Another, "Not IBA-related" Post...

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Soooo...

I use the Amazon Music app to listen to tunes whilst riding. In order to prevent interruptions due to poor or lost signals, I download all of the music and listen to it in "offline mode".

Today I changed my Amazon account password. I now wished I hadn't, because when I did...

...every song, over 1,700 of them, organized into multiple playlists, was wiped-out. Gone. Vanished.

Well, everything that was downloaded. Now I have to download them all over again. What's worse is that a quick perusing of the list shows many are now unavailable. This means I won't be able to download by artist (fastest way) because I now have to check to see whether each song is available. The funny thing is that songs that become "unavailable" are usually "available" on another album!

I called Amazon about this and the woman forwarded this to the tech team, but she also mentioned that it might have happened because I was "signed-out". Yes, I replied, I "signed-out" because I changed my password. I didn't switch accounts. This shouldn't have happened at all. I am sure I am not the only person who has changed their password.

This is actually the second time Amazon Music has screwed me over- the first came when I switched phones and absolutely nothing from AM came from the old phone to the new one. This happened less than 12 hours before a ride and it sucked having to redo everything in such a short period.

I also discovered that an "online" playlist is downloadable, but an "offline" playlist isn't "uploadable". (facepalm)

So to avoid being bent-over and penetrated by the poor-coding of the AM team, I'm going to have to create everything "online" and then download them on the phone.

The funny thing is that not a single other version of AM I use (laptop, desktop), needed me to sign-in again with the new password. Only the phone.

And I was having such a good day...

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It continues to amaze me just how little real world testing is done when technology solutions are developed.

The most common and obvious use cases seem to break software and systems all the time.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
I want to update this here post:

1. There were several albums in my collection that were no longer "available" and were greyed-out. I've seen this a lot and usually I can find the songs I want on other albums, but it's a shit thing to have to do. Well in this case, all of my Billy Joel and Iron Maiden albums, amongst others, were gone, but when I looked at the catalog that was available, those albums were listed as being available. I mean, W. T. F?

2. After I looked through my collection to make sure no songs were "unavailable", I proceeded to download everything on phone so that I could listen offline. Sometime the next day, all of my playlists were back and populated without my intervention. Again, W. T. F? Remember, everything was downloaded on my phone in the first place, before the password change, so technically, nothing was "lost" or needing to be downloaded again.

If I had turned in some crap like this in school, I would've gotten a D at best.

This kind of thing is why I still do the old world thing of downloading MP3s that I buy, then playing them in an MP3 player app (as opposed to using the agent style apps like AM, Google Music, etc.