I-20 End-to-End time limit

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I noticed that the I-20 E2E Basic (at 1,534 miles) needs to be completed in under 30 hours.

I also noticed that a Bun Burner 1500 needs to be completed in 36 hours.

Why is the limit 6 hours less for the I-20 E2E?

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think the IBA considers the I-20 E2E a gold level ride and those require completing a ride in less time.

I rode I-20 E2E a few months back. It was a nice ride.

Shawn K

Premier Member
I think the IBA considers the I-20 E2E a gold level ride and those require completing a ride in less time.

I rode I-20 E2E a few months back. It was a nice ride.
I saw your ride report on it; it was actually how I learned about the ride in the first place. You peaked my interest in it.

30 hours just seemed like a strange time figure, seeing as how a BB1500 is either 36 or 24 hours. The I-20 E2E seems to split the difference. I was curious about the official rationale.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Perhaps because over a third of it, approximately, is 80 mph speed limit? The rules for a BB1500 or BBG are designed to work with any part of the country, not a dedicated route, (imho), whereas the E2E routes are dedicated routes with known issues and lack there of.

Shawn K

Premier Member
That makes a certain amount of sense.

636 miles of the route is in Texas (the only state in the route with a speed limit over 70). Assuming zero delays and gas stops, it'd take 7.95 hours at 80 mph or 9.1 hours at 70 mph, so only a little over an hour difference.

I suppose that ultimately it doesn't matter, since I'll do it in the prescribed time frame anyway. I was just curious about the reasoning behind the time difference.

Last edited: