Does anyone else have troubles with Google Maps auto-dimming?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I won't even bother posting this on another riding forum because of the BW:BS ratio. I'm hoping that some experienced high-milers will have run into this.

To start, I use a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S as my navigator of choice. But every once in a while, I want to consult Google Maps on My Samsung Galaxy S20FE for something, and I have this recurring, nagging problem.

No matter what I do to try to stop it, Google Maps insists on dimming the screen after about 20 seconds. If I turn on the master Auto Brightness controls for the phone, Google Maps still auto-dims. If I turn off the master Auto Brightness and manually set to maximum, Google Maps still wants to auto-dim.

It's only Google Maps. My other commonly used apps (email, photo gallery, podcasts) will run at whatever brightness I set and stay there. Only Google Maps insists on auto-dimming no matter what I do. It does it whether it's 100+ degrees outside, or 40 degrees.

It's driving me nuts, as GMaps will dim so much that the app becomes essentially useless. I can't figure out for the life of me how to stop it.

Anyone else run into this? Is there some Secret Squirrel setting I'm missing? I don't want to use the Dark theme if I can avoid it.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've read a couple of things about this recently, one Google response was that the screen's brightness is variable based upon the ambient lighting conditions during day or night. Apparently they removed features in Gmaps that gave you settings to turn this off.

The other comment was: To disable screen dimming during navigation -

To access this new setting initiate a navigation session, tap the menu button, then select More > Settings and de-select Screen Dimming (it's on by default).

I also read a comment from a phone expert that Samsung phones get overheated if the brightness is at max and will auto dim regardless of power saving mode off and auto dim off, etc. Not sure if that is relevant to your situation.

Another comment was that you need to actually be in navigation, as in you selected a point or address to route to and hit "Start Navigation". " Until you actually start the navigation your Android is treating Google Maps as another window and will turn it off automatically as per your display settings."

Is the phone plugged in and getting power or are you on the phone's battery power? Several comments suggested that if it's not plugged in, the dimming occurs with Gmaps, even if it doesn't with other apps. And there is supposedly a third party app to correct that.

Hope some of this is helpful.