Honda 1500 Aux Fuel cell

I am looking to see if someone has an auxiliary fuel tank on a Honda GL1500. I am new to this and looking for help on how to best set this up. Thank you for any help you can give me.

John Albers
Waukesha, WI

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are probably still some guys that ran aux fuel on their GL1500s back when that was a current production bike. Hopefully some of them will speak up. Basically you have a couple of options, depending on what meets your needs. Tail dragger with an electric fuel pump to transfer fuel, or rear seat mount tanks that could be gravity feed or done with an electric pump. I think I may have seen one or two mounted in the trunk, but that's not really the best solution due to fumes and venting issues. Not to mention slower to fill at gas stops and losing the truck space for gear.

The GL1800 riders are in the same boat, but I don't know of a GL1800 seat tank will fit on a GL1500.

How many gallons are you looking to add? And do you need the passenger seat available for a passenger, or is a seat cell a viable option for your needs?

On tail dragger set ups it's common to use a trailer hitch and build a fuel cell mount to fit into that receiver. LINK At that point you need to pick your fuel cell and figure out a mount/frame for it. Just some angle bar stock and a little welding later your hard parts are done. Then it's just a matter of choosing a pump and some plumbing. I'm not familiar with the GL1500 enough to offer assistance in the exact plumbing or where to tap into the fuel system.

Last edited:
There are probably still some guys that ran aux fuel on their GL1500s back when that was a current production bike. Hopefully some of them will speak up. Basically you have a couple of options, depending on what meets your needs. Tail dragger with an electric fuel pump to transfer fuel, or rear seat mount tanks that could be gravity feed or done with an electric pump. I think I may have seen one or two mounted in the trunk, but that's not really the best solution due to fumes and venting issues. Not to mention slower to fill at gas stops and losing the truck space for gear.

The GL1800 riders are in the same boat, but I don't know of a GL1800 seat tank will fit on a GL1500.

How many gallons are you looking to add? And do you need the passenger seat available for a passenger, or is a seat cell a viable option for your needs?

On tail dragger set ups it's common to use a trailer hitch and build a fuel cell mount to fit into that receiver. LINK At that point you need to pick your fuel cell and figure out a mount/frame for it. Just some angle bar stock and a little welding later your hard parts are done. Then it's just a matter of choosing a pump and some plumbing. I'm not familiar with the GL1500 enough to offer assistance in the exact plumbing or where to tap into the fuel system.

Reply : John Albers below

The back seat could be used for a spot for an auxiliary fuel tank. I would need to be able to pull it off to put a passenger on. I would only want it for IBA events. Many bike is rated to hold 6.1 gallons. If I understand the rules for IBA the max total I can have is 11.5 gallons. To play it safe I would say 5 gallons of extra storage for fuel would be good.

John Albers

Dayle Martin from Firecreek Accessories builds the QuickTank for the 1800. On his web page, he does make a comment about a 'custom' Quick Tank.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/qt-price.htm#top

Dayle could possibly be a starting point, just to find out if he's done a QT for a 1500 previously.
Dayle Martin from Firecreek Accessories builds the QuickTank for the 1800. On his web page, he does make a comment about a 'custom' Quick Tank.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/qt-price.htm#top

Dayle could possibly be a starting point, just to find out if he's done a QT for a 1500 previously.

Thank you. I will contact Dayle at Firecreek.

John Albers

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 11.5 gal limit is only for Endurance Rallies. The IBR has that requirement, and many other endurance rallies hold to that as well. If you are only doing certificate rides, there is no limit, so ensuring you stay under the 11.5 Gal limit doesn't matter. Note that the IBA only puts on one event, the Iron Butt Rally. There may be an additional event added, but the other rallies are not put on by the IBA.

On the up side, 5 gallons is a standard race fuel cell size, so there are many options. Securing to the passenger hand grab rails is common practice on GL1800s, if the GL1500 grab handles are equally solid, this would be a simple ratchet strap possibility, making for a fairly easy on and off.

Here is one size, offered in 12"x12"x8"H and 12"x8"x12"H versions that has mounting tabs already on it. This could be bolted to a plate or board shaped to the space on the passenger seat. It would need to be purchased with a non-vented cap, (it comes standard with a vented cap), and a roll over valve/vent can be purchased from the same company to fit it. All the necessary holes are there, except a drain hole. They will probably make one with a drain hole and w/o the pick up tube if asked. If you wanted to use a pump, you could use the pick up tube. LINK

Summit also offers a variety of 5 gal fuel cells, some with alternative shapes and sumps with low point outlets. LINK

The spun aluminum tanks are not always accurate on capacity, often being a little over what they claim, but are still another option. LINK That site has parts as well.

JEGS also has 12x12x8 tanks with and w/o mounting tabs. LINK

Needless to say, I do not have access to a GL1500 and have no idea what kind of space you have available on the rear seat or if items come off easily that you would be willing to remove when using the fuel cell. Measure the space you have and see what shapes of fuel cells would work best for you, then consider how to secure them. A variety of brackets are available to secure fuel cells in race applications, combining that with a simple board or plate and some padding might do the trick.

You may want to read this thread about weak fuel pump syndrome.

It looks like with the carb'd GL1500, the simple method to get aux fuel into the main tank is to install a 90º hose barb fitting into the fuel plate that the pump is attached to. Run a 5/16" fuel line from that hose barb to the aux tank drain with a dry break fitting and fuel filter inline to allow removal when not needed. A simple ball valve at the aux tank to control fuel flow. Some good info HERE. (Ignore the siphon idea and the frightened child w/o experience showing the burning bike pic. :p )

Some dry break fuel fittings - JIffy Tite Male & Female. Marine fittings have been extensively used by LDRiders as well. SeaSence Male & Female. On the male fitting you simply add a hose barb to 1/4 NPT brass fitting to allow it to attach to the fuel line. I've personally used the SeaSense and other Marine dry breaks. You can find them at NAPA and any marine shop, which can be handy. I liked to keep a spare set on the bike, though only needed that once in over a decade of use. The o-ring got damaged when I disconnected to get access to a wiring issue during a rally.

A good product for sealing threads on fuel cell applications - Loctite 567

If your budget allows for a Fire Creek fuel cell, that's a fine product. You might also contact Ernie Azevedo in Oregon, though it may be too complicated to arrange the bike being present. I don't know if he's made a GL1500 cell before, but he makes fine fuel cells. I've used one of his fuel cells for the IBR and many, many miles before and after with great success. Outstanding person to work with and outstanding quality of work. He may have access to a local GL1500 for all I know. http://eazcycle.com/

Last edited:
I currently have a 4 gallon round one mounted on the pinion seat which I have used in both the IBR rally and the senior IBR I'm currently in the market for one that fits into the saddle bag of my 1500

Russ Black

Premier Member
If you can use a hacksaw and a drill you can make your own mount that will attach to the passenger seat handles that you can then mount the tanks brackets to. I have made two different mounts of Aux tanks using this method. One for my GL1800 and one for my girlfriends CTX700DCT. I actually only bolted hers together. I was going to do the same for mine but I purchased a welder (For a different project) and welded mine together. I used 1" square tubing from Home Depot. I purchased my tanks from https://shop.spunaluminumgastanks.com/Motorcycle-Tour-Tanks_c18.htm

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Same seller has a used pillion seat mount tank for sale as well. Missing some brackets, but easy to fab.
I saw it an sent a message to the seller asking for size and capacity, He responded with: "At the biggest points it’s 19.5” wide x 18” long x 7.75” tall but tapers down a little as you can see in the pictures. I think it holds around 8-10 gallons."

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I saw it an sent a message to the seller asking for size and capacity, He responded with: "At the biggest points it’s 19.5” wide x 18” long x 7.75” tall but tapers down a little as you can see in the pictures. I think it holds around 8-10 gallons."
Sounds about right. If that was just a rectangle it would be 11.78 Gal. Wonder what the hole thru the other tank is for? Too bad the seller doesn't give more info or photos of it mounted.

Last edited:

Russ Black

Premier Member
I bet it came off a goldwing trike. The hole looks like it might be for the suspension. The hole might reduce it enough the meet the IBR requirement of 11.5 if the bikes main tank is removed from the equation. The other question I have is how do you fill it? It seems to only have the two small fittings.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I bet it came off a goldwing trike. The hole looks like it might be for the suspension. The hole might reduce it enough the meet the IBR requirement of 11.5 if the bikes main tank is removed from the equation. The other question I have is how do you fill it? It seems to only have the two small fittings.
I think you may be talking about the tank in the eBay listing, and Eric and rneal55555 are talking about the tank in the other link.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The tanks may have been intended to be used together for a trike, for touring, as opposed to IBA rides. Important to remember, there are no fuel limits for IBA rides, only for the IBR and other rallies. We have seen very large fuel volumes for cert ride use in the past.

It would be a slow fill process, (I'm guessing), but if you fed the saddlebag aux tank from the top mounted tank and used a fuel pump to move the fuel from the lower tank to the main, that might function well. Conceivably you could use a pump to transfer from the top to the lower as well with some valve and hose routing.