Mounting a Spot X on my jacket instead of the bike

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm getting dissatisfied with the amount of accessories on my handlebars, and I'm looking for ways to tidy things up a bit.

It occurred to me that it's probably a better idea to mount my Spot X on my body, rather than my bike (after all, if something were to happen, it wouldn't be my bike that my wife wanted to find).

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with carrying a Spot X on an Aerostich Darien jacket?

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I've carried an older SPOT in a jacket pocket in the past and didn't have any issues with getting a GPS signal.

These days I use an inReach on the bar and a PLB inside my jacket pocket in case the bike and I part ways and I'm not able to get back to the inReach.

Shawn K

Premier Member

Shawn K

Premier Member
Do make sure you can reach it with either hand....

No point having it blinking proudly on your upper left arm when your broken right arm means you can't push "SOS".
Thanks for the mention (I'd thought of that point as well). What I was looking for, though, was more along the lines of "I've used this item to attach mine here".

Shawn K

Premier Member
I was thinking along the lines of how Ryan from FortNine wears his Spot on his left shoulder with a carabiner. There's no attachment point like that on a Darien, though, so I'm looking for inspiration.
Screenshot_20211213-120343_YouTube.jpg

Jay Bolinger

Premier Member
I've had no issues with the pouch interfering with signal or overheating. It is a set it and forget it type approach. I think I occasionally lose a single ping when my arm is lowered down to the side of the bike to rest / get blood flow, but its never interfered with my overall tracking ability on a ride. I do think my pouch is the HD model with the extra straps. Sometimes they are in the way of getting my sleeve gusset zipped, but not to the point of removing them. I am not sure they are needed other than peace of mind as I have never had the velcro come unattached.

IIRC @Paul Tong mounts his spot on a carabiner hanging from his front pocket, or at least he used to.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was thinking along the lines of how Ryan from FortNine wears his Spot on his left shoulder with a carabiner. There's no attachment point like that on a Darien, though, so I'm looking for inspiration.
View attachment 7695
My Darrien had a carabeener inside the left breast pocket on a long loop that would stick out the pocket when closed and allowed me to hang my Spot from it.

Paul Tong

Heart of Texas Rally; LDX Rally
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've had no issues with the pouch interfering with signal or overheating. It is a set it and forget it type approach. I think I occasionally lose a single ping when my arm is lowered down to the side of the bike to rest / get blood flow, but its never interfered with my overall tracking ability on a ride. I do think my pouch is the HD model with the extra straps. Sometimes they are in the way of getting my sleeve gusset zipped, but not to the point of removing them. I am not sure they are needed other than peace of mind as I have never had the velcro come unattached.

IIRC @Paul Tong mounts his spot on a carabiner hanging from his front pocket, or at least he used to.
Jay is correct. On my Darien, upper left pocket area is a loop. I hang my SPOT from there with a carabineer and a short 550 cord strap. Easy to see, manipulate, and goes with me wherever I go (even if my bike goes a different direction). Only downside is when throwing the jacket on real quick, you might whack yourself in the head, but you learn quick how to avoid that.

Shawn K

Premier Member
I hang my SPOT from there with a carabineer and a short 550 cord strap.
As I've misplaced the original carabiner and strap that came with my SPOT X, I'll have to come up with another strap. I may be having a brain fart, but what is a "short 550 cord strap"?