Good helmet for rain and cold?

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I am a year-round rider in Oregon and I'm looking for a new modular helmet. I previously had a HJC Symax which fit okay, but was a bit loud and fogging was a problem. Currently I have a Scorpion EXO-3000GT. The fit is perfect, most comfortable helmet I've owned in 30 years. But, the Scorpion faceshield seal leaks in rain, and it also fogs a bit despite an anti-fog insert and a breath guard.

What do you like?

Caveats - Don't bother recommending Schuberth, they don't fit my head at all. Easily the worst fit I've ever tried. Shoei Neotecs don't fit me well either.

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I wear a Nolan N100-5. It’s waterproof but does fog a little when first starting out in colder weather. After my breathing settles down the fogging diminishes. The shield has a notch that allows it to be open ever so slightly, while still keeping the rain out. I have the pinlock installed, without it the fogging is constant.
It’s priced between the HJCs and the Neotecs.
I’m not sure there is a truly quiet modular helmet. When I purchased the Nolan I test rode it, the HJC and the Neotec. The noise levels were very similar, the Neotec being slightly quieter. For the price differential, the Nolan seemed like a better value.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Pinlock wasn't available for my Scorpion when I first bought it, but now it is. I could spend about $80-90 for a new faceshield+Pinlock, but I'm concerned that I might be throwing good money after bad. Will the new shield leak or not? Hard to say. Besides, this Scorpion is almost three years old now... not sure I want to spend money on a helmet that is due for replacement soon anyway.

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
For me the BMW System 6 is the first helmet I have had that doesn't fog.
It has a really large front air inlet an exhaust opening just above your forehead and incorporates the pinlock..
My helmet is ratty now but I am loathed to change.
There are still system 6 available but they are going in favor of the 7.
BMW I believe will let you try one before purchase

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Most helmet visors will leak. BTDT living in Portland for 45 years. The PinLock keeps the visor from fogging though, which is worth the cost. You can drill your existing visor and install pinlock pins too, if you feel comfortable using a template.

Figure out what shape your head is, if you haven't already. Sounds like oval or mid oval from your comments. LS2 helmets have several mid and long oval shape versions. I've been wearing them for the last decade or so. Currently using a Vortex with a pinlock visor when it's wet. Still leaks a little water in around the visor, but not as bad as my old Multitec did or the previous LS2 FF386 lids. Most of the LS2 helmets are cheaper than the carbon fiber Vortex, fwiw. Good helmets.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
For me the BMW System 6 is the first helmet I have had that doesn't fog.
It has a really large front air inlet an exhaust opening just above your forehead and incorporates the pinlock..
My helmet is ratty now but I am loathed to change.
There are still system 6 available but they are going in favor of the 7.
BMW I believe will let you try one before purchase
It appears that BMW still don't sell their helmets in the USA, unfortunately.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
The Schuberths do seem nice. My local shop carries them so every time I'm helmet shopping I try them on. The helmet part fits well but I literally can't even close the chin bar against my face.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Have you considered http://www.lidpicker.com/resources for a feel of what other helmets might be similar to what you're wearing?

To me, that really seems to be the solution to the problem. Once you've figured out sizing/shape/fit, then the 'nitpicky' stuff is all that's left to sort thru.

Now, don't get me wrong, sometimes that 'nitpicky' stuff is bad enough that it can eliminate one or more models from the choices.

Ever had a pro fit you for a helmet?

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Have you considered http://www.lidpicker.com/resources for a feel of what other helmets might be similar to what you're wearing?
Interesting site. Their free data web page pretty much confirms my experience; my current Scorpion helmet's fit is at about the opposite end of the head shape spectrum from Schuberth.

Have a had a pro fit me for a helmet? I'm not even sure what kind of pro that might be, aside from bike shop employees. I've worn many different helmets over the last 30+ years, and I think I have a pretty solid understanding of how a helmet is supposed to fit. (Should be snug but not yaw or pitch significantly on my head, shouldn't be painful, chin bar shouldn't smash my chin, etc...)

FLHXHS

Premier Member
I've really only had Shoei as far as Modular and FF helmets. That said I have a big head and fitment can be an issue. My old Multitech is good, and Neotech [one] is better. Pinlock is great but it does add some visual distortion [IMO] and I can get it to fog up when its cold [+4C] and wet. It seems to be just to start the motorcycle, close the fog shield [visor] and wait for the temperature to stabilize. If I click the visor up it clears quickly, but then your face gets wet from the rain...

Just saying the $900+ [CDN] helmet isn't perfect, but my snowmobile friends use heated visors on their lower grade helmets...

On a long ride, I've had great luck with my Shoei's and will be looking for a new one soon... [5 years they say.]

Good Luck.
H

HDConvert

Premier Member
Caveats - Don't bother recommending Schuberth, they don't fit my head at all. Easily the worst fit I've ever tried. Shoei Neotecs don't fit me well either.
Just read thru all the comments and learned about the LS2. Like you, the Neotec and Schuberth just don't fit. I've got a long-oval and wear the Arai Signet-X... which is all-day comfortable. BUT... I'd like a modular. So now I gotta go find a local shop with an LS2 to try on. Surfed their site and they have a few different long-oval modulars. And reasonably priced.

Good comments... thanks for the replies!

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Update: I tried on a Neotec II at my local bike shop recently and it didn't fit as badly as previous Shoei modulars. It was more or less comfortable, although my chin slightly contacted the chinbar. Previously I couldn't even close the chin bar against my face. They seem to have updated their shape.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You just have to get the helmet that fits your head. I have a Neotec 1 and its the most comfortable helmet I ve ever used. Better that my prior favorite the Multi Tech. You need to find one that gets you to feel about your helmet and head the same way.

Thanks for this thread. A fogged-up helmet visor is really annoying and incredibly dangerous. My first helmet doesn't allow Pinlock before, but it's worth it to upgrade.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Pinlock offers a huge range of lens fitments. You might be surprised to find one for your current helmet. They used to offer templates and they do sell pins too. Pinlock click on the "shop" tab on the upper right.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
My issue with Pinlock is that my current faceshield doesn't support it, but Scorpion does now offer a Pinlock-compatible shield. So if I want to go Pinlock, I have to also buy a new faceshield which seems like too much money to spend on a three year old helmet. And there's a chance the new faceshield will leak as bad as my current one.

It's about time for a new helmet anyways, but unfortunately I haven't yet tried one that is as comfortable as this Scorpion.