How is GPS Odometer used on Log?

Hello,

I'm preparing for my first trip, and about to download the trip log. I noticed there is a column "GPS Odo." I assume since it's there, I'm expected to fill it out at each stop.

How do y'all handle this? Run your Google Map of the entire trip constantly and refer to that? Seems unreliable, since my specific route would need to be displayed, with all my waypoints, to generate an accurate mileage report. Keep the link of the stop-specific trip in my email, and launch it at each stop (feels clunky, but at least I'd get accurate mileage from my start point).

I'm at a loss here, but I'm sure the answer is something simple. I appreciate responses.

Jeff

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
GPS mileage is not required for a basic certificate ride. It helps to document if you have an actual GPS with an odometer function, but it is not a mandatory item on the log. The mileage for your ride will be calculated based on the addresses of your submitted receipts. Having the bike's odometer reading documented helps the verification team identify or eliminate potential issues with the documentation. Adding a GPS odometer to the mix helps even more, but is not required.

Thank you, Stephen!, that's a relief. The last thing I want is to wind up submitting inadequate documentation for confirmation.

Jeff

P.S.— I have several viewable test trips on the Spotwalla now, everything is working fine now that I understand it: thank you again for your help there.

Firstpeke

Just remember that the ride verifier will take the most direct route between your receipt points.... Spotwalla is a HUGE help to the verifier but if you turn a corner and head off at 90 degrees from the previous road, it would be wise to get a receipt as close to the turn as possible.
Doesn't need top be fuel, but does need to be a dated business receipt... I always take a picture of every receipt with my odometer so there can be no doubt!

YEMV
HTH

Thank you, Firstpeke, for that advice. I have stops planned for all "corners" and any other branches in routes that could cause confusion, trying to make it easier for the verifiers.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Jeff.

Just use the GPS Odometer for to Total distance ridden not each little part.
The total Bike Odometer will be different to the GPS Odometer because the bike unit will have error.

Your GPS Odometer will be closer to Google map distance too in most occasions.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Jeff.

Just use the GPS Odometer for to Total distance ridden not each little part.
The total Bike Odometer will be different to the GPS Odometer because the bike unit will have error.

Your GPS Odometer will be closer to Google map distance too in most occasions.
He has no GPS.