Rookie Question "Daytime Only Bonuses"

I've only completed one rally, but it was national park based and required getting a national park stamp from the visitors center. My question is: What is the cutoff for daytime only bonuses? Obviously claiming a bonus in the middle of the day isn't an issue, but what is the criteria that determines whether you were there on time...early morning and evening. Is it sunset, 15 minutes after, or something else? I have a few rally's scheduled this summer and fall and want to make sure I understand.

Thanks.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I've only completed one rally, but it was national park based and required getting a national park stamp from the visitors center. My question is: What is the cutoff for daytime only bonuses? Obviously claiming a bonus in the middle of the day isn't an issue, but what is the criteria that determines whether you were there on time...early morning and evening. Is it sunset, 15 minutes after, or something else? I have a few rally's scheduled this summer and fall and want to make sure I understand.

Thanks.
Every rallymaster has their own definition of "daylight only". For the Iron Butt Rally, if there is still sufficient light in the sky to see distant objects without artificial illumination, it is "daylight". If the bonus photo requires taking the picture of an object on the ground where the sky isn't in the picture, we require that two photos be taken - one of the object and one showing the light in the sky.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Every rallymaster has their own definition of "daylight only". For the Iron Butt Rally, if there is still sufficient light in the sky to see distant objects without artificial illumination, it is "daylight". If the bonus photo requires taking the picture of an object on the ground where the sky isn't in the picture, we require that two photos be taken - one of the object and one showing the light in the sky.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply.

It can be quite dark, even within the official hours of Sunrise to Sunset.

Usual rally rules allow +/- 30 minutes on the official time, and if there is no clear daylight it is up to you to know the rule, and prove you were there at the appropriate time. There are a number of ways to do this, a dated business receipt in the locality being the most common.

Other ways of proving when you were there include a Spot ping from the location, a picture of your GPS showing current time (you can't fiddle that) sandwiched between two photos of the bonus ...

Ask the RM which method works for them.

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Another good rule of thumb I heard was, "If you can distinguish leaves on the trees without illumination, it's daylight."

Of course, that's assuming there are trees around! ;)

When in doubt, always get a receipt and be prepared to accept the scorer's judgement graciously.

Another good rule of thumb I heard was, "If you can distinguish leaves on the trees without illumination, it's daylight."

Of course, that's assuming there are trees around! ;)

When in doubt, always get a receipt and be prepared to accept the scorer's judgement graciously.

Thank you. That's helpful too.