Egg Hunt 1000

We had planned a Egg Hunt 1000 Gold ride for this Saturday. Egg Harbor Wi. They are now calling for freezing rain. There are not many Egg towns in the Midwest. My question is about Mentone Indiana. I know it doesn't have Egg in the name. Which probably answers the question. It does have a 10' tall Egg statue on main street. With the saying Egg basket of the Midwest. Could this count? If not, maybe next year.

yon

Premier Member
If you don't get a response in time for the giant egg, Creighton's Crazy Egg Cafe & Coffee Bar is only a few miles away from it and would meet the signage requirement for the gold ride. Location is 4221 W Old Rd 30, Warsaw, IN 46580 / 41.24837225826518, -85.923434536362. Good luck and hopefully the weather won't prevent you from riding.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
Do Church signs count as Commercial signs?
For instance if there was a hypothetical church called Eggtown Methodist Church and they had a sign out front that included their name would that count toward the gold photo requirement?
"OR picture of any commercial sign with 'egg' as part of its name, for example, Gregg, Missouri or Eggleston Heights, Florida or Leggets' Bar in New Jersey would all be acceptable."

Several of these small unincorporated towns with Egg in the name do not have any commercial (retail or fuel) businesses that could produce a DBR. I have not found many that even have a visible sign or business that shows the town name.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
We had planned a Egg Hunt 1000 Gold ride for this Saturday. Egg Harbor Wi. They are now calling for freezing rain. There are not many Egg towns in the Midwest. My question is about Mentone Indiana. I know it doesn't have Egg in the name. Which probably answers the question. It does have a 10' tall Egg statue on main street. With the saying Egg basket of the Midwest. Could this count? If not, maybe next year.
It does not have "egg" in its' name. That does, indeed, answer the question. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Just a update. We had a beautiful day for a ride. Low temp of 37 degrees. High of 69 degrees. Creighton's Crazy Egg Cafe & Coffee Bar was an awesome destination. Actually flew through Chicago. A little sore and tired. Only got the bike out of winter storage 2 weeks ago. Ride submitted and looking forward to the nest. Planned CC50. Most importantly no snow or freezing rain! creightons.jpg mentone.jpg

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
My EggHunt 1000 will be my first IBA ride failure.
Had a rear tire blow out. Completely shredded it. Sitting on the side of hwy 78 outside Tupelo, MS right now waiting on my tow truck.

First real bike tire blow out I have had. I have had a screw or a nail before and a slow leak but this was the first fishtail inducing head shake causing blow out for me. I got it stopped upright but it was sketchy for a moment.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
Just to update my post,

Waited for 3 hours for the tow truck. Blow out at 6 pm, droped it off the wrecker at 11 pm. Finally in my hotel, showered, and crashing for the night.

Got in contact with a local ADV Rider forum member and between him and the local shop I have hope I can get on the road home by tomorrow afternoon.

Fortunes to be counted. The bike is in one piece (other than the rear tire), I am in one (tired) piece, and the credit card can handle the rest.

Just makes me want to get a TPMS system sooner rather than later. I suspect it could have warned me before the tire actually let go. I should have had another 2000 to 3000 more miles on that tire and the pressure was perfect on pretrip at 5 am this morning.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
Were you able to find the cause of the failure?
What tire was/is this?
How many miles on it?
No on the true cause. I should have looked closer but I was focused on the new tire going on and a non BMW tech/shop getting the wheel on and off without stripping bolts or other damage.

I did not see anything glaring like a nail or screw but it may have come out with the missing tread if there was one.

Metzeler Tourance in 150/70R17 with 6k to 7k on it.
It "should have" been good for 8k to 10k based on every thing I have read and it looked to have 2k to 3k left at the start of my day. That would have put it in the 8k to 9k range.

I have now heard reporting from 3 individuals that say metzelers delaminate. One individual had three delaminate on him before giving up on the brand. Anecdotal of course but alarming.