleared a little.
I was forced to detour just out of Orange due to a smash closing the highway just out of Bathurst. The detour through Blayney added 15 minutes to my trip as I was staying with a mate at Bathurst. Yes, this is only a 200 odd kilometres leg but I wanted the transport leg to be a walk in the park prepping me for the following days pain.
John greeted me at the front door, fellowship, Chinese and an early night set me up for the next morning when I headed off at 0700. The run into Sydney on the Friday was slow due to heavy traffic and I arrived Coogee just after lunch with TJ arriving Coogee midday with TJ arriving shortly later.
It was warm as we walked the kilometre to the main street where it was buzzing with people. I was surprised on the number of scooter and small capacity bikes zooming around the area.
We had dinner, enjoyed the sites, and settled back for an early evening.

Day One – 13/01/2024
I turned the alarm off before it bellowed at 0045. I had been awake in anticipation for a couple of hours as I don't usually sleep well at the best of times.
We showered, tied to have a cup of disgusting Hotel coffee, packed and headed off to Coogee beach.
We were met at Coogee by Ian; a few photos were taken and headed to the Service station for a start receipt.
thumbnail_IMG_5367.jpg
Start point Coogee

Start receipts were obtained, we fiddled around a little fine tuning a few things and obtained a current start receipt before we commenced our ride.
It should be noted for newbies that this is not an issue if something comes up after the initial start receipt is obtained. All the rider must do is obtain a fresh receipt reflecting the revised commencement time of the ride and as was done just re-uploaded onto Spotwalla recording the actual commencement time.
We officially commenced at 0212hrs as we pulled out of the service station. Ian led the way and the run out of Sydney was slow until we reached the freeway where things improved.
The run down the freeway was uneventful as Ian peeled off heading home, we continued towards Yass as the fog began to roll in. The temperature was dropping, I was getting cold. I usually don’t mind riding in snow when appropriately attired, but I was dressed for riding in the heat as real estate was at a premium on the scooter. The temperature kept dropping, I was cold, I needed to refocus on the job at hand. Traffic was getting heavier comprising mainly intercity semi-trailers. Fog was heavy as usual in this area.
As we neared Gundagai the fog was lifting and the temperature warming. We wheeled into Gundagai 30 minutes ahead of schedule and I was feeling great and forgot about being cold.

Gundagai
A loo stop was required, refuelling completed, receipt uploaded, and I was gone within 7 minutes. This was in contrast with my previous run when my electrics were drowned, the scooter was throwing error messages, and I was wet and not enjoying the ride at all.
We peeled out of the service station and continued down the highway passing numerous semis through Wagga Wagga, it seems to take forever getting through there. The 80kph zone goes on and on then the CBD with the traffic lights start, I hate it.

Hay
Fatman and LTP met us on the highway heading into Hay, they guided us into the servo some 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
These guys are pros, don't slow you down, take heaps of photos during stops and support riders and the refuelling process.
I was done and dusted in five minutes; I headed off before the other guys had finished refuelling knowing they would catch up. I needed to go.
Scooter passing truck.jpg
Passing a couple of semies

The heat was building with the temperature hovering around 43C. This was the first sign I knew this will be a hard ride, my butt was going to come out second best.
From experience LD underwear usually does the job, I made a rookie mistake recently by wearing 'jockey's' once completing the top end 50CC progressing onto the West 50CC ride. I paid the price then with open blisters, it wasn’t real comfortable with thousands of kilometres yet to be completed.
The heat persisted and appeared worse due to the continuous relentless headwind.

Renmark
A quick rest, meal and hydration stop at Renmark recharging ourselves and were off within 30 minutes.
The headwind and heat slowed us down arriving at Renmark close to our projected time.

Port Augusta
We headed off to Port August refreshed and arrived almost exactly on our scheduled time taking into account our earlier meal and rest break.
We said our goodbyes and TJ pulled the pin as he had some unfinished sightseeing he wanted to do in the area.
As I approached Kimba the day was coming to an end, I always have time stopping to take photos.
thumbnail_IMG_5398.jpg
Kimba – the halfway point

The section from Kimba to Ceduna I find drags on. I find it boring, windy and usually kangaroo infested. Traffic was heavy with semi-tailors and kangaroos scattered far enough apart keeping me on my toes. The light bar did the job during this boring 313 kilometres stretch.
thumbnail_IMG_5375.jpg
Lightbar at work

I maintained a genuine 100 to 105kph most of the way whilst dodging the two-legged obstacles during this night stretch. I arrived Ceduna, refuelled and booked into the Motel 30 minutes outside my ride log.

Ceduna
The posture on the scooter is different form a 'normal' motorcycle as my legs rest higher not supporting as much weight as they would on a motorcycle. The heat, constantly having most of the weight on my butt whilst riding was paying its price.
The ride had unfolder much as planned and I was on schedule. I added 'fat' during the planning process as I didn’t know how the scooter would perform in extreme distances or heat. I relied on my previous experience having crossed the paddock on large bore bikes.
I made an executive decision to wind the pace back and add an additional hour to my sleep schedule, that’s presuming that I could sleep. My initial plan was to consider a 100CCC if the scooter had the legs and I was able to run the plan. The jury was out at this stage if I was to attempt it but was in good stead if this was to go ahead.

Day 2
I turned the alarm off well before 04:15, I only had a couple of hours sleep but lay in the coolness of the air-conditioned room.
It only took 5 minutes to load the bike and I rode out of the secure compound and was on my way again refreshed.
I approached Penong, dozens of windmills could be seen scattered around the town. Previously wombats have been an issue however on this occasion I didn't see one. As I weaved towards the Nullarbor numerous small kangaroos decided to play leapfrog bouncing in front of me keeping me on my toes. I waited for the next roo strike but was lucky during this leg.
I arrived Border village within 30 minutes of my riding log, planning always pays off. I laughed how well the scooter was running and how efficient it was on fuel even with a head wind.
I refuel and stopped for breakfast that I’d been looking forward to for the last few hour. I washed breakfast down with a coffee and relaxed in the air-conditioned comfort for about half an hour before heading west again.
I progressed through the quarantine inspection station uneventfully and stopped taking a mandatory photo of the WA/SA border sign being in poor physical condition. I passed through several months previously and part of the sign had collapsed onto the ground.

Caiguna
Caiguna is an interesting place to stop and brings back interesting memories. On one occasion I was served by one of the owners and she was obviously not happy, not wanting to be there and was argumentative.
She reminded me what you see when you look at a cat’s butt. On another occasion during one of these rides it had been raining for hours and I was soaked to the bone as I walked in paying for the fuel. The attendant asked as I had water running out of my riding gear on the floor, 'is it raining outside'. I replied, 'I hadn't noticed' as a paddle formed where I was standing.
Previously young backpackers worked in many of these more remote locations due to young adventurers wanting to see the country, they were always friendly and interesting to talk too.
I mounted the scooter and departed planning to stop about half a kilometre away at a sign reflecting Australia's longest straight.

Lessons Learned
The heat was slowly getting to me, my average fluid intake was 800ml per hour to date and I needed a break from the heat when riding in the sun at 40c plus temperatures.
thumbnail_IMG_5481.jpg
Wide loads taking up both lanes

Having crossed the continent numerous times in summer I knew the risks of dehydration firsthand and had implemented strategies not to get caught again.
About a decade ago I completed a 50CC with Wombattle and suffered severe dehydration by the time I completed the ride. This is something that cannot be fixed with a simple energy drink or two because a break was missed. By the time we arrived Port August I attempted to self-medicate increasing electrolytes and fluids but the damage was done and took me days to normalise my condition.
I buy and carry two 600ml bottles of water in my tank-bag and my CamelBak holds 3 litres of water. During higher temperature sections I manually add electrolyte concentrate to the smaller bottles, often double dossing. I often wear a cooling vest that is worn under the jacket and retains water in polymers allowing water to evaporate slowly through the vest cooling the skin and therefore the body. This works effectively for a few hours before losing efficiency.
The main disadvantages of CamelBak's being they are exposed to direct sunlight and can be heavy sitting on your back for hours.
In 40c temperatures the fluid only stay cool for a couple of hours. Often the last litre heats it is similar to the ambient temperature and not appealing. I've learned drinking ‘hot’ water doesn’t taste great but assists in keeping you hydrated until the next stop.
thumbnail_IMG_5520.jpg
Majestic sights

Baladonia
I wheeled into Baladonia for a quick break, rested my butt, enjoyed a veggie burger and took on cold water.
If time is critical, an easy way of saving approximately 5 minutes if fuel is required is to park the bike at the bowser. Order and pay for food then return and re-fuel the bike.
This way food is being cooked as you refuel, and the time saving is obvious when reviewing the receipts.

Noresman
The short 218 kilometre run into Norseman was uneventful and the temperature was hovering around 35c. I refuelled and was on my way again within 5 minutes.
Efficient fuel stops are critical ensuring efficient overall averages are maintained. This mitigates the need to speed.
My system is to park as close as possible to the office ensuring the side stand is towards the cashier. As I dismounted the scooter I'd dislodge the tank bag allowing it to dangle whilst popping the fuel cap lid and seat. I top up the main tank locking it closed whilst lifting the seat and filling the auxiliary fuel tank.
I enter the service station obtaining refreshments pay my bill electronically with the cashier. I return to the scooter turning the ignition on placing the receipt and phone on the dash whilst filling my CamelBak and placing the 600ml water in the tank-bag. I fit my skull cap, helmet and glasses. I align the receipt, take a photo and upload directly onto Spotwalla. The phone is locked into the Quadlock, gloves fitted and I'm off on the next leg. If it goes well, I’m gone in 5 minutes.
About half an hour west of Norseman the clouds started rolling in as it started to rain. The scooter offers reasonable protection from the elements with only my gloves and forearms getting wet.

Southern Cross
The temperature cooled to 25c as I refuelled, texting wombat an ETA of 2155hrs at Scarborough Beach. I headed out of Southern Cross as police swooped on two quad bikes riding down the side of the highway.
The weather was still overcast with occasional light rain when a black bike and rider approached, he seemed hesitant and as I waved, he waved back doing a 'U' turn pacing me until a small settlement where I pulled over.
Chris riding a familiar GTR1400 had left Perth to pace me to Mundaring where Wombat and Bill would chaperone be to Scarborough Beach. We chatted for a few minutes and Chris just wanted to confirm my comfortable travelling speed.
I headed off and after a few minutes he took the lead making things easier as the scooter does not have cruise control. The throttle has to be continually massaged maintaining a consistent moving average.
As we worked our way west the sun was setting and more roadworks presented slowing our pace again.
Chris on his run-in GTR with over 250,000Km
About 20 kilometres of 80kph with occasional 40kph thrown into the mix annoyed me to say the least.
The setting sun was spectacular, I usually observe it setting a further east from a different perspective.
thumbnail_IMG_5455.jpg
Majestic sunsets in the west

This time I set my start time an hour earlier commencing giving me more wiggle room. This gave me opportunities of adjusting times if I had trouble maintaining arrival projections. I didn't want the guys from Perth to be up too late either.
I helps when another rider sets a pace that is compatible with your riding style. If it’s not, this dramatically interrupts your rhythm increasing fatigue and adding risk to the mix.
We continued making good headway and traffic started increasing through the mountains. I needed to empty my bladder but we were making great time so I just put my bladder on hold for an hour.
We finally arrived Mundaring just outside Hungry Jacks. I was welcomed by Southern Cross riders Wombat and Bill. I finally emptied my bladder, Chris had to leave, I thanked him and was guided to Scarbourch Beach BP when Lindsay was waiting for the three of us.
scooter filling at scarborough.jpg
The BP brought back many memories of many crossings.

I had booked into a motel and decided I had a great ride and not wanting to push it decided I’d pull the pin here. I enjoyed an easy few day’s ride home through SA and Victoria.

I would just like to thank everyone for their support especially the guys and gals that came out saying hi and sharing the experience with me.

Sorry this forum is limited to ten (10) images.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/c51d-340433c-22dc/view

cjmckay

Premier Member
Congratulations and well done. I know you have inspired someone else to give it (50CC on a scooter) a shot in the future (hint: It sure as hell isn't me! - but that isn't to say I won't be along for the ride...).

Skidoo

Premier Member
Congratulations and well done. I know you have inspired someone else to give it (50CC on a scooter) a shot in the future (hint: It sure as hell isn't me! - but that isn't to say I won't be along for the ride...).
Your know you want to give it a go lol - it’s a hoot and I’d do it again :p

Skidoo

Premier Member
Congratulations on your ride. I'm starting to realise not to be surprised with what you do :eek:
What can I say, we are always happy to meet n Greet, people if we can. It's not very often you get pics of yourself on a ride ;)
Great read thanks for sharing another one of your crazy adventures :)
I’ve been trying to surprise you guys for a while, your difficult to surprise :p maybe I need a different strategy o_O

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well done and a nice write up too. Thanks for sharing your ride with us. Scooters bring different challenges to riding, but I've still managed to find ways to install hydration jugs for the long rides. Keeps the weight off my back and the water cool the full run between refills.

