Beware Road closures

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For those going north. We had a report that there were closures on the A9 at the weekend.
So before the RBLR1000 check https://www.traffic.gov.scot/traffic-information/incidents so you get no surprises and can plan it into your ride.

For all the riders it's worth checking Highway England for the day of your ride as roads in the south are frequently closed at night for road repairs
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/travel-updates/road-closure-report/
Again plan it into your timings. On a bike we don't loose much time at closures but Scotland diversions can be longer.

Make sure you look for the days of your ride.

Firstpeke

Phil said...."Again plan it into your timings. On a bike we don't loose much time at closures but Scotland diversions can be longer."

Oh yes..... on the occasion of returning home with my new bike last year, the signs reporting a road closure were 19.2 miles before the closure, with no clue as to which "Road Ahead" was closed...... the diversion for me was 76 miles...... the road closure was around 15 miles from home....... and there was no alternative, except a longer diversion!

Firstpeke

Google is your friend.....

Just finished a SS1000 in England this morning after staying in the Holiday Inn Express at the showground on Sunday night.

Every motorway I went on apart from the M25 had roadworks reducing capacity to a single lane overnight on Monday.... a literal night-mare.....

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
...and those single lanes come with reduced speed limits and safety cameras. Reminds me of the finish to my first RBLR in 2013, having dilly dallied for the best part of the day and night I arrived at Birch Services to find 6 RBLR entrants queuing to pay at the night window, no problem with an hour n half to finish inside 24 hours there was time to queue and time to empty the bladder, plenty of time. That was until we re-joined the M62 and ran into the 50 miles of roadworks with a 50 mph reduced speed limit and Police patrols. Mission accomplished with 22 minutes to spare.

Happy days

Ian M

on the 6th May the a82 from ballachulish bridge to loch tulla view point had a number surface repairs, the type where they strip off the top course leaving ridges that the bike follows and a sharp ridge at either end - hopefully they'll all be complete -

road works at perth north of inveralmond r'about where a PIA - its 40

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Lane closures on motorways are not much of an issue. Motorway closures between 10pm and 6am are not too bad as they are always published in advance.
Accidents shutting motorways will probably loose you an hour max.

I did a Saddlesore 1000 Inc night ride last week. The A9 was closed by an overturned van near Perth.The A1m was closed going south. The M25 was closed south of Queen Elizabeth bridge J1 to J1and the M2 was closed. The M4 was closed Hungerford to Swindon. I had planned for more but still completed a Saddlesore 1000 in 24 hrs