IBA Australia Management Team notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj189

Premier Member
It is with great pleasure that we advise the IBA Australia riding community that 2001 IBR veteran (and the first rider to document an IBA SaddleSore ride in Australia) Derrick Sutton has taken on the Presidency role vacated by Trevor “TJ” Evans within the IBA Australia Management Team.

We look forward to a revitalised way forward under the stewardship of Derrick.

With great regret and sadness, I find myself stepping away from the IBA Australia Management Team and the exemplary support provided by the other team members, Karl, Lynne (& Michael), Rebecca (& Martin) and Alan. Plus, a myriad of others that have been critical in establishing where we are today – Kwaka, Ash, Gatey and Karl for their work with the IBA Australia Memorial and Nico for his work with the Annual Memorial Rides. This decision was not taken lightly and has been in discussion for a number of months.

Volunteers in Australia have been in a decline for a number of years for various reasons, in our case over the past eight years we have unfortunately seen a very small amount of members that have found the need to take advantage of this voluntary status and target members of the team to suit their own agenda. This repeated behaviour over the years has taken its toll both mentally and physically, it is time to look after our own wellbeing.

We are proud, as a Team, for what we have achieved since starting this some eight years ago - our aim was to provide an open environment for Long Distance Riders in Australia to see what the IBA was about and to encourage them to take up this sport of ours. We have certainly achieved that through the web page and forum, in establishing annual Musters and a place to remember our fallen riders at the IBA Australia Memorial. We also set out to provide local content and ownership for the verification of rides completed here in Australia, sadly this has become difficult, thankfully, it is something that is still a work in progress and that Derrick will continue to work with the IBA on.

May I thank, sincerely, those that have supported the Team and the IBA Australia Riding Community.

Last edited:

Derrick

IBR Finisher
Thanks TJ for all your work behind the scenes over the years. You (and the wider team) have done an awesome job in furthering the IBA in Australia.

I’ve personally enjoyed all the Musters, and I know the organisation involved in the Netalie Hill Memorial site took quite some commitment (and a shout out to Kwaka/Gatey/Ash/Karl for all their efforts here as well). It’s an awesome, awesome location and setup.

I’d always envisaged doing something to contribute to the IBA community here and, while the Presidency wasn’t what I initially had in mind, I’m both excited and a little bit nervous (to be honest) to take the mantle.

Verification and certificates are clearly a bug bear for a lot of people and something I will continue to work with the IBA on.

Don’t expect a lot of change in the short term (I also change my 9-5 job in 2 weeks!) , but I do want to get a pulse check and ideas from the wider AU IBA community as we plot the next couple of years.

While I know a lot of you individually I also acknowledge there’s others whom I haven’t yet met. Lets remedy that when possible!

Please feel free to reach out to me either here (or directly if you have my phone number).

I’m more of a chat on the phone/in person at the pub/by the side of the road type of bloke than on the Forums – though I will force myself to be a bit more present here!
Regds

Derrick

Status
Not open for further replies.