Cross that one off the bucket list - Part 1

I posted this on the FarRiders forum, but I can load the photos here. I hope I have posted it correctly. Sorry if not.

Cross this one off the Bucket List

The Background

Like many other LD riders, I fell into long distance riding through a chance meeting with other riders and talking about where what destinations they had ridden to and where were they planning to go next. An early morning coffee and pre ride chat with VikingOlly (Olaf Moon) as part of the Canberra HOG group was my starting point. Olaf had this funny number plate surround that mentioned Iron Butt. So I asked “what is that all about?”, and so it started.

First came FarRiders and the FarRiders forum. Reading about these “big dogs” who were riding Iron Butt distances, all across the country at all times of the day and night. Then came the FarRide to Warren in NSW. This was going to be a 1200+ kms round trip from Cooma to Warren and back. All I had to do was add another 400kms and I will have my first IBA ride. At Warren, I meet another rider who once lived in Cooma and his name was Skidoooo (Karl Pirchmoser), and he talked about having completed some IBA rides. He wished me luck and off he rode. I completed the ride and had my first IBA certificate. I wanted more.

I did a run to Border Village and because of poor preparation I struggled greatly on the second day for the run between Ceduna and Border Village. I was so wrecked that I had to hit the sack early Saturday afternoon. I submit my paperwork for a SS2000 and BB2500, but I must have done something wrong and I do not receive my certification.

Over the next few years I complete more FarRides, some with Fran (my wife) all the while adding Farkles my 2009 Harley Davidson Heritage (purchased with inheritance money left to me by my late mother). GPS and SPOT tracker, music and headsets are all fine-tuned.

I receive a lot of support from Skidooo and we often discuss what riding I had done and what he was working on at the time, especially for the new rides he was planning, like the ANZAC day ride and Power to the People ride. I tell him I want to have a crack at the CC50 and he says I will do it easily. I have reservations because of the poor execution of the Border Village ride. I think Skidooo understood that I found it easier to tag along to a planned ride then doing the planning myself. In 2016 he planned a CC50 and opened it up to other riders. This was my chance, I am in, but on the FarRide to Armidale in February 2016 I noticed a noise in the motor and I called into the mechanic to check it out. 6 months later I have the bike back on the road, so I missed that opportunity.

In November 2016 I run into that fellow again, Olaf Moon, and he said that kiwimartin (Martin Little) was planning another attempt at the CCC100 in 2017 and if I was interested he would include my on the emails. Ok I said and it is on again.

Ride plans are developed and shared, I complete a fuel economy ride while on my way to Mount Beauty FarRide. My ride plan is developed and the bike is set up a couple of weeks ahead of time. Lights sorted, itinerary planned and loaded into the GPS, IT cables packed, SPOT subscription paid, Spotwalla programmed with Martins help, additional fuel organised.

The Plan

So the plan is to ride to Sydney on Thursday night 9th March, stay at AirBnB with Olaf and Martin. Depart for Coogee Beach at 1:30am, get sand/water sample, photo’s then to the Caltex Star Mart servo for fuel, obtain a leaving docket and get three witnesses. NOTE to self, even though you may get a receipt for the fuel, before you get on your bike and start the ride, go back into the servo and buy anything to get the latest possible time to your departure as possible. Those couple of minutes could mean a lot at the other end. We would then refuel at Gundagai South, Hay, Renmark, Port Augusta and Ceduna. Sleep at Ceduna before heading to Border Village, Caiguna, Norseman, Southern Cross and finally Scarborough Beach…. Easy lololol

The Ride

Olaf, Martin and I were in good spirits as we all went about dressing and loading our bikes before the Martin led us on the short ride down to Coogee beach. As we rode to the beach, I noticed other bikes coming up behind us. The excitement was building knowing that we were all close to setting off on this epic ride (at least it was epic in my mind). With a few quick introductions to Peter Hogan (Ox), William Beaton (Tiger Bill), Frans van der Merwe, John Inkson (Enterprise) I made my way down to the water’s edge to collect a sample of the Pacific Ocean and Coogee sand. A quick photo at the Coogee Beach sign and then up to the servo.

upload_2017-4-12_23-55-40.png

The bike was fuelled up and then witnesses arranged. Bags checked and rechecked, the GPS turned on and set for the first leg, SPOT was turned on and set to tracking (not that my SPOT worked during the ride). Catch up with Peter Navin (Knave) and John Negus. There is a lot of excitement in the group and a real buzz in the car park. We tell the service station attendant what we about to attempt and he brings out 6 cold bottles of water on the house. How thoughtful was that? A few sips to calm the nerves, what am I thinking? I am just going for a ride on my bike, why am I nervous I wonder? Martin says to make sure I get another receipt as we are about to go. A get a packet of chewing gum and the docket reads 2:25am. I register my kms on the receipt and tuck it away in my tank bag and finish getting dressed. Headset on, music connected and Martin starts moving towards the road. “OK, it looks like it’s about to happen”. I grab first gear, bring up the revs and let out the clutch, I am now starting my trip across Australia. It is a warm morning and I am sweating, my heart is racing and my whole body is twitching with the adrenalin pumping through me now. We are off………

I settle into the bike and keep an eye on those around me. As long distance riders we tend not to ride in a group very often. Once we reach the Eastern Distributer I start to relax as I know where I am going and there is no need to keep up with the group or rely on my GPS. We travel out of Sydney and as we head past the Campbelltown exits the group starts to sort themselves out and setting their cruise controls (I wish) and start melting the asphalt on the road with their Clearwater LED lights. The weather is great but cooling with every kilometre travelled. I keep an eye on my fuel consumption and realise that I will not make it to Gundagai and will have to top up from my jerry can. Olaf pulls over at Marulan to check on a bike parked at the entrance to the service stations. We pass Goulburn without any red and blue lights to dampen our mood. We run through a small amount of fog as we veer right towards Yass/Melbourne, but it is short lived and it is clear skies ahead as we pass the McDonalds at Yass. I have turned the heated grips on to keep my fingers warm as I am sure I am gripping the handlebars way tooo tightly. There is a side road up ahead and I see a bike at the entrance, so I decide to pull in and top up my tank. Ox comes over to see how I am going. What an experience to have Ox come over and just talk with me as I go through my refilling process. You have got to remember that here is a guy that I have read so much about in relation to his achievements in long distance riding and he is assisting me to refuel my bike and having a casual chat about what he sees as the critical elements to a successful ride, which by the way is efficient fuel stops. He brings no pressure, just a load of positive comments and he is so organised. He does not judge or give me the impression that my bike is not suited for this challenge, he was just full of positive comments and support.

While refuelling Olaf motors past trying to make up the time lost at Marulan. We mount up and head to Gundagai. Scott and Rob are nowhere to be seen, the advantages of bigger tanks, and bladders. Olaf has just finished refuelling and is talking to Martin. I refuel my jerry can and main tank then grab a drink and snack, the time is 06:17am. I record my mileage and stored my receipt. I had a quick chat to Olaf and Martin about my plan and say that I cannot run with you guys and that I will ride to my plan and tick tack with them as we go. It’s all good and off they ride. It was agreed early in the planning stage that while we will start out riding as a group, ultimately we will ride to our own plans and within our own comfort limits.

Feeling really good, I load up and head south on the highway with the sun starting to come up over my left shoulder. I look for the turn off to Wagga and I am surprised that it is so far down the road. After the turn I adjust my speed and pay close attention to the sides of the road as there is the occasional dead roo, meaning there could be other alive ones somewhere nearby. I pass the RAAF base and continue through Wagga. I feel myself getting agitated with the slower speed limit.

