New Ride Series idea.

Speedywho

Premier Member
With the recent announcement of the MotorCycle Brand Challenge rides I had an idea for another series. I think it'd be cool to have a Decades Ride series where the members would have to complete a SS1K or longer on bikes from different decades. With levels from decade rider to decades gold or insanity. Each unique ride would require the bike ridden to be from a different decade 80's, 90's, 00's and so on. Many veteran IBA members have already completed this by a longevity default but for the newer riders this could be an interesting goal. Thoughts?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Look at how few riders do the multi-cylinder ride now. Trying to source bikes of different vintage to ride, for the average rider, adds a lot of cost, hassle and room for issues. I would suggest that if someone wanted this type of achievement, they should go for it as a series of SS1K or other rides and enjoy their accomplishment, but there really isn't any benefit to creating a new certificate to commemorate levels of achievements.

Do 10 decades of your idea and apply for the Not Right Riders - Truly hardcore riders! cert.

Speedywho

Premier Member
Ok so one guy doesn't like it..... that's why there's literally dozens of unique ride to choose from in the IBA.

Trying to add discussion to a dead forum. I'll just do my own thing then, see ya.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hmm. First, please let me apologize Speedywho, for not welcoming you to our dead forum - when you joined during the beginning of winter - the end of September 22. Where I understand AZ [used to own property in Tucson] weather is pretty mild, you may be interested to learn that's not the case in other parts of the country. Even today, here in eastern NM, we're going to enjoy yet another day of high winds gusting to 70 - 80 mph. Not exactly riding weather.

A significant number of members of this forum actually personally know each other and communicate privately, as well as here on this dead forum. You may also be surprised to learn the a lot of us check the forum at least once a day to see "what's up" and to possibly help any members that may need it. That means answering questions and passing along messages to others as needed.

If you're not happy with the activity here, the solution is to find a forum more to your liking. Don't take that wrong, you're most welcome here, as are all riders, but please don't disrespect the fine folks here because we're not chatterboxes that just have to type useless garbage to increase activity.

Have a great day and ride safe.

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
How about just a certified ride in different decades. Kind of like a Mile Eater except it's for longevity, Three decades minimum. Standard, Gold, Silver etc. could be could be based on the length of time before the first and last ride of the series. Probably start with a 15 year minimum standard, 20 Silver, 25 Gold, 30 Platinum, 35 Titanium.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Wow, have you already done all the other IBA rides already? ;)

As a group, we have some amazing riders that have made huge achievements, many of which are celebrated with unique certificates. Scroll to the very end of the rides list and there are the "Not Right Riders". Some are just for small bikes, but many are for truly amazing rides or collections of rides. You will see things like Dave McQueeney and Glenn Pancoast - at least 1 IBA ride per year for 15 years and Greg Rice - 69 Bun Burner Golds, (he's probably way over that now.). The original idea would be worthy of that award as well, but someone has to do it first.

igneouss

Premier Member
On the subject of 'dead forum'' one might note that the Iron Butt Rally is running this summer. A hundred or so active members are busy elsewhere. This might partially explain a slow down in traffic on the open forum.

I'd also note that chatting on a forum is not what we do. We focus on the real world actually doing real rides.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On the subject of 'dead forum'' one might note that the Iron Butt Rally is running this summer. A hundred or so active members are busy elsewhere. This might partially explain a slow down in traffic on the open forum.

I'd also note that chatting on a forum is not what we do. We focus on the real world actually doing real rides.
Forums generally are old social media and their use has declined over the years. I'm a member of a truck forum that has roughly 139,000 members and saw 70 posts yesterday, which seems like a lot but is really about 1 post per 2000 members.

We have just under 6000 members so the equivalent would be around 3 posts a day, I think we're doing pretty good.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
A fairly limited scope would be the big issue in my opinion.

I have done IBA rides on a 90's era bike and still have one that I could hop on to do another.
The 2000's, 2010's and now 2020's are honestly not a challenge. Most of us probably own a 2000 to 2020 bike already or have easy access to one.
A 2021, 2022, or 2023 ride would be an easy rental with unlimited mileage away for someone that does not own a "newer" bike.

The 1970's and 1980's are a bit more of a challenge but there are plenty of bikes easily capable of an IBA ride still on the road. A 1980's era Goldwing could still do it without much effort if it is in good repair.

The only real significant challenge is 1960's and beyond. Not as many models readily capable of modern highway speeds for extended periods of time needed to do an SS1000. Of those models that are capable even fewer of them are road ready these days.

I own a number of vintage bikes but I would not subject any of my smaller bore 1960's and 1970's machines to the abuse of a SS1000. Not to mention my 6'3" frame on a CB350 for 1000 miles would be laughable, and probably painful.

Let see, I have certified rides on a bike made in the 70's (3) and 80's (2). Own a bike from the 00's that I still have to do a certified ride on.

Road the '75 CB550F 2300+ miles in a two day rally last year.

So I would say from the 70's and newer is very do able.

Firstpeke

You could ride any distance on any age of bike, just not necessarily in the allotted time for an IBA certification on those of a more..... mature age....

There are some modern machines I wouldn't want to attempt an IBA ride on.....

There are some modern machines I wouldn't want to attempt an IBA ride on.....
And many of those bikes You wouldn't want to attempt and IBA Ride on have been used for just that sort of thing. And then comes the question "What is considered a 'modern machine'. In the end it's all relative and "whatever floats your boat", "trips your trigger" or "PUTS A BIG ASS GRIN ON YOUR FACE"!!!
Ras
Ninja 250 "The bike that started the madness"
R1200GSA "The bike that keeps the madness going"

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Speedywho, I reckon you should just mount up and start bagging SS1000M rides heading back as far as your time and budget allows. Once you have done 2020, 2010, 2000, 1990, 1980, 1970 and even just to 1960s bikes you will have made a fantastic Decades ride series. If you inspire enough others to start to follow along, maybe even to 1950s and 1940s......

Once you have done it, you are in a better position to get the IBA to start a new certificate/category. That is the usual method. Come up with the idea, ride it to show it can be done, then get the IBA on board.

Best of luck :cool: