Death Valley 1,000 "Insanity"

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
INSANITY? Well, maybe just a defective gene or two. I'm doing a IBA SaddleSore 1,000 to demonstrate the effectiveness of Long-Distance hot weather rider gear and techniques. Having ridden in Death Valley many times, I've never challenged this extreme environment for more than a few hours. This is my opportunity to do a detailed, disciplined and certified IBA challenge event, all inside the boundaries of Death Valley National Park. Follow my hot riding adventure and share with others.

Hard Riding Adventures - Death Valley 1,000 "Insanity" (preparation)

Hard Riding Adventure - Riding on the Sun's Anvil. (Ride report)

Last edited:

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member
Oh I'm interested in this as well.... been following your SPOT since you left TX. I'd come out and cheer you on if I wasn't stuck in Vegas and on-call (Can't leave town in case I am paged).

So whats the difference between the "Death Valley 1000 Insanity" and the "Death Valley 1000" both are within the park but the insanity just has to hit triple digits at one point?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
So whats the difference between the "Death Valley 1000 Insanity" and the "Death Valley 1000" both are within the park but the insanity just has to hit triple digits at one point?
From Tim's Blogger page intro:

" The 'Insanity' version is done between July 1 and September 15 where daytime temperatures exceed 100 degrees F "

So, seems to be both a date window, and - of course - temperature window.

118 for the high today, 89 for the low.

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member
I keep thinking that this could be an expensive ride.... gas there is not cheap. :)

Looking forward to the ride report... I'll save me questions until the end. Good Luck, I'll be following along on the SPOT page.

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
RIDE REPORT: The Death Valley 1,000, "Insanity"
"Riding On The Sun's Anvil"

I finished, riding a total of 1,026.3 miles in 20:54 total time with 18:09 moving and 2:45 stopped time. The overall average was 49.1 MPH and moving average of 56.5 MPH. Over the 1,026.3 miles, the motorcycle consumed 22.191 gallons of gas. At a rate of 46.25 miles per gallon, this my 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure an effective fuel endurance distance of 365 miles per tank, at 56 MPH moving average speeds. There were no 'close calls' during the ride.

See the graph of the temperature data collected during the ride: GRAPH OF TEMPERATURE DATA

Last edited:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The graphical data for the temperature differential - fantastic work to acquire that!

Nicely done, sir!