Covid Butt 1000

I intend to attend a Rally that still has not been cancelled a scant 500 miles from my home in Napa, CA in a few weeks, and figure I can slip in a SS1000 on my way home. I can adapt to whatever pandemic protocol is in place there when I arrive, but figure the road might have additional considerations. In my area a lockdown is generally the rule, with an occasional curfew when people can't be trusted to behave. No sit down restaurants and all our rest stops are closed. Most of my route being coastal and wooded I'm certain I can tinkle in the trees if needed, but doubt a trooper would be amused to spot me "dropping a deuce" on the side of the road! I do expect gas stations to still keep hours since they are essential infrastructure but will confirm prior to departure that it will be in my favor. Oregon needs an attendant on duty to hand you the gas pump nozzle...

Any input is appreciated about what restrictions and inconveniences to expect, specifically in OR, ID, and NV! Is it unreasonable to still expect food, water, and facilities everywhere with the hours we keep when riding?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes it's unreasonable to have any expectations. You should expect places, including rest areas to be closed, you should expect some restaurants to not allow indoor or even outdoor dining, you should plan on eating gas station food more than you'd like and you should check each states quarantine laws if you intend to stay overnight as well as mask laws as they will vary from county to county, state to state. Likewise for repair shops and dealers should you breakdown.

Although the police may not enforce them, hotels may be required to not allow out of state guests, better to check in advance.

It's your ride, you need to hit the web and research and not rely on others to do your homework only to find out they were wrong....just saying.

It's not doomsday, but if you're riding long distances these days you need to be prepared and self reliant as much as possible.

Yes it's unreasonable to have any expectations. You should expect places, including rest areas to be closed, you should expect some restaurants to not allow indoor or even outdoor dining, you should plan on eating gas station food more than you'd like and you should check each states quarantine laws if you intend to stay overnight as well as mask laws as they will vary from county to county, state to state. Likewise for repair shops and dealers should you breakdown.

Although the police may not enforce them, hotels may be required to not allow out of state guests, better to check in advance.

It's your ride, you need to hit the web and research and not rely on others to do your homework only to find out they were wrong....just saying.

It's not doomsday, but if you're riding long distances these days you need to be prepared and self reliant as much as possible.
I do appreciate the input! And yes, self reliance is even more critical than normal. Since our quarantine laws here seem to be in a state of flux, including by county, I thought current conditions for those states might be helpful! I will roll up in just a week or two and knowing now might give me a general idea how attitudes differ from here, I simply plan to be in a mask regardless. I'm good with gas station food and won't be needing a bed anywhere other than my destination, which they gave me already! Repair shops I hadn't considered having never used one before (still could need), thanks for the heads-up!

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
As of now Oregon is still pretty wide open; most restaurants, bars, hotels, rest areas, etc are open. Masks are required pretty much everywhere. In a few weeks? Who knows.

Most gas stations no longer require you to wait for an attendant to hand you the nozzle. I just swipe my card and start pumping and nobody ever cares. Rural counties officially allow self serve after hours for everyone now.

As of now Oregon is still pretty wide open; most restaurants, bars, hotels, rest areas, etc are open. Masks are required pretty much everywhere. In a few weeks? Who knows.

Most gas stations no longer require you to wait for an attendant to hand you the nozzle. I just swipe my card and start pumping and nobody ever cares. Rural counties officially allow self serve after hours for everyone now.
Very helpful! Thank you!

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I should add... Although you can self serve on a motorcycle, don't count on stations being open after 7:00 or 8:00pm. I recently tried to get gas in Oakridge at 5:00am and all the stations in town were closed with their pumps either off or padlocked. Oakridge is 50 miles from anywhere but it's in the same county as Eugene so technically not rural enough for after hours self serve.