Android Auto or Apple CarPlay

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Recently in one of the email newsletter I get there was this review (link below) of an Android Auto/Apple CarPlay display for motorcycles first time I've seen one. I am toying with adding a Tablet and use Google Maps on it instead of running it on the phone. This seems like it may accomplish what I want. ;

Anybody have any experience using one or something like it?

https://www.advrider.com/long-term-...dium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-01-31-2023

I use Android Auto. I like using it. I like the big google maps on my screen. I have a Road Glide, so I guess it depends on the bike you have. With Harley you have to have the WHIM installed to be able to interact with Android Auto. Also you have to have a good USB cable. The cheaper ones kept cutting out on me. Other down side is if you want to look at something else on google maps on your phone it will not let you while running Android auto. I typically just unplug it, do what I need to do on my phone and then plug it back in. Which also brings up (at least on my bike) the phone has to be plugged in to run Android Auto.

I use Android Auto. I like using it. I like the big google maps on my screen.... the phone has to be plugged in to run Android Auto.
This is a good piece of info. On the ADV threads it was lightly touched on that the units do not have internal battery and so an external connection is required. If the phone is also required to be connected that is possibly an issue for sme people.

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
I use Android Auto. I like using it. I like the big google maps on my screen. I have a Road Glide, so I guess it depends on the bike you have. With Harley you have to have the WHIM installed to be able to interact with Android Auto. Also you have to have a good USB cable. The cheaper ones kept cutting out on me. Other down side is if you want to look at something else on google maps on your phone it will not let you while running Android auto. I typically just unplug it, do what I need to do on my phone and then plug it back in. Which also brings up (at least on my bike) the phone has to be plugged in to run Android Auto.
If you switch to another map on you headunit, ie. Waze, you can open Google maps on your phone while connected to AA.

BtW google just pushed an update to be able to run Google Maps on AA and a phone at the same time!

Android Auto update

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
Recently in one of the email newsletter I get there was this review (link below) of an Android Auto/Apple CarPlay display for motorcycles first time I've seen one. I am toying with adding a Tablet and use Google Maps on it instead of running it on the phone. This seems like it may accomplish what I want. ;

Anybody have any experience using one or something like it?

https://www.advrider.com/long-term-...dium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-01-31-2023
There are a couple of riders on the K1600 forum that have been using this or something similar.

Thread 1
Thread 2

Firstpeke

I have a new NT1100D which has the TFT offering Apple or Android connectivity... however, my initial experience having paired it all up for an IBA ride was that my Schuberth/Sena SC10U battery expired after just a few hours instead of the usual 18-20 hours...

Nice option for casual riders, but not practical for using with my Satnav and phone on IBA rides as I lose audio....

My phone and satnav work fine with the SC10U as long as I don't allow connection to the bike.

This means using the 12vdc socket with an adapter to charge the phone, rather than the USB connector, otherwise the bike will try and connect to the headset, I still have to turn my headset off and on again to disconnect it from the bike.