Garmin 12V power source

Seems Garmin GPS models requires a hard wired power source. I’d really like to use a 12V socket instead. I already have an amp, tender, and driving lights on the battery terminals.
Anyone use a 12V “cigarette lighter” power source for Garmin GPS?

EddyC

IBA Member
Yes, I sometimes use an older Zumo 345 LM as secondary GPS.
I plug it in a 12V "cigarette lighter" socket that is connected through a switched power relay and fuse box - so not hard wired.
One could even try to plug the provided usb cable to a usb outlet, but in the past I experienced some problems connecting a GpsMap60 with a generic cable that way.
Using the 12V plug shouldn't be a problem.
You could even move your other connections to a fuse box, but I guess that is not what you asked and is probably described in another thread.
Best of luck,
Ed.

Attachments

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Be aware that cig style 12v receptacles can be prone to disconnecting due to vibration. In some cases you can zip tie the plug in place to avoid this. I've had this happen many times with different outlets. Others seem to be more robust, but you need to be aware of it.

Another option is to use a true power port, swapping out your cig port for that and changing the plug on the Garmin cord. But at that point, you might as well just install a dedicated power wire for the GPS.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you everyone! I was under the (wrong) impression that there was some type of voltage modifier in-line on Garmin’s hard wired power source.
Do keep in mind that the mini usb ports are still 5v. Put 12v to those, and you will let the magic smoke out.

edit - It's really helpful if you give the actual model you're using in threads like this too. :oops: