Reaching out to the Brain Trust

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We are planning a trip to the UK with friends this summer, it'll be 14 days with them and some extra days before and after maybe up to a month altogether. I have decided to forgo bike rental and either ship or purchase a bike to keep there for a couple years with the thought that we will make 3 or 4 trips over the next few years.

I have been in contact with Stefan at Knopf tours and he seems to have it dialed in pretty good as to the logistics of making it happen. He recommends and I tend to agree that I should only consider a BMW or Honda because of the service/parts availability in Europe.

My inclination is is a ST1300/Pan European that is mostly as a result of the BMW final drive stories I've heard/read which maybe overstated.

I did go look at a 2003 BMW R1200CL today looks really clean about 40,000 miles and is unique enough to peak my interest. There is a 2002 BMW R1150RT available on the Knopf Tours site and he has a line on a Pan European but no details as of yet. I could get into any of these for less than $4500. My budget is basically set be the rental cost for a month of $5200.

So my questions are:
1. Aam I over thinking the BMW final drive issues with an early 2000's R bike.
2. does anybody have any experience with an R1200CL how does it ride and handle, it's unique but it looks like it would be great on the highway but now so much in the twisty's.
3. Is there a significant difference between an ST1100 & ST1300 id the Pan European he has turns out to be an 1100.

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have 500 k miles on BMWs without a final drive problem. That being said I would avoid 07/08 as that seems to me where the final drive problems were concentrated.
And I had an 03 1150RT that I put 50k on. Loved that bike, as did my wife as pillion.

Crafty_rider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Russ,
The J Team (IBA 399 & 400) have used Stefan for many years and are extremely satisfied. They have been going on European tours like what you are planning every year for almost ten (10) years now... there aren't many countries in Europe that they have not explored...if you want their contact info, let me know...

As for bikes, I can only speak to my experience of owning a 2001 R1150GS. I loved that bike and it took me far and wide. I changed the final drive bearing twice over the course of riding it from 2004-2018 and over 110K miles. The first replacement was after at least 60K miles (I don't recall exactly how far). As the bearing was failing, I did manage to limp home. The second failure was due to the fact that the first bearing replacement was not done properly but the second replacement was done right and I still see the bike around today (though I do not know its repair history from 2018 until now...). That being said, I think if you take a "preventive" approach and have the FD oil changed regularly, you should detect problems before they become catastrophic (and I think Stefan can arrange for the maintenance of the bike prior to your arrival...but don't quote me on that...).

I hope this helps.

Cheers!