FOXY In State (NSW) SS1600 #2

cjmckay

Premier Member
When we finished our first SS1600K with the FOXY Group in January there were two issues:
1. One member had to pull out due to illness.
2. More members thought they'll like an opportunity to join the madness.
So, one young lady came to me and stated that she wanted to do one - it was now on her to do list and a plan was hatched. Working around work schedules that limited ride times and the associated recovery I suggested the long weekend in October (which meant noone needed to take additional time off work). The plan was to run the ride along the same routes we'd previously done (its a relatively 'easy' ride in terms of the route itself). A month or so ago - we opened up the ride to anyone else from our extended group that might be interested and ended up with 6 starters. Myself (for SS1600 #3), @bipyjamas (for the hell of it - making it his 3rd SS1600K but I don't think he's going to get this one certified), one of the other guys that joined on us on the original fun (for the hell of it - for his 2nd SS1600K if he applies for certification), Nick (who missed the first ride but did the ANZAC with me, but doing it on a different bike), Roxanne (first time doing an IBA ride and the reason we are doing this one) and David (on his first IBA ride).
So, we met up at our start point (most of us still not managing to work out how to get a decent night's sleep before one of the attempts) just before 2am on Sunday 1st October and got all our intercoms linked up (we all ride with Cardo Packtalks which helps with communications on the road and also means that there is banter for the entire ride - most of which should never be recorded. As it turned out, we had to deal with the changeover to Daylight Savings time and so in a matter of 1 second, an hour was gone and the starting receipt was just after 3am. The initial leg was uneventful except having to deal with a driver who was 'all over the place' (I suspect drug affected). Goulburn, Gundagai and then Wagga Wagga (for some breakfast). Gillenbah, Hay and on to Balranald for lunch and our turn around point. Unfortunately (and surprisingly) the cafe at the 'Discover Centre' was closed (last ride we had lunch there) so we had lunch at the Ampol, with our expectations around the quality of the food being well exceeded. Now to go back the way we came... Heading out we got flashed a few time so we were on the lookout until we came across a 4wd that had come unstuck and had rolled off the road between Hay and Balranald and was being attended to by the emergency services. Hay, Gillenbah and then straight through Wagga Wagga to Gundagai for dinner. Then the final stretch home. One last stop was Goulburn and the obligatory 'team photo' with the backside of the Big Merino before the final leg back to our start point. We pulled back into our starting location, did the odo photo business and received congratulations from friends in our extended riding group who had come out in the early hours of the morning to meet us.
Now just dealing with the paperwork for certification and adding yet a few more new members to the list of IBA certified riders (and looking forward to the next one).

It is interesting to note the difference over the 3 rides. At the end of this one, I was feeling pretty good. Riding a 'lounge on wheels' definitely helps with only a twinge in my right shoulder where my collar bone links in (but that is gone in the morning which is good). No pain in my hands (which caused me grief after the first ride). The only other issue post-ride is a cramp in my right calf and hamstring which only appears to come on after I've been asleep but was not tight during the ride at all. I've also noticed a lot less 'brain fog' the day after (I did some research and modified my eating habits during the ride to see if that would help- which appears to have been successful). There was one thing different with this ride - heading from Sydney don't to Wagga we noticed the temperature changes a lot more. Typically we get one or two changes (warm to cold and then back to warm again) - this time we got 8deg swings (16degC to 8swgC, 14degC to 6degC etc) over the course of 100s of metres and then back again - over and over again... quite strange... the only time I've experienced similar rapid temperature shifts is scuba diving through thermoclines.

All up - a very enjoyable ride. Was good to see lots of water in the rivers and creeks, including the Murrumbidgee. Thanks to those that joined me and made the experience what it was. I'll let the others write their reports and maybe the newbies will introduce themselves and their experience/version of the ride.

Last edited:

Vlad

Premier Member
I have a particular fondness for arm chairs on wheels especially yellow ones:D
The cramps always come when your asleep, a couple of magnesium tablets make a big difference.
Congratulations on completing another IBA ride and it’s excellent to see more of your group having a go.
I find when it comes to these rides ,generally, variety is the spice of life.
Well done to you all.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Variety - 100% agree. I figure getting a couple of SS1600Ks in before locking in some of the bigger rides (although many have rough plans - i.e. routes are done pending detailing of fuel stops etc). Also working on what works and what doesn't and ironing out the various things that impact the ride. One step at a time...

HACKLE

Cameron, firstly congratulations to yourself and your "small family" of riding friends. As Vlad and Martin have both said. Magnesium tablets, water intake through the ride and stretching, stretching and more stretching through the ride. All parts of the body, upper and lower. It can be difficult to do lower parts if your riding a bike with forward controls but you'll work it out.
Now the planning for more rides begins. Once you put that "drug" into your body there's no escaping the pleasure. Cheers.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Cameron, firstly congratulations to yourself and your "small family" of riding friends. As Vlad and Martin have both said. Magnesium tablets, water intake through the ride and stretching, stretching and more stretching through the ride. All parts of the body, upper and lower. It can be difficult to do lower parts if your riding a bike with forward controls but you'll work it out.
Now the planning for more rides begins. Once you put that "drug" into your body there's no escaping the pleasure. Cheers.
@HACKLE - Plenty of routes in the computer. Some are talking about a SS1600K in every state/territory. Another pulled me aside asking about an opportunity to do a BB2500K with an embedded SS2000 attempt. Another is eyeing off (in the distance) a 50CC. Me? I'm happy to any excuse to get out for a decent ride.

I kept my water (and this time food) intake up and I get plenty of stretching in and at the end of (and during) the ride there was no tightness at all. I suspect it is electrolytes (magnesium and possible a little potassium) that need to be dealt with. Each SS1600K at the moment is an attempt at learning to deal with these issues to open up the opportunity for some of the larger rides (finally dealing with (eliminating) the 'next day brain fog' on this ride is encouraging).

HACKLE

Everyone is different [me being 75 years young] but I take a couple of Nurofen just prior to starting, then maybe two more at about the half distance point. Just to keep me supple and ward of any little niggles that I don't have to worry about. Cheers.

Kimmie

Good of you to lead a pack on a SS1600 and all complete it!! Well done.

Agree with everyone else when it comes to magnesium for the cramping.
In the early days I used to take voltaren caps a couple of days before, then during the ride for joint soreness but I take glucosamine now which is much better for you and take it all the time.

cjmckay

Premier Member
As Britney Spears once said "Oops.. I did it again!"... Another SS1600K (different route) Sydney to Melbourne return. No cramps just a nasty blister on my right hand. Same gloves as I always wear, but no two rides are the same. This one was done on 'short notice' - committed at 9pm for a 3am start the next day. Ride out was 10deg or so but bone chilling (2 weeks earlier - 10deg was ok... same gear everything....) The rest I'll leave to someone else to tell as their story is far more interesting (being a Gold certified ride)....

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And nice job you two with your Insta-Cert applications on your Sydney to Melbourne and return ride. I cannot imagine any Premier rider who’d continue to use the ‘long form’ ride certification application after submitting via Insta-Cert. Saying this selfishly because it speeds the verification process on our end not to mention it takes the rider 5 minutes at most to complete.

As Britney Spears once said "Oops.. I did it again!"... Another SS1600K (different route) Sydney to Melbourne return. No cramps just a nasty blister on my right hand. Same gloves as I always wear, but no two rides are the same. This one was done on 'short notice' - committed at 9pm for a 3am start the next day. Ride out was 10deg or so but bone chilling (2 weeks earlier - 10deg was ok... same gear everything....) The rest I'll leave to someone else to tell as their story is far more interesting (being a Gold certified ride)....
No story to tell @cjmckay.

Just a simple out and back on one of my other bikes, a scooter technically. I wanted to attach the IB number plate backing to the scooter, but the bike had to earn it first.

Thanks for the impromptu company. Definitely made the ride easier. It's interesting you are able to knock out a run on a whim :p

Last edited: