New Here and Following the '17 Rally

I am new to LD riding. Very intrigued by the concept. I am following the '17 Rally with great interest. I have a question, is the rally book ever published? Are there e-copies from past rallies? Just sort of thinking about how to "arm chair" a rally. How might I have done the ride sort of thing. Thanks and looking forward to lots of good times.

Thanks Lonnie

They normally don't post rally books until the end . If you look on the IBR link on page you can follow along and older years have books listed as well I think

Welcome to the forum

Ted

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I am new to LD riding. Very intrigued by the concept. I am following the '17 Rally with great interest. I have a question, is the rally book ever published? Are there e-copies from past rallies? Just sort of thinking about how to "arm chair" a rally. How might I have done the ride sort of thing. Thanks and looking forward to lots of good times.

Thanks Lonnie
Ah!
So you are the new guy that keeps bogging the page down, and caused Spotwalla to crash? Well thank you!

No sorry, really.
Welcome aboard! I never could imagine that LD-rallying would become a spectator sport, but it is indeed addictive.

As already mentioned: dig out the old reports from previous years and enjoy!

I do it myself from time to time, and I have read them a dozen time already.

Yes, I am the one! ;-) I was looking at the spotwalla link and thinking about why everyone went in different directions. But some went east and some west. From a game design point of view that is a sign of a good design. There is no obvious path to victory. If there was you would just see a big heard moving together. I just sold my bike and am in the market for a new one. Part of me would like to get a bike capable of doing LD rides. Right now it is fun to watch.

Sorry but I couldn't find the rally books. Is there a link?

Last edited:

BMWguy

IBA Member

Yes, I am the one! ;-) I was looking at the spotwalla link and thinking about why everyone went in different directions. But some went east and some west. From a game design point of view that is a sign of a good design. There is no obvious path to victory. If there was you would just see a big heard moving together. I just sold my bike and am in the market for a new one. Part of me would like to get a bike capable of doing LD rides. Right now it is fun to watch.

Sorry but I couldn't find the rally books. Is there a link?
Lonnie,
They all go in different directions as to the rally plan they have mapped out to different destinations to score bonus points. I doubt any two plans are the same, unless two or more riders state they are riding as a team.
Click on this: http://www.ironbutt.com/2017ibr.cfm
Then scroll down for daily reports, video of the start and various pictures.

This is off the Iron Butt website (http://www.ironbutt.com/) - up at the top of the main page there are several links to source information about the organization. (News, FAQ, Certifications) The link above (http://www.ironbutt.com/2017ibr.cfm) is at the top of the main page under "IBR".
Don't hesitate to ask questions - The LD community has "welcoming" arms.

Mike

Not sure I've ever seen a download of the Rally Books unfortunately. There is the daily reports from previous years though and they are an interesting read.

The IBR is the Big Daddy of the Rallies, it might be wise to ease into the format with some smaller events ;)

BMWguy

IBA Member
Not sure I've ever seen a download of the Rally Books unfortunately. There is the daily reports from previous years though and they are an interesting read.

The IBR is the Big Daddy of the Rallies, it might be wise to ease into the format with some smaller events ;)
Yeah - never seen that as well.
I was thinking of the daily reports.

Smath

Premier Member
Here's a good how-to video on rallying:
My wife and I just started getting into LD riding. Well, I should say that I did and she came along to spend time with me. We also dipped our toe into rallying with an 8hr rally from Hammy's Experimental Rallies: https://www.meetup.com/HammyRally/ He does some on-line versions that you can do in your own local area if you can't make it to Eastern PA. I think there are some events in New England that others can guide you to.

Smath

Premier Member
Very nice set up Smath.
Enjoyed your vidio greatly.
Gatey, sorry if I misrepresented the video, but it wasn't mine. I just found it on YouTube. There's an older video out there that's an introduction to rallying from a group up near the Great Lakes (I think) but couldn't find it.

The first video Smath posted is from one of the riders in the three-man team participating in the Rally now. Don't have his name handy with me; but saw pictures of them from the first checkpoint photos posted.