Building an AUX tank for a Concours 14 (2Up)

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
https://www.wiltshire.net/2024/04/06/building-an-aux-tank-for-a-concours-14/

Significant progress has been made with my Aux Tank build - this is gearing up for use in the USA for my trip planned for July/August this year, and will hopefully be usable within the IBR 2025 (hoping that we'll get an entry)... - It's been developed over here and will be tested over the next few months before I take it over with me. It's needed for the Trans Canada ride we have planned, as some of those fuel legs are potentially longer / problematic through the times of day which we'll be riding them.

A massive shout out to Lincoln Seals for his input and advice and to Steve Tunnard for his help and enthusiasm in helping to get this constructed!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some comments/observations/questions from another custom aux tank user and retired machinist, (who is a fan of overkill too):

Why are you setting this up as a vacuum feed instead of a gravity feed system? Your Aux tank is clearly above the level of the main tank. Gravity is a Law, Vacuum is happenstance, (except in outer space).

Is the only venting of the aux tank through the top of the filler neck?

Is the line from the overflow catch can on the rear of the aux tank plumbed to the vent line from the filler neck?

Can you access the valve with the seats in place? If not, consider changing that. (and carry 2 extra fuel filters so you can do field swaps if you get poor fuel)

Can you isolate the aux tank and still use the main tank w/o making a mess and leaking fuel? (because the main won't work well w/o venting and on a vacuum system, your only main tank vent must be via the aux tank for that to function. This is not true of a gravity feed system.)

Can you remove the aux tank from the bike w/o leaking fuel? If not, you should consider dry break fittings to allow this. (Not plastic) Possibly kill two birds with one fix and put two dry break fittings, one on either side of the filter, then make up a spare line with dry break fittings in place and a fresh filter in the line. This also potentially gives you an easy way to drain the aux tank if need be, or to share some fuel with a stranded rider.

Connections that do not need to be field serviceable can benefit from crimp style hose clamps. They don't come loose or require wrapping. One time use, removable and installed with side snips if need be.

Secondary note - Aux tank to valve to filter, not Aux tank to filter to valve. This allows easier swapping of the filter with fuel still in the aux tank.

Is your aux tank fuel cap tethered? If not, correct that because finding a replacement in the middle of a rally is a big time killer.

You have certainly built a stout aux tank. 3mm for the sides and top, 2mm for the baffles with a 4mm bottom would be more than strong enough. The box shape is very strong. Not a negative of your design, just an observation that weight could have been saved there.

The water jug is still just cantilevered at the bottom. Perhaps a connecting brace from the top of the license plate area to the forward frame. Aluminum tends to crack when it bends and vibration causes stress cracking at the heat affected areas on the edge of welds.

The tube bracing from the rear of the aux tank appears to be conduit flattened at the ends. Not sure how I feel about that in terms of corrosion and strength.

Regardless of the above, the 'ears' at the rear of the aux tank where the braces bolt up need to be gusseted to avoid cracking and failure. They will crack and break off from vibration over time.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
For those following along, today I re-pressure-tested the tank after using JB-Weld Silicon Gasket maker (the petroleum resistant type), along the top of the fuel-sender, and its screws, I gave it close to 36 hours to cure, it said it needed an hour. I didn't want to rush it so was happy to leave it a full day + some before I re-tested, all of the previous pinhole leaks were addressed once identified (re-welded, not using JB-Weld!) and the JB weld worked perfectly around the fuel sender. So, with that, I was good to head down to the fuel station and to fill it up for the first time and to use this as a base volumetric measurement.

That's video documented above, it's 17.40 litres, 4.6 US gal. :)

Specs on the C14: Fuel capacity 22 L (4.8 imp gal; 5.8 US gal)

So that'll bring us nicely to a total of 10.4 US gal.

I routinely get 6.1L/100km from my bike, so that works out to be 645km from full to absolutely empty, so pretty much bang on 400miles. I was running a 5 US Gal tail dragger tank in the 2022 SBR, and was getting more than 400 miles per fill then. The C14's range without an Aux Tank is fairly woeful really, so we'll be glad for this for our riding in the USA.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Eric...

Thanks for the tips and pointers, I really appreciate the time you've taken to put your thoughts down for me!

This has been quite a journey for us already, for some further background on previous work, including discovery work on how the C14's tank cap, and breather work, check out my SBR prep youtube videos. :)

https://tinyurl.com/z2ds289r

Why are you setting this up as a vacuum feed instead of a gravity feed system? Your Aux tank is clearly above the level of the main tank. Gravity is a Law, Vacuum is happenstance, (except in outer space).
I do not want to drill my tank.

This is prep / testing for a suitable tank and fit-out to take over to my USA bike, so it's only temporary on this blue bike here in New Zealand.

I have no need for an Aux Tank here, I rarely manage to get to do my LD rides solo here, there are too many of my friends who want to ride together whenever an outing is talked about, and none of them have extended range bikes, so it's pointless me working this into my normal ride here unless I want to ditch my mates...

All of this is to say, that there's a simple way of plumbing into the C14 tank, and it's to use the breather in the tank, the breather is provided into the tank via a maze of chambers in the cap itself, via a rubber female receptacle in the tank's cap area (in the fixed lower surface of the tank filler), which mates with a small male tube in the hinged cap itself. the male portion then goes through a series of maze chambers and valves in the cap beneath the key, and then pass out through the lock mechanism itself into the top, centre of the tank. These valves normally manage controlled positive pressure release and potential overflow if the fuel were able to expand that much, as well as relief of negative pressure build up, using the breather tube feed to draw air into the tank when the head drops.

https://www.wiltshire.net/2022/05/17/concours-1400-fuel-cap-innards-disassembly/

I was able to open this cap up and largely remove all of the valve elements and essentially allow my main tank to breath through the main part of the Aux tank, through the expansion chamber, and then finally through that chamber's overflow. To keep that overflow tube clear, I have added in a secondary fuel filter on the final exit of that breather.

The Aux Tank is higher than the inflow around the cap, and so it is gravity fed, but, it'll also be helped along with the negative pressure created as the fuel head drops, so the short answer is, it's both.

Is the only venting of the aux tank through the top of the filler neck?
Yes, through the vent at the top of the filler neck which then goes to the bottom of the evaporative chamber, which then feeds off the top of that chamber, back down to behind my rear wheel, through a final fuel filter.

Is the line from the overflow catch can on the rear of the aux tank plumbed to the vent line from the filler neck?
Yes, but I'd view it the other way round, the vent at the top of the filler neck being plumbed through the evaporative chamber.

Can you access the valve with the seats in place? If not, consider changing that. (and carry 2 extra fuel filters so you can do field swaps if you get poor fuel)
Yes, I can easily enough either solo, or I could get my pillion to play with it when she's sitting there. It's easy enough to find and use by touch.

Can you isolate the aux tank and still use the main tank w/o making a mess and leaking fuel? (because the main won't work well w/o venting and on a vacuum system, your only main tank vent must be via the aux tank for that to function. This is not true of a gravity feed system.)
Yes, I can either simply shut the valve, and allow a vacuum to build up in the main tank, or I could not fill the Aux tank, and leave the valve open and it'll just have a big, expansive breather system attached. I have run this bike for many many miles when the valves in the cap area were not functioning well and a strong negative pressure built up in the tank, so much so that it was hard to open the filler cap, despite this, the EFI fuel pump was able to pump fuel well enough out of the main tank for the bike to run without me noticing any fuelling issues, because of this experience, I wouldn't be concerned about the notion of running it with no relief for that negative pressure - if I had to shut the valve.

Can you remove the aux tank from the bike w/o leaking fuel? If not, you should consider dry break fittings to allow this. (Not plastic) Possibly kill two birds with one fix and put two dry break fittings, one on either side of the filter, then make up a spare line with dry break fittings in place and a fresh filter in the line. This also potentially gives you an easy way to drain the aux tank if need be, or to share some fuel with a stranded rider.
Sure, we're at very early days of refining this solution. It's not going to get that much use, it's being done for 2 USA trips at this point, a total of ~4 weeks of riding, so I'm keen to keep this as simple as possible, and to keep costs down too... Can I remove the Aux Tank without fuel leaking? A max of the length of fuel in the fuel line between the rear tank, and the breather on the front might dribble out. I thought about T'ing off the main feed with a secondary tap to provide fuel for others, but hey... We could do that with the existing tap, and a spare 12 inches of fuel host if needed...

Connections that do not need to be field serviceable can benefit from crimp style hose clamps. They don't come loose or require wrapping. One time use, removable and installed with side snips if need be.
I just spent NZ$5 (US$3) per host clamp here for high quality stainless screw based hose clamps, they'll do the job nicely.

Secondary note - Aux tank to valve to filter, not Aux tank to filter to valve. This allows easier swapping of the filter with fuel still in the aux tank.
Depends on what the purpose of the fuel filter is, in my case, it was purely to see if fuel was flowing / see bubbles on expansion return and know if the fuel had drained fully out of the Aux tank into the main one. I wasn't going to put a filter there as the tank is filtered anyway and it's all the same fuel anyway... so... I'm happy with how it's laid out.

Is your aux tank fuel cap tethered? If not, correct that because finding a replacement in the middle of a rally is a big time killer.
Yes, you'll see that on today's video. It's tethered with a chain so that the cap is properly earthed too... I'll also be taking a spare cap along with me too, it'll live in my tank bag or tool kit. :) In the SBR I twice forgot to fit the cap when our routine was interrupted, and I could easily have lost that cap during the rally!... (I didn't, it actually never bounced off the Aux Tank, but...)

You have certainly built a stout aux tank. 3mm for the sides and top, 2mm for the baffles with a 4mm bottom would be more than strong enough. The box shape is very strong. Not a negative of your design, just an observation that weight could have been saved there.
Yup, I took advice from Lincoln Seals on the material, so 4mm thick throughout is what we did. :)

The water jug is still just cantilevered at the bottom. Perhaps a connecting brace from the top of the license plate area to the forward frame. Aluminum tends to crack when it bends and vibration causes stress cracking at the heat affected areas on the edge of welds.
The weight of the jug unsupported by the main frame - it's all supported at the heal of the assembly, assuming the toe is outwards to the back, it's then tied back firmly into that frame with 2mm thick aluminium strap, then further fixed with a material strap too. The rest of that frame, towards the back is purely to hold the number plate and the light which is required here for that to be considered legal. :) I'm not worried about this. PS, it's all riveted, and I do check it regularly when I fill the bottle...

The tube bracing from the rear of the aux tank appears to be conduit flattened at the ends. Not sure how I feel about that in terms of corrosion and strength.
It's not conduit, but arial mast supports / stays - they have fairly thick walls and took a fair amount of squishing in the vice to flatten them before I could drill and fit them. These stays are commercially created with that same type of approach, flattening them to then make a mounting point. I've discovered that by angling the vice so that you're not just squeezing directly across the face of the tube, you can create an increasingly sharp edge, without cracking it, so there's still a fair amount of strength left in the zone where it goes from being a tube to being flattened... It's incredibly firm on the bike... It's aluminium, so it's not as susceptible to corrosion as it would be if it were steel, but again, it's one of those things which I keep an eye on.

Regardless of the above, the 'ears' at the rear of the aux tank where the braces bolt up need to be gusseted to avoid cracking and failure. They will crack and break off from vibration over time.
It's going to get three weeks worth of use in the next two years. :) This is being done for a very specific purpose, if it gets us through those two trips, and ~22,000 miles, then I'll happily throw this in the bin and start again. :)

I'm sure all of these points will mull around in my head over the next few months. I have about 3.5 months before this tank needs to be packed up into my check-in luggage and flown over to the USA, then fitted on the bike over there within a 2 day window before we're out on the bikes for a couple of weeks. :)

thommo

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Chris, could you post a close up photo of the fuel cap thread? if it's to fine, be very careful of it galling. I had that problem with 3 tanks I made over here which required modification. I ended up using an insert that made the fuel cap compatible with many replacement caps available at bigger servos, supercheap, autobarn repco etc for 4wd's and other cars. That way if ti was lost a replacement could easily be sourced on the road.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Chris, could you post a close up photo of the fuel cap thread? if it's to fine, be very careful of it galling. I had that problem with 3 tanks I made over here which required modification. I ended up using an insert that made the fuel cap compatible with many replacement caps available at bigger servos, supercheap, autobarn repco etc for 4wd's and other cars. That way if ti was lost a replacement could easily be sourced on the road.
I like that idea. I'll see how my testing goes over the next month or so of local use here in NZ, and look to change it out if needed. Now that this neck is on there, it should make changing the top part pretty straight forward if needed, we do have limited clearance next to the top box now though, so I'd struggle to go much chunkier than the current lid...

You wouldn't have a link to that insert would you?

This is the one which I bought in order to make that aspect of it as simple as possible when assembling things... I got the 2" version of this.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.41.44e51802U2gyGU

My plan to make this easier to get onto the thread was to put a silver blob of paint or punch a mark in the top of the cap to show where the top ought to be before I start trying to thread it on... I think that alone might make this easy enough to use. Currently I'm getting used to it.

thommo

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'll try and find the link to the insert I used. This thread here shows a photo of the galled and wrecked threads which would be similar to what you have. It also shows the process I did to fix the issue without welding etc.

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/improving-the-poor-fuel-range-of-a-ktm.5064/post-68908

This is the fuel cap I used

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/tridon-tridon-non-locking-fuel-cap-tfnl227/101784.html

It's a pretty common replacement fuel cap for 4wd's and many cars that use a threaded cap. In the centre of the cap I drilled it out enough to expoy in a threaded insert for the safety lanyard, that way you shouldn't loose the fuel cap even if you leave it off.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I'll try and find the link to the insert I used. This thread here shows a photo of the galled and wrecked threads which would be similar to what you have. It also shows the process I did to fix the issue without welding etc.
Thanks for the links and the photos in the other thread.

I see Karl said he's used a little grease on his threads and avoided issues for some time...

That made me wonder if some PTFE tape on the threads might help it to glide a little.

The threads as they stand are likely to be M58x2 threads. The cap itself, until it starts to tighten up against the end of the filler neck is reasonably loose, so there's a chance that PTFE, if wrapped tightly enough on itself might well sit there happily for quite some time before it starts to be eaten away through use... It might be worth a try for a short term gain.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Chris, thank you for responding to my pestering questions. :)

I'm not in agreement with you on negative pressure in the tank. I've seen a couple collapsed fuel tanks from too much of that. If you end up needing to isolate the aux and run only the main, pop the cap on the main to avoid this. It's also extra strain on the fuel pump. An item you don't want to fail in the middle of a rally and one you're unlikely to be able to replace on the clock, so a DNF.

In regards to filters on the aux fuel, there are a number of reasons why you want a filter there. Visual aid, both for flow and for contaminants. You have a bike running poorly, but aren't positive why. A quick check of the aux tank's filter and seeing contaminants or none will tell you if you have a fuel issue. The only filters in the main are a sock filter which has much greater surface area, and a secondary tiny filter in the pump housing.

Also, where do you think that air being pulled in from your vent line is coming from? That air at the back of your bike is pulling contaminants into your aux tank. Some riders even put a filter on the vent line at or near the end to minimize this. In that location it can sometimes foul and cause issues.

And I agree with thommo on the cap/thread issue. I've seen that several times, but have also run years w/o only a few struggles with a similar set up. Frustrating that the China boys don't tell you the pitch and grade of the threads. How close they fit is a function of multiple factors. Minor ID/Major ID as well as grade of thread cut.

After watching the video, (thanks for sharing that!), I would gently put my hand on your shoulder and say: "Bin that filler neck and re-do it as soon as you drain the fuel from the tank." If you can't pass your gloved fingers around the cap between the top box and the cap, that's a pinch point and a recipe for problems. Plus, you need to be able to put the cap on blind in a dust storm or blinding rain w/o fussing about. Angle it out more to the side. You'll be kicking yourself if you "just live with it because it's only for two events". On day 9 your fine motor control is not what it was on day 1.

My last aux tank, note the roll of HVAC tape on the filler neck. (comes in handy for rally flag securing in the wind and has had meters and meters "borrowed" by other riders.) That started out new about double that size on the prior rally bike fuel cell filler neck. The rubber line is from a roll over vent and the metal post is unrelated, a CB antenna mount. That is the Kelch ratchet cap.

The first aux tank, (Tanji cell on a FJR), used an aluminum cap with coarse thread pitch, somewhere in-between what you have now and the kelch pitch. I had occasional issues with it, but not enough to replace it. Same roll of tape in fuller form. In looking back thru my pictures I see I didn't take a lot of pictures from that side of the bike. :confused: Note the angle of the neck and the distance from top box to filler neck.

The project isn't done until you've cut it apart a couple more times after hoping it was done. :D Don't let the desire to leave it as is stop you from correcting issues you discover in use. If the cap is close to the top box now, remember a really tired guy with gloves on has to use this repeatedly over 11 days. Make it squirrel proof, so the crazy squirrel using it has no option for error.

I used this cap on one of my cells and loved it for the simplicity. You can't over tighten it, (click to seal, so it just ratchets after sealing), big and easy to grab with gloved hands and coarse threads. Plus tethered. Kelch Ratchet Cap Non-vented version, of course. It's a 2 ¼” modified buttress thread with 5 threads per inch pitch.

Boyd Welding sells a mating neck - HERE if you can't find local or do not wish to have one turned. (The filler necks that Kelch sells are injection molded plastic.) Boyd also sells Kelch caps in a managed vent and pressure relief managed vent option too, but I'd double check with Dale Wilson to see if the pressure relief managed vent will pass IBR tech if you were interested in that.

Following the IBR, working as a tech inspector and working checkpoints over the years I have seen many riders coming in with taped up fuel cell filler necks and bad gas in the aux tanks. Don't be one of those guys.

Gusset the ears. Do you really want to be riding that two up with them broken? You never know where the IBR will take you and I've seen Alaska on the bonus list more than a few times over the years. Failure points have a habit of failing when you have the least time to repair them, not in the garage at home. I've seen one bad road break aluminum welds. Many a rider in rallies have come back with broken welds and various things held together with ratchet straps & duct tape. It's a simple fix now, rather than the potential regrets later. Bad fabricator, no donut.