Front to rear

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
As my T7 is now four years old and it's winter and i was bored got it on the bike lift cleaned the front callipers, changed brake fluid, new front tyre 11600 miles on the old one Avon trail rider so a new trail rider fitted £120.00.
Fresh coolant and rad flush, oil change, rear link and swing arm bearings checked and re-packed with grease, just caught the rear pads they were almost down to the metal replaced with EBC pads at £18.00 half the OEM price they feel a lot better with more bite, chain and sprockets in good nick so cleaned and adjusted.
In all for four years of enjoyment for not too much money these mid sized bikes are more value for money certainly better than my old 1200 GS.

Firstpeke

Good to hear you are still enjoying the bike....

Likewise I enjoy my NT1100 but not doing the servicing myself whilst still under warranty..... I have a decision to make in the middle of the year to either extend the warranty or change the bike.... I have never before extended a warranty on a Honda, but this modern stuff has so many things that make me nervous about NOT having a warranty!

Nowhere near as nervous as when I had the RT though.......

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Well done John, I'm just about to get a round tuit and start an all fluids replacement service on the old Honda.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
My 1200 GS was a lot more demanding for servicing gear box/ final drive oil change, annually, throttle bodies balanced, valve adjustment the same,
the T7 oil change every 6000 miles for engine, gear box, clutch, Valve shims check every 25000 according to the mechanics at my local Yamaha dealer very rare to have to change any shims at the first check the rest is just consumables and checking for wear.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Good to hear you are still enjoying the bike....

Likewise I enjoy my NT1100 but not doing the servicing myself whilst still under warranty..... I have a decision to make in the middle of the year to either extend the warranty or change the bike.... I have never before extended a warranty on a Honda, but this modern stuff has so many things that make me nervous about NOT having a warranty!

Nowhere near as nervous as when I had the RT though.......
Relax it's a Honda.

think its just a BMW thing your experiencing ?? my latest fjr is suprisingly frugal. tyres brakes etc last a lot longer now i've give up work those short commutes seem to consume them quickly. the pads are lasting 3 times longer now. just like the T7 just oil changes every 6000 miles air filter and plugs every 25000. shims have never needed doing on either of my fjr's 150,000 plus on the first nearly 90,000 on this one. lower link bearings use to go on the first one every 50,000 miles or so latest one had them out last week and still good from new same with the head stock bearings not had to change them either. must be lack of commuting every day.
once the weight is rolling and you're cruising its quite good on petrol as well. the only downer is the oil change comes round to quickly..
mile per mile it would be interesting to see the difference in the running cocts of your T7 and my fjr

Firstpeke

Mine might be a Honda and I may be a long term Honda enthusiast, but having had to have the TFT screen replaced, finally, under warranty, it was not confidence inspiring... the retail on that one unit is over three grand..... never mind the labour....

It's easy to understand these days how a bike can be written off in what might appear to be a fairly light accident.
A few years back my NC was written off as the cost of the forks and front wheel was beyond economic repair on a bike that was just over a year old.

I'm looking forward to my first ride of this year at the end of the month!

This retirement lark is keeping me far too busy........

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
think its just a BMW thing your experiencing ?? my latest fjr is suprisingly frugal. tyres brakes etc last a lot longer now i've give up work those short commutes seem to consume them quickly. the pads are lasting 3 times longer now. just like the T7 just oil changes every 6000 miles air filter and plugs every 25000. shims have never needed doing on either of my fjr's 150,000 plus on the first nearly 90,000 on this one. lower link bearings use to go on the first one every 50,000 miles or so latest one had them out last week and still good from new same with the head stock bearings not had to change them either. must be lack of commuting every day.
once the weight is rolling and you're cruising its quite good on petrol as well. the only downer is the oil change comes round to quickly..
mile per mile it would be interesting to see the difference in the running cocts of your T7 and my fjr
Could be interesting, for example those rear pads lasted 17000 miles i get sixty odd MPG at motorway pace with luggage, A and B roads nearer 70 MPG

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
FECKIN THREE GRAND wtf is that screen made of??
It's a reassuringly expensive Garmin manufactured multi-functional dashboard display unit that, it seems, was never fit for purpose. Now in it's third or fourth revision Honda, at Garmin's expense, are in the process of offering extended 10 year warranties.

Firstpeke

FECKIN THREE GRAND wtf is that screen made of??
As John has said.... the TFT on most bikes is going to be a bit OTT when it comes to replacing it, of course there have been many TFT's been stolen from BMW GS bikes, despite the fact that the screen is coded to the bike it was fitted to at build..... well, that's what BMW says anyway.....

Could be interesting, for example those rear pads lasted 17000 miles i get sixty odd MPG at motorway pace with luggage, A and B roads nearer 70 MPG
could be similiar pads are lasting a bit longer i think but i dont run them to the limits, same for tyres. but a lot depends on riding style plus a do quite a bit two up with luggage as well. i'll check my records later. as i said the weight is the issue accelerating it and stopping it eats fuel etc but once its rolling the big issue is aerodynamics and the fjr appears quite good in that department so just cruising at motorway speeds similiar again.

plastic seem to be extremly expensive when buying from car and bike dealers . i really dont get brand loyalty every product should be judged on its merits and compared like for like. the badge on the side doesn't really make it any better although some people pay a lot of money because it has that badge. had several hondas over the years none of which i miss greatly, down to one honda now probably the worst bike i own but i love it. its really honest and does what it says on the tin, but i can only go anywhere on it in 20 mile hops i'm just to big for it to be comfortable but its fun. CD175 no replacement part seems to be over £30 tyres, chain, battery oil etc the filter is cleanable. oh and it really isnt fun to ride in the dark, so i dont.