Cape to Cape 80 / Cape to Cape Gold

2linby

Premier Member
Question on the starting DBR for this ride. Cape Mendocino proper does not have any businesses that can generate a DBR for the Ride. The closest is in either Ferndale, CA or Fortuna, CA. I have a Spot tracker. Would the Spot tracker and a picture (selfie) of the physical location be enough to satisfy for the start. This is the location off Matolla Rd for the Original Location and would be able to document the location with the spot tracker of the lighthouse which apparently is no longer there. Then the finish at Cape Hattteras. Does this have to be at the actual lighthouse or upon entering the "Town" proper?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The ride documentation guidelines read, in part

"In the real world we all deal with the unexpected. You come to an important turn-around in Wyoming and the station is closed and the pay-at-the-pump will not give a receipt. There is no other open businesses in sight. Document you position as best you can.

• Most smartphones have the option of including “location” in the form of latitude/longitude as metadata in a picture.
  • Take pictures to prove you bought fuel and of the business with the address (if possible) in the frame. Do what you can to prove you were there at a particular time.
  • It is your job to prove you were where you claim to have been."

So use SPOT, take some photos with location data along with date and time, and perhaps obtain a receipt from the nearest location - anything you can do to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

2linby

Premier Member
The ride documentation guidelines read, in part

"In the real world we all deal with the unexpected. You come to an important turn-around in Wyoming and the station is closed and the pay-at-the-pump will not give a receipt. There is no other open businesses in sight. Document you position as best you can.

• Most smartphones have the option of including “location” in the form of latitude/longitude as metadata in a picture.
  • Take pictures to prove you bought fuel and of the business with the address (if possible) in the frame. Do what you can to prove you were there at a particular time.
  • It is your job to prove you were where you claim to have been."

So use SPOT, take some photos with location data along with date and time, and perhaps obtain a receipt from the nearest location - anything you can do to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Ira,

Thanks for the info. Not my first rodeo but it is a big ride and I'd like to get it right!

Ira,

Thanks for the info. Not my first rodeo but it is a big ride and I'd like to get it right!
If possible, let me know when you plan to finish in Cape Hatteras, NC as I plan to do the same ride sometime in 2024. BTW; I'll be in
Cape Hatteras, NC on Friday and Saturday February 2-3, 2024 for an Oyster roast event. Good luck on your ride!

2linby

Premier Member
If possible, let me know when you plan to finish in Cape Hatteras, NC as I plan to do the same ride sometime in 2024. BTW; I'll be in
Cape Hatteras, NC on Friday and Saturday February 2-3, 2024 for an Oyster roast event. Good luck on your ride!
It'll be in June 2024. My grandson is getting Married outside of Jacksonville, NC, so I am planning on being there after the ride and on the way back to Oregon.