New Garmin Zumo XT2 Just Released

I see Garmin just released a new Zumo XT model, the XT2. It seems to offer a few updates over its predecessor….

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/867974

I’ll likely be picking one of these up if/when they have a sale on in the spring/summer.

It looks like it still doesn’t support TPMS or anything of the sort…bummer

Firstpeke

Saw that coming.... reductions on XT and support discussions relating to lifetime maps really being a lot shorter lifetime than we would all like....

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just received my third replacement from Garmin Support - for my XT.

I'm becoming less and less a Garmin fan with each failure.

There's definitely zero chance I'd buy a "new model" until it's had a LOT of use and positive comments.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just received my third replacement from Garmin Support - for my XT.

I'm becoming less and less a Garmin fan with each failure.

There's definitely zero chance I'd buy a "new model" until it's had a LOT of use and positive comments.
I have a brand new XT that was to replace one of my two 2797s. Too fussy for me. I will run two 2797s, one routing and the other for leg data. Both loaded with all way points just in case. I have a old 2730 which brings me XM.

Firstpeke

I had my first XT replaced as it wouldn't download and run some minor functions..... bird's eye view, not critical for me, but if one thing doesn't work then it is likely other stuff may not work either!

Fortunately I bought from a very good supplier who refunded my purchase and I then bought the second one... I always go the refund route because over here in the UK if you take an exchange item and it fails, you then need to have a warranty replacement, which with Garmin can be a refurbished item AND you cannot then ask for a refund if that fails as it is a warranty issue!
Taking a refund means that your next purchase is a new item and covered under a new sales contract, so can be refunded if needed.... I think after two fails I would be looking elsewhere!

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's a good way to handle some problems Firstpeke. Unfortunately, at least here in the U.S., dealers will stand behind their products only for a limited time and will refer the buyer to the companies support for problems after a short time-frame. In my case with the XT, the failures occurred well after the seller would refer you the Garmin. I'm fine with that because for all the shortcomings of some Garmin products, Garmin support here in the U.S. is actually very good IMO.

All that said; my problem isn't Garmin support - it's the fact that I have had to rely on Garmin Support too many times for the same product. Unfortunately, in one case, that failure occurred when I really needed the XT to work properly.

I wish Garmin XT's had the reliability of my GPSMaps and Nav GPS's. I have a Nav V on my bike that has endured crap near that of a hand-grenade exploding near it and it still soldiers on quite reliably.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks to a snafu in getting a replacement unit last year, I've got a mint-in-box XT sitting on the shelf.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Pretty irritated. The replacement XT that they sent me has died. I was on a trip from New Mexico to Rhode Island and then back down through the central United states. It died in the northern United States and ruined my trip I'm pissed. I contacted Garmin unfortunately there's nothing that can be done because they can't ship me in overnight there's no place to send it. That happened on Friday night Garmin is I'm going to talk to Garmin again on Monday or Tuesday and see if I can't get this resolved I'm very very upset with garmin's product right now.

igneouss

Premier Member
I bought 2 around when they first came out. They work fine. Only 2 comments: raindrops sometimes activate the touch screen. And I had one mounted out in the wind. At about 80 the wind would put enough force on it to push it a fraction of a millimeter...just enough to disconnect the one or more of the electrical contacts in the mount. After I moved it behind the windshield that problem vanished.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Pretty irritated. The replacement XT that they sent me has died. I was on a trip from New Mexico to Rhode Island and then back down through the central United states. It died in the northern United States and ruined my trip I'm pissed. I contacted Garmin unfortunately there's nothing that can be done because they can't ship me in overnight there's no place to send it. That happened on Friday night Garmin is I'm going to talk to Garmin again on Monday or Tuesday and see if I can't get this resolved I'm very very upset with garmin's product right now.
If they don't take care of you but you still want one, see my previous note about having an extra one gathering dust

WY88

Premier Member
I have an XT, like my 660 better. Could be because I'm old and set in my ways. lol. Won't buy another Garmin if I have any other reasonable choice.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Since my ride went south in CT, I just rode down to Garmin and they replaced it with a new in box. Said it before, I say it again, the tech support is great, the XT, not so much. They're really good when they work, and I had one that was working as expected for a very long time but when they go, it is fast and you're stuck until you can get it resolved.

BTW, the main difference in the XT and the new XT-2 is speed. The new XT-2 is much faster. However, I also found out that it's going to be $700. No thanks.

Last edited:

Sportsterpaul

Just a side note on the XT, I ordered the components for use on my second bike. To be fair I’ll acknowledge up front that I’m electronically challenged, so when my order arrived I discovered that the mount plate I’d received was for the XT2 and it’s different and won’t work with my XT. 2weeks later and with proper plate in hand I now have the capability of using the XT on both bikes. Just a word to the wise as I didn’t expect this issue. Keep it safe and let the bonding continue!

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I really like that the keypad is on one display.
I've had mine a couple of months now and very happy with it.