Requirement for DBR at "corners" during 50CC Quest

Ani

Hello all,
I am attempting my first 50CC Quest later this month from Jacksonville Beach to San Diego. The rules for 50CC Quest point to the SS1000 which requires a receipt at every corner (See Step 2 under the SS1000 rules..."You MUST have a receipt at every major CORNER/TURNING POINT of your ride to show you did not take a short cut.").

My question is .....what constitutes a "corner" and how relevant is it for the 50CC Quest, where the objective is to get from one coast to the other, regardless of the route chosen. I will be using Spotwalla to track my ride.

In my embedded google link that shows part of my route, you will notice that I am heading westward on I-10 and then taking 1604 loop to get around San Antonio (point B on map), and then merging back on to I-10 (point C on map).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Qt2um-TOEEFzSlZvleIdeOtkyIxvqJ2j&usp=sharing

Do I need a DBR at points B and C? The distance between these 2 points is only approx. 26 miles, and will be a time-suck if I have to stop at both these points (B and C) just to get a DBR, when I have Spotwalla?? For the many of you who have done this route before, did you get receipts who getting on/off the 1604 loop?

Thanks.
Ani.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are no Corners or a minimum mileage requirement on a Standard 50 CC Quest. It's from one ocean to the other in 50 Hours or less. Doesn't matter it its 2360 miles or 2630 miles take as many corners or as few as you want. :)

CB650F

Premier Member
Jacksonville to San Diego is just I-10 all the way. Like Rneal said, there aren't any corners to document. If you wanted to avoid the horrible conditions of I-10 through LA and TX, you could head up from Mobile AL to Jackson MS. You could call the point where you get off I-10 in AL and where you get on I-20 in MS a corner. That way, you'd also avoid going through Houston and San Antonio. It's a much better route in my opinion even though it's a few miles and about an hour longer.

I wouldn't worry about getting a DBR at points B and C if you go that route. Corner DBRs don't really mean anything on a coast to coast ride. You can cut all the corners you want. In fact, I'd suggest cutting some corners on a ride that long.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
For the many of you who have done this route before, did you get receipts who getting on/off the 1604 loop?
Nope.

I did fuel a bit earlier (Seguin), so I didn't have to stop anywhere in the 1604 Loop.

Three 'typical' alternate routes include the length of I-12 (I stopped near Hammond...), the aforementioned 1604 and Tdot in El Paso was improving I-10 at the time I did mine. So, Loop 375 was evaluated as a last-minute change. Glad I did, since when I did it in 2016, I-10 was closed during the overnight hours - thus 375 was the option taken.

EDIT: Most direct route (and most common) to SDO is via I-8 - 350 miles from Casa Grande. ;)

CB650F

Premier Member
Well, yes, and you are likely to take I-12 through Baton Rouge instead of actually taking I-10 down to New Orleans. And you'll probably take the loop around San Antonio, or avoid it entirely by taking highway 46 through New Braunfels (which I'd suggest doing). Oh, and you'll need to take other roads in Jacksonville if you actually go from one coast to another. It's over 85% on I-10, so yea, it's I-10 all the way, but not all of I-10 because then you'd end up in LA, not SD.

Really, I don't know what you are trying to correct. Arguing that I-10 goes farther makes no sense. It's I-10 all the way from Houston to San Antonio, but you'll probably take other roads to get to your destination, and I-10 goes to LA, not San Antonio.

So looks like you got the needed reply. The SS1000 are guidance and the corner rule is not applicable. For the C-C the critical receipts are the start and end, as you noted Jacksonville is not on the coast and you need the Jacksonville Beach receipt. The location on those receipts must be a coastal location, meaning the border of the town/village/city must be the ocean. The other receipt rules from SS1000 that are important is the max 350 mile between receipts and the 30 minute stops. For the longer stops restaurant and/or hotel receipts work. Enjoy the ride.

CB650F

Premier Member
Only that I-10 doesn't go to San Diego.
I didn't say I-10 went to San Diego. I said the trip from Jacksonville to San Diego was I-10 all the way, which it is despite using I-12 and likely taking a loop around San Antonio and maybe Houston depending on when you get there. Just like how Seattle to Milwaukee is just I-90, except that I-90 doesn't actually go into Milwaukee. It goes down to Chicago. You need I-94 to get into Milwaukee. And you'll probably take 212 from Billings to Rapid City instead of staying on I-90. And you might prefer the northern route through North Dakota on I-94 instead of the southern route on I-90. It's basically the same time either way IIRC.

Or how Portland to Salt Lake City is just I-84, even though I-84 doesn't actually go into Salt Lake City. It turns at Ogden. Or how Denver to Cincinnati is I-70, even though I-70 goes to Columbus, not Cincinnati. Or how Buffalo to Providence is I-90, except that I-90 actually goes up to Boston and doesn't get you all the way to Providence. Or how Cleveland to Scranton is I-80, even though I-80 actually goes to New York and you need a few minutes on I-81 to get into Scranton.

Seriously, you're just complaining to complain. Nobody thinks a comment like "Jacksonville to San Diego is just I-10 all the way" is supposed to be turn by turn directions or anything remotely close to that.

CB650F

Premier Member
No, you said it's I-10 all the way. This was definitely misleading to anyone unfamiliar with the route.
Bullshit. Nobody is stupid enough to tackle a ride like that without carefully looking at the route first, nor is anybody stupid enough to be confused by such an insignificant comment in a post on a forum.

EDIT: In fact, if you route it on Google Maps, Google tells you the easiest route is "via I-10". Even Google knows it's I-10. Looks like there's a wreck in Houston right now too. I bet that will clear up quick though. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Jac...3a21fdfd15df79!2m2!1d-117.1610838!2d32.715738

Last edited:

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And the city limits of Jacksonville definitely go all the way to the coast. Jacksonville is a coastal city, this is the reason you can't nest a I10 E2E in a 50CC.

CB650F

Premier Member
Oh come on now, if you're going to do it, at least do it all the way. Point out FL-202/Butler Blvd, 3rd St, I-12, Sunset Cliffs Blvd, and W Point Loma Blvd. Then look up at the main route and see that it's still called "via I-10 W". I even circled it for you. Jacksonville to San Diego is I-10W, even though those other roads are used too.

Capture2.jpg

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Yea it would be easy. It would also be a lie, but definitely easy.
So you are doubling down on your "Jacksonville to San Diego is just I-10 all the way." statement rather than just admitting it was a stupid thing to say?

Interesting...

CB650F

Premier Member
So you are doubling down on your "Jacksonville to San Diego is just I-10 all the way." statement rather than just admitting it was a stupid thing to say?

Interesting...
Yes, Jacksonville to San Diego is I-10 all the way, just like how Portland to Salt Lake City is I-84 all the way. Or any of the other many examples I gave above. I won't yield to an onslaught of pedantic, semantic bullshit. If you have a reasonable objection to anything I've said, please bring it up and I'll be happy to consider it. Anyone looking at a map of the route from Jacksonville to San Diego can clearly see that's it's either I-10, or I-10 and I-20.