<800cc IBA Members

Morrissey

So I dropped my 2001 Bandit 600 off at the shop today for some needed maintenance. When I pick her up next week I will be purchasing some stronger headlight bulbs as the low beam on the stock bulbs is not much better than candles! I am also having some buffeting and wind noise issues. North of 100km/h the noise and buffeting become very annoying and tiring. The first thing I'm going to try is to remove my bar risers and see if this helps the problem. If that doesn't work I will be ordering a Givi universal windshield deflector https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-universal-windshield-deflector

As I was doing all this to get ready for the season (which has only had a couple of descent days here) and my first SS1000 attempt, it got me wondering. How many IBA members have done/are doing IBA certified rides on bikes 800cc and under? I'd love to get an FJR, but right now money is tight and a new bike just isn't in the cards. It's looking like 2-3 years before I will be able to buy a new or nearly new bike. I'm plenty happy with the comfort and convenience of my Bandit and once I get this noise and buffeting issue sorted I'll be very happy!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
As I was doing all this to get ready for the season (which has only had a couple of descent days here) and my first SS1000 attempt, it got me wondering. How many IBA members have done/are doing IBA certified rides on bikes 800cc and under? I'd love to get an FJR, but right now money is tight and a new bike just isn't in the cards. It's looking like 2-3 years before I will be able to buy a new or nearly new bike. I'm plenty happy with the comfort and convenience of my Bandit and once I get this noise and buffeting issue sorted I'll be very happy!
Lots have completed IBA rides on something less (in some cases, a lot less) than a liter bike.

Right now, a hotbed of IBA activity is in India, where most are doing Saddlesore 1600k's on 250cc bikes or smaller. Lots of folks have completed rides on 500-600cc bikes. So comparatively speaking, an 800cc bike is huge.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Morrissey you can ride big rides on little bikes - no problem.

Here's a few <800cc bikes I've ridden >SS 1000 distance:

Kawasaki ZZR-250

Kawasaki Versys 650 SS1600K

Honda SH300i scooter SS1600K

Suzuki V-Strom 650 SS1600K in New Zealand

Yamaha YZF-R15 SS2000K

Honda CT-110 SS1600K

Piaggio Xevo 250cc scooter SS2000K

Honda CBR-125R SS1600K

Kawasaki Ninja 300 BunBurner GOLD 1500M

Yamaha TMax 530 scooter SS1600K - completely stock

Versys 650 SS1600K two-up and SS2000K

And a 'big' BMW F800GT - 100CCC

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Don't feel too bad BMWguy, sometimes I ride big ones:

BMW K1200R - SS1600K

BMW R1200RT - USA 100CCC

BMW R1200GS A - SS1000M USA

Yamaha Super Tenere - 100CCC

Yamaha FJR1300 - IBR in USA

Another FJR - 100CCC

Honda Blackbird - 100CCCs

Just about any bike can run a SS1000M. Ride whatever you have Morrissey and have fun.

I am also having some buffeting and wind noise issues. North of 100km/h the noise and buffeting become very annoying and tiring. The first thing I'm going to try is to remove my bar risers and see if this helps the problem. If that doesn't work I will be ordering a Givi universal windshield deflector https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-universal-windshield-deflector
I also had a severe buffeting issue with my stock wind shield - to the extent that I put it in the attic for a couple of years - until I came across THIS. worked great for me.
Good luck!

Morrissey

I was expecting to hear lots of Vstrom 650's and Versys 650's. I wasn't surprised by the maxi-scooters either. But the CT110?! Wow! That dude is hardcore! The rider on the CBR125 is pretty wild too.

Thanks for the pics. Keep 'em coming! I love seeing what folks are riding.

Skidoo

Premier Member
When I need time to process things, I take a slightly smaller bike for a ride, I don't want to rush the thinking.
The little Yammie 149cc has knocked out 4 x 50CC's in three years. I think I'm done with the thinking for a while :D

ts1

How many IBA members have done/are doing IBA certified rides on bikes 800cc and under?
I bet you are US-American! ;) Most people on earth do never see such a huge bike.
For me, 125cc is enough. Does not need to be an expensive brand either.
And if 50cc bikes wouldn't have been restricted to 45kph/30mph (EU), that would be enough for an IBA ride too.
Of course it takes >=20 hours, but that means to have challenge and fun for a longer time.
At +200mph it's (imho) only a waste of ressources.
Regarding the question: I did it on Chinese and Korean sub 125cc bikes.

Ed.

Premier Member
When I need time to process things, I take a slightly smaller bike for a ride, I don't want to rush the thinking.
The little Yammie 149cc has knocked out 4 x 50CC's in three years. I think I'm done with the thinking for a while :D

It is the funniest thing in the world, rolling out of an IBH at 0darkhundred and watching/hearing this wee jigger slowly making its way towards you on the side of the road: "Sounds like a dirt bike, what the hell is a dirt bike doing on this road at this time of the morning?....jeez it's throwing a good bit of light...what ever it is it's not going real quick... ....Ahhhh it is Karl!"

Skidoo

Premier Member
It is the funniest thing in the world, rolling out of an IBH at 0darkhundred and watching/hearing this wee jigger slowly making its way towards you on the side of the road: "Sounds like a dirt bike, what the hell is a dirt bike doing on this road at this time of the morning?....jeez it's throwing a good bit of light...what ever it is it's not going real quick... ....Ahhhh it is Karl!"
Don't have a night shot . . . But thanks to Wombattle this is worth a laugh

http://vid1148.photobucket.com/albums/o578/skidoooo/aa.mp4

Last edited:
Well, after reading this thread, I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've done several cert rides on my Honda NT700V (the Deauville in Europe). On April 30/May 1, 2010, I did the first-ever IBA SS1K ever done in the western hemisphere on an NT700V. Since then I've done another SS1K and a BBG, plus several undocumented 1000+ mile days.

The attached picture is at the finish of the Four Corners Tour in Madawaska, ME, in 2013, when I was on my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, The Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador." I kind of loafed along on that trip, taking 84 days to do the 21,000 miles.

Attachments

Skidoo

Premier Member
Nothing wrong with that, what a great adventure and at least you had time to enjoy the scenery and smell the flowers!

Last edited:
Well, after reading this thread, I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've done several cert rides on my Honda NT700V (the Deauville in Europe). On April 30/May 1, 2010, I did the first-ever IBA SS1K ever done in the western hemisphere on an NT700V. Since then I've done another SS1K and a BBG, plus several undocumented 1000+ mile days.

The attached picture is at the finish of the Four Corners Tour in Madawaska, ME, in 2013, when I was on my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, The Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador." I kind of loafed along on that trip, taking 84 days to do the 21,000 miles.
Don't get me wrong - I love the challenge of LD riding and accomplishing that in a specific time frame. That's what makes the challenge.
However, riding a motorcycle is also about "loafing along" and taking in all the scenery - just enjoying the trip.
Kinda hard to make good lasting memories while blasting along the road, keeping an eye on traffic and "hope I don't miss my next turn"...