Skidoo

Premier Member
Well done and a nice write up too. Thanks for sharing your ride with us. Scooters bring different challenges to riding, but I've still managed to find ways to install hydration jugs for the long rides. Keeps the weight off my back and the water cool the full run between refills.
Thanks, cool water is always more palatable except if it‘s coffee lol. Curious on how you manage you cool refreshments on your scooter In 40c? It may help with an upcoming ride on the scooter.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For the scooters I've used a 1/2 gal, (1.9L), insulated jug. These are Igloo brand, about $5 usd at the local Walmart when I got them. The mount is a Blackburn Outpost Cargo Water Bottle Cage Commonly used on pedal bikes. First pic is mounted on my wife's scooter to a piece of aluminum angle that is bolted to the pannier rack. Second pic is my scooter with an aluminum plate mounted to the pannier rack in lieu of a pannier and it carries the jug mount and one or two RotoPax 1 gal fuel jugs as well. These scooters did a 10 day coast to coast ride in '21 and I've done a SS1K on mine as well. Not the pace for your ride, but proven methods. The Blackburn cage works well with a 1 gal size jug too.

I have used a variety of insulated jugs over the years. 1 gal usually, but the scooter's range is only ~110 miles, so the 0.5 gal works fine. Fill the jug with ice, top off with water. Stays cold in 40C while drinking until near the end, but never gets hot. Sometimes I out drank the 1 gal jug on motos in LD conditions and high heat, but most of the time, even with 11+ gallons of fuel and 450 mile range, if I filled/topped off the jug at fuel stops, no problem.

The tubing is a combo of rigid freezer tubing for the end in the jug, and flexible tubing similar to your Camelbak hose that is just food grade generic hose from the hardware store that comes in 10' lengths for low cost. A card or key retractor affixed at the bars and a bite valve and Bob's your uncle.

E3F9D725-E3E8-43FB-8F86-252F0A3CC425_1_105_c.jpeg 70941033-3E6F-4398-8FF3-45104EA3EF73_1_105_c.jpeg E62D34FA-328B-4FCE-A291-E193918339FE_1_105_c.jpeg A1758AEC-FB10-4A08-92EC-5AB7C1007B79_1_105_c.jpeg

Skidoo

Premier Member
For the scooters I've used a 1/2 gal, (1.9L), insulated jug. These are Igloo brand, about $5 usd at the local Walmart when I got them. The mount is a Blackburn Outpost Cargo Water Bottle Cage Commonly used on pedal bikes. First pic is mounted on my wife's scooter to a piece of aluminum angle that is bolted to the pannier rack. Second pic is my scooter with an aluminum plate mounted to the pannier rack in lieu of a pannier and it carries the jug mount and one or two RotoPax 1 gal fuel jugs as well. These scooters did a 10 day coast to coast ride in '21 and I've done a SS1K on mine as well. Not the pace for your ride, but proven methods. The Blackburn cage works well with a 1 gal size jug too.

I have used a variety of insulated jugs over the years. 1 gal usually, but the scooter's range is only ~110 miles, so the 0.5 gal works fine. Fill the jug with ice, top off with water. Stays cold in 40C while drinking until near the end, but never gets hot. Sometimes I out drank the 1 gal jug on motos in LD conditions and high heat, but most of the time, even with 11+ gallons of fuel and 450 mile range, if I filled/topped off the jug at fuel stops, no problem.

The tubing is a combo of rigid freezer tubing for the end in the jug, and flexible tubing similar to your Camelbak hose that is just food grade generic hose from the hardware store that comes in 10' lengths for low cost. A card or key retractor affixed at the bars and a bite valve and Bob's your uncle.

View attachment 11591 View attachment 11592 View attachment 11593 View attachment 11594
Great info, thanks for sharing!

Tele

Premier Member
Just "WOW" from me. I have never even bothered to try riding a scooter, let alone leave the confines of a metropolitan area on one :D
My brother-in-law has a Postie bike (110cc) and whilst a few minutes on that was fun, the distance between his place and the suburban bakery was enough. Great report with fantastic insights Skidoo. One of the great ways of developing a genuine "iron-butt". :rolleyes: