Long time observer ... First time SS1000 attempt

L

LookingFor42

I'm a very longtime observer of all things IronButt. I mean probably a decade of watching. Time to stop watching and commit to my membership ride.

My plan.
Sunday 13 August 2023
Brisbane northside - Newcastle return. Southbound on the New England. Northbound on the M1.
I still need to check fuel stop places and opening hours. But logic dictates that this route will offer plenty of fuel options given that it's one of the most travelled routes in the country.
I am heading south on the New England because it will allow me to get the coldest and prettiest section of the ride completed during daylight hours. Then I can travel the cold night section on the fast and furious M1.

The specific route I've mapped is about 1,700km, giving me some buffer distance in case my measurements are out.

I think using highways will be sensible for my first SS1000. Once I've completed a first IB distance, I think then will come the time to get more creative.

My background.
Been riding motorbikes over 25 years. Done lots of touring and longs days in the saddle. Longest ride in a singe day was Sydney southside - Brisbane northside on a Honda CBF250 in 2009. So this will be my longest ride in a day.

My bike.
2023 Suzuki VStrom 250SX. Super comfortable and runs on the smell of an oily rag. I've had a couple of 500cc road bikes over the years but keep coming back to the 250s. I have plans for some fun adventures on this bike.

L

LookingFor42

Welcome. Nice simple route with good reasoning behind it for your first go round. Interesting choice of bike but as you have probably seen, plenty of people have done big stuff on some tiddlers. Good luck.with it!
Yes, simple route. One I am super familiar wtih too. I have done a lot of non-motorbike endurance sports (ultra marathon running and ultra distance swimming). I have learned that it is often good to start with a technically easy route to conquer the distance and then increase the technical challenge over time.

As for my bike ... I've owned a range of bikes over the past quarter century. The 250s have been the ones I enjoyed riding most. I am short and not a strong guy. I've owned and ridden a few bigger bikes and hated the weight of them. But yes, curious bike to choose. Just call me Captain of the Chook Chasers. Haha.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
That's a very logical bit of planning. Good idea about using the New England during the daylight hours. Its been horrid riding at night along the Armidale Guyra Glenn Innes sections. Even Inverell has been very very cold of an evening. Distance looks good too.
Have fun with it.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If I understand correctly, your longest ride to date has been ~1000km. That's quite a bit different from a 1700km ride. Many people fail their first attempt at a SS1600K ride because they misjudge that the extra kms get harder as you go further for those not already accustomed to long distance riding.

I suspect you are in good stead for mental preparation having done other endurance type activities. Unlike those activities, motorcycling is not a physical sport, thus has other issues to be aware of. What have you done to your bike to make it suitable for long distance riding? Ergonomic changes greatly help to minimize discomfort. "Super comfortable" on shorter rides does not always equal comfortable on longer rides. Little things become big things with the additional hours in the saddle. Each small discomfort is a stressor for the body and detracts from your mental focus of riding the bike.

Understanding the basics about blood flow and how to avoid stiffening up are important. You don't really 'sit there, twist that', it's a dance of movement over time. Being able to drink water while riding, even on a Winter ride, is important. Dehydration makes our brains slow down and we start making poor decisions.

Years of motorcycle experience doesn't really equate to anything useful here. It's the kms ridden and how they were ridden that improve the long distance riding skills.

The goal here is to make your ride as smooth as possible and allow you to achieve your goal w/o feeling beaten up or abused. You shouldn't feel wiped out at the end of a SS1600K ride. If you do, there is work to be done to sort that.

Consider doing some intermediate rides between now and your planned SS1600K ride. 1200+ km. Or if you haven't done a 1000km ride in years OR ON THIS BIKE, do a simple 1000km ride. Take note of anything that bothers you. Mirror comes loose, foot gets cold/hot/goes to sleep, etc. Back or other body parts hurting. Again, what's just a little thing on a short ride will become a larger issue on a longer ride. Try to sort those things before you take on your SS1600K ride. It will make that ride so much smoother for you.

Biggles

Premier Member
Excellent advice from all quarters. EricV has nailed a couple of key ones. Except for hardcore Ironbutt rides, everyone chooses big bikes for a reason- they are tourers. So that implies a Cruise Control. Don't underestimate how much your wrist will ache for a rest after a thousand kays or so. The big bikes have a windscreen and cowling to protect you from the elements. You'll crave those when it's raining icicles with a windchill factor thrown in. And then there's range. While 350km is about what you're getting, and that's about how often you need to get off the bike, it's nice to have the extra 100 kays of endurance when you're out in the boonies looking at all the servos with their lights out. And finally, the bigger the bike the more options for highway pegs. Having your legs curled up under you gets pretty cramped. For the time being, standing on the pegs will get the blood flowing, but you'll probably need bar risers on a smaller bike to be able to do that safely.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Interesting. Seems @LookingFor42 dropped off the forum. I was hoping they would post an after ride report.

On reflection, it would seem they only wanted to share what they were doing and had no interest in input from others. Doubly makes me wonder if they accomplished the ride. My impression was they didn't fully appreciate the difference between shorter rides and a 1600km ride.

Kimmie

Interesting. Seems @LookingFor42 dropped off the forum. I was hoping they would post an after ride report.

On reflection, it would seem they only wanted to share what they were doing and had no interest in input from others. Doubly makes me wonder if they accomplished the ride. My impression was they didn't fully appreciate the difference between shorter rides and a 1600km ride.
That's a shame, as new riders into this community are required and if we can get another female even better (pillion/rider doesn't matter).

Maybe all the extra info was a little too much for them to take in.......all good and valid points.

I snuck out and did my 1st IBA ride without telling anyway just in case it didn't go to plan. On reflection 10 years later can see the enormous amount of encouragement and support I would've received from the group. You live and learn.