Out of country medical insurance

Many of you fellow IBA members travel outside the US with Canada being most common. I am searching for medical coverage in Canada while I am on a several week ride there. I have Med Jet and other evac coverage.

Four years ago I had my motorcycle fall on my leg while in Nova Scotia thus breaking my leg. Med Jet shipped my motorcycle home, great service. I elected to have the leg fixed there, excellent care. However, it took my two US medical insurance companies 9 months and many phone calls to settle up. I was covered up there but I was told by both insurances to pay first and they would reimburse me. Right! They finally paid the docs and hospital.

So I am looking for a company that will pay direct to the hospital/surgeon if I end up in a hospital again while touring Canada.

Thanks

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have Medicare and Anthem Blue Cross as a secondary, I called and asked about Coverage in Canada should I need emergency care. I was told, and have nothing in writing, that since Medicare doesn't work in Canada the Blue cross would be my primary. I didn't check any further as I'm not going to change our insurance company nor am I going to stop going to Canada. No use finding something to worry about. :):)

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Per my broker in Canada she said there are insurance companies that you can buy short term or trip healthcare coverage in Canada, one initially mentioned was Blue Cross Canada.

I have Medicare and Anthem Blue Cross as a secondary, I called and asked about Coverage in Canada should I need emergency care. I was told, and have nothing in writing, that since Medicare doesn't work in Canada the Blue cross would be my primary. I didn't check any further as I'm not going to change our insurance company nor am I going to stop going to Canada. No use finding something to worry about. :):)
In 2016 when broke my leg in NS I had Cigna as primary since my wife still works and has a family policy, I had Aetna as secondary through my retirement, and medicare. Cigna and Aetna told me I was covered in Canada. What they did not tell me was that I would have to pay up front then get reimbursed.

Fortunately our friendly neighbors to the north did not require their usual $600 to $900 up front as a "retainer" since I had two insurance companies covering me. Upon returning to the US of course I received my nice bills.

I called both insurance companies and both told me to pay the bill. They would then reimburse me. But when or even if? I made many calls and letters. Finally nine months later they paid up and I of course had to pay my deductible and coinsurance which wasn't a lot.

My hospital stay and surgery was much less expensive in Canada than it would have been in the US. So I saved the insurance companies money by not having MedJet evac me home.

So that is why I want temporary insurance that pays directly. I won't be changing insurance, just adding a temporary one. It was nine months of hassle I want to avoid if by chance I need medical service again while visiting our friendly neighbors to the north.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Ya, even for a few hundred bucks, it's worth eliminating the hassle, IMO.

I have done several rides in Canada ( and trips in the cage ) over the past several years without this additional insurance, but in the future in addition to Sky Med, I will be getting this "visitor" coverage. I'll be doing two rides in Canada this summer.

Last edited:
my dad had a heart attack while on a river cruise in China, he was helicoptered to Hong Kong where he had a quadruple bypass.
Had to put it all on a credit card and get reimbursed from his insurance after he returned to the US