Out of Wagga and the bike is purring. All systems are go. I am a little heavy on fuel compared to my fuel run, but I remember that I am riding a bike that has the aerodynamics of a brick, and weighs in at more than 350kgs. The weather is great, overcast and a little on the cooler side, and “touch wood” I have not seen any wildlife. I am having such a great ride I forget about having to refuel the bike and literally run out of fuel. I stop on the side of a road and refuel from my jerry can. This leg of the trip takes me past Narrandera, Darlington Point and then into Hay for the next fuel stop. I notice there is a lot of activity in the servo and another bike I did not recognise. It is Fatman and Lynne the Pillion. I pulled in and eventually found a 98 ULP bowser and proceeded to start to refuel. I was excited to see Fatman and LTP there to meet us all. A quick introduction and hello, then a catch up with Olaf and photo opportunity by LTP, then Martin and Olaf were off again.

upload_2017-4-12_23-55-22.png

upload_2017-4-12_23-55-8.png

I explained to Fatman that I was now on a different strategy and that I would be riding by myself. He was heading after the others to get some photos. I got fuel and something to eat and drink, recorded my mileage and changed out of my heavy riding gear and put on my camelback. I was off again.

Down the road I spotted Fatman and LTP on the side of the road. They slowly caught me (keeping to the speed limit at all times) and we played a game of “I’m taking a photo of you taking a photo of me taking” you see where this is going …...

upload_2017-4-12_23-54-28.png upload_2017-4-12_23-54-46.png

We get caught at some roadworks not long after leaving Hay. As we leave the roadworks Fatman and LTP drop back and allow me to get back in the rhythm of knocking over the kms. The temperature starts to rise and I keep checking my hydration levels, forcing myself to drink from my camelback. I am enjoying the ride and before I know it I am passing Balranald and onto to Euston. The temperature continues to rise and I decide to call into Buronga (Mildura) to get fuel rather than keep riding to Renmark and having to refuel on the side of the road, something Skidoooo and I talked about in the planning stages. I run into Olaf and Martin and we have a quick chat about how we are all travelling. It looks like we are all doing well. They head off as I pay for the fuel and grab a cold drink.

In preparation for this ride, I purchase a hydration vest as seen on HDTV. I wet it down again, refill my camelback and head off through Mildura towards Renmark. All is going well as I pass the quarantine station before Renmark. They ask the usual question about having any fruit. I offer the ladies a fruit chew and say that is the only fruit I am carrying today. I am then in Renmark and need to feed the rider so I stop for a feed, I rest while I check in at home. I am not sure stopping for so long was a good idea as I start to feel weary, so I put my head down for 10 minutes and feel refreshed again. I load up and head west.

I load the next section into the GPS as I will be travelling on new roads for me. The bike is going well and I am feeling refreshed as I head towards Port Augusta. I travel through Morgan, Burra, Spalding and Crystal Brook. I marvel at the changing countryside taking a few pictures as I go. Martin says this route will save me time and I arrive in Port Augusta just as it starts to get dark. I have always disliked travelling at dusk, either in the car or on the bike, so I decide to use this time to take on more fluids and let some go and wait until it is darker before heading off to Ceduna. I miss Olaf and Martin as they are well ahead of me know, but their text messages of support keep my spirits high.

The HID’s and LED’s are checked as I head out of Port Augusta before making the right hand turn to Ceduna. There is very little traffic as I settle in for the next 470kms. I am feeling good as I adjust to riding with the lights. I am so glad I completed the recent FarRide to Mt Beauty and got to test the lights on that trip. I found the ride to Ceduna to be very enjoyable. I ran the bike to empty and then refuelled on the side of the road. Still very little traffic which allowed me to remain on high beam for extended periods of time. I cruised into Ceduna and made my way to the BP where I got my room key. I asked the attendant to sign my witness form, which she gladly agreed to do. I refuelled my jerry can and would refuel the bike in the morning. My receipt said 00:58 or 1:28am AEDST. I had completed my 2000kms in 23 hours. Not bad I thought as I slowly rode the bike around to my room, but I think that I really did waste a lot of time during my fuel stops and I will have to work on that for future rides. I am over the moon that I did not see any animals on day 1, but I still have day 2 to go. I am sorry to all those staying at the motel for all the noise I made, but some of us will ride Harley’s.

I unload the bike, put everything on charge that I can and hit the shower. Aghhhhhh that felt good. I check the time and my ride plan and set my alarm accordingly. I am focused on a 50CC now and decide to sleep long.

Day 2

What a great sleep. The alarm goes off and I am up feeling mentally great but the body is stiff and sore. I get moving, as I move through each phase as I ready for the new day. Bathroom checked, bike checked and room checked. L refuel the bike and get a coffee. The receipt says 6:44am or 07:14am AEDST. A little under 6 hours to get to my room, shower, sleep, wake, pack and refuel the bike and ready to leave. I record this more for future reference then for the information for the readers. It is a great looking day as I head out of the servo.

I enjoy the scenery as I cruse towards Penong. The last time I passed here I was on my Border Village run and I was extremely tired, so this time I could have a good look and enjoy the ride. Through Penang and on to the Nullarbor Roadhouse. The wind was stronger today and the bike was being pushed round. I stopped to get a couple of photos before pulling in to get fuel. The management had changed at the roadhouse because they did not want my wallet before filling up. My fuel receipt said 9:57am or 10:27am AEDST. I was feeling a little peckish here and got a coffee and toasted sandwich, it was great and as I was just about to leave a small bus load of seniors entered the store. One lady was obviously a previous rider and she asked me where I was going. I explained that I was riding from Sydney to Perth in under 50 hours. Well she had to tell everyone and then they all wanted photos with me and the bike. Once they left I then had a young couple from overseas who wanted to know what I was up to. I explained what I was up to and they asked where I was from? Now I have met a lot of people while travelling around and only about 50% would know where Cooma, NSW is. So I was not expecting them to know where it was, but what do you know they had passed through Cooma on their way from Sydney to Melbourne. What a lovely couple, but I had already lost around 40 minutes with all this chatting so it was on with the gear and out of the servo I go.

As I exit the Nullarbor Roadhouse I check the road is clear both ways. There is a truck coming but he is a long way off so I am keen to get going, so I bring up the revs and let the clutch out a bit quick. My back wheel is still on the dirt and I spin the back wheel, the bike high sides me and down I go. I land on my elbow and feel a sting of pain and some dampness. I expect I have cut my elbow and I am bleeding but not badly. I unload the bags and pick up the Harley. A driver helps me and I get it off the road away from the truck. I check out the bike and it appears to have landed on the driving light and everything looks good. I check the oil and switch the ignition to ON. The lights all work, the engine fires and all things sound ok. I load the bike and head off, now having lost 1 hour at this stop.

upload_2017-4-12_23-53-54.png upload_2017-4-12_23-54-4.png

I have a good run to Border Village, only stopping for a photo opportunity at the Great Australian Bight. At Border Village I refuel, get a drink, soak my hydration vest and get a signature for my BB2500 IBA ride. My receipt says 10:51am or 1:51pm AEDST. I am very excited to be traveling past BV as I have never been further west of this point by road. I get a few photos at the border crossing and head on towards Eucla. I am like a school kids in a lolly store. I am looking at around and I am excited to see the scenery change again. I am amazed at the escarpment to my right as I ride along the lower level. The road is good and the weather is fine but a little windy. I am enjoying every kilometre.

I am ride through Madura pass, still excited to see all this new country. On past Cocklebiddy and things are going well. I use this time to check my GPS and to do calculations on the distance remaining to Perth verses the time left to the 50 hour mark. I am looking good and I will continue to monitor this all day, it also helps me to gauge if I am getting tired when I cannot do the calculations. I pull into Caiguna and refuel my jerry can and main tank and keep moving. The receipt says 1:56pm or 4:56pm AEDST. I decide to get a photo of the ninety mile straight on the way back as I lost so much time earlier. I marvel at the sections of road that double as an emergency landing strip for planes. I calculate that I will arrive at Scarborough Beach with approximately 15 minutes to spare, and that is allowing plenty of time for fuel and rests.

Before long I am passing Ballidonia and the BP at Norseman comes into sight. I pull into the servo and fuel up, have a chat to the attendant about my ride. The receipt says 5:17pm or 8:17pm AEDST. I checked my lights out on the bike before the run to Scarborough. I notice that my left hand HID was bumped when I dropped the bike. I get the tools out and adjust the light and we are all good. I am feeling good as I leave the servo with its lights fading in my rear vision mirror.

I hit the roadworks and because of the time of day, I only slow slightly and made good time through them. The sunset was fantastic over my right shoulder as I headed towards Coolgardie. I click away with my camera but I cannot get a good shot. I turned left and headed towards Southern Cross, checking and rechecking my distance to finish and time left. I was still looking good to finish within the 50 hours, but I am wanting to stretch my legs as I was passing Yellowdine Roadhouse. Its open and I make the decision to stop and fuel up. I can get to Scarborough Beach from here with full tanks. I grab some fuel, a coffee and a snack. The receipt said 10:43pm. (The owner lives in NSW and sets the time on the till to AEDST). I got the attendants name and explained what I was doing and that someone may call and check the time stamp on the receipt. I make a note on the receipt and write some details in my diary.

I am now fuelled up and ready for the final run to Scarborough Beach. I select this last leg in the GPS, and head off towards Perth. I am riding by the bikes lights again and cannot see anything of the surrounding countryside. Soon I can see the lights of Perth and I follow the GPS directions taking me towards my goal. I am doing mental calculation constantly as the kilometres continue to count down as does the minutes left to my deadline. It is looking good and I am really excited when the kms drop below 10 to my destination.

I can see the BP sign up ahead and I know that I have made it. As I turn the corner and pull into the parking lot I see a Kawasaki Z1400 parked there. I dismount my ride and remove my helmet and ask “Are you here to meet me” and Gus says “I’m not, unless you’re Dave”. Introductions are made and Gus says to get inside and get a receipt. I order and pay for a coffee, the receipt says 01:11am or 04:11am AEDST. I have made it with 14 minutes to spare.

My first thought is “that was easier than expected” and as I have a chat to Gus, Martin turns up to get receipts for his return leg of the trip. Soon Olaf arrives as does Scott. It handshakes all round, pats on the back and even a couple of hugs as everyone is on a high that I made it within the timeframe. I get some signatures and I lock everything away. I wish Olaf, Martin and Scott the very best for their return leg, and as they head out of town, I head for my accommodation, a hot shower and bed.

upload_2017-4-12_23-53-20.png upload_2017-4-12_23-53-29.png

What were the standout memories from this ride? The support. I would get a boost of renewed energy whenever I got updates. Weather being told about the people watching through Spotwalla (not mine of course) or Philmor calling my wife to see how I was travelling or those who chose to be a part of the ride (Ox, Frans, Fatman and LTP). You don’t know just how much of a boost you all gave me.

A special must go out to Olaf and Martin who were calling and leaving messages or texting me with words of encouragement. At one stage they even asked if I needed anything to help me get over the line. I am unsure what they could have done, but just the offer was a huge boost to my moral and determination to finish the ride successfully.

Great journey, thanks for sharing so what's next on your bucket list?
Well, I made it over under the 50 hours, and I wasted so much time during my fuel stops. So with some additional items for the bike, engine bar for cruising pegs and to mount more lights, brackets for drink bottles and develop some form of system for eating while riding, I should have a crack at the CCC100.

But first I have a holiday to USA in July to do and pay for. I would really to complete the ANZAC ride and Power to the People ride. So that should be enough for a start.

Reader57

Well done on the ride Dave. It is a very special ride that carries a lot of prestige. I have just completed a SS4000k and it was just a ride but my 50cc; that was special.

And good to see you used nearly all the allotted time to complete it in. There are not many like us who can plan a ride to that detail. ;)

Skidoo

Premier Member
What a fantastic ride David, I knew you could and would punch it out.

Really enjoyed the ride report and pics. When we ride its critical to ride our ride and you did it well.

Now you have a taste of these, 'fun' rides, it's time to push the envelope and I'm looking forward to your next one and reading part two :)