Spot Device Clothing Attachment

Tele

Premier Member
I purchased the Spot X device 12 months ago to replace my older Spot Gen 2. The Spot X is considerably more bulky than the previous models.

I fitted it into a cradle that uses a RAM mount to attached to my engine bars. I am aware of previous notes here on the Forum where members have commented that they prefer to affix their Spot tracker to their clothing so that (in the unfortunate event of an accident) the device is with them if they happen to be separated from the bike. That is a very sensible argument.

I had new tyres fitted today. The technician saw the Spot in its cradle and told me of a customer who was able to get out of a very sticky off-road situation using his Spot's emergency functions. This reminded me that I need to reconsider the placement of the Spot.

I ride most weeks with mates. Coffee and lunch. 300/400k or so. The Spot sits in its cradle on the bike all the time. Most days I do not even switch it on as we usually don't get far out of phone range and we are in a group (3-6) so there is "back-up" if something bad goes down. I don't find a need for tracking of my social outings.

For those that attach the Spot to their clothing (or body generally), I would be interested to know what you use to secure the device. My Spot X weighs 197grams. It has the upright aerial. It is meant to be operated as vertically as possible so the aerial can maintain good GPS contact. I don't fancy it on a lanyard around my neck, and I do not want it in the way generally if I am getting on or off the bike.

Any feedback will be most appreciated. I am trying to get myself back in the groove for another IBA ride in the New Year. It has been far too long. Many thanks.

Tele (Ian)

Tele

Premier Member
Thanks Brooke. My mistake. I did search the topic, but now realise that I only searched the Australian pages of the Forum and not the wider articles. Rookie error :eek::D

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Tele,

I changed to the SPOT X ahead of the 2023 IBR and have been using it ever since on my Australian travels. Overall while the SPOT X is larger than the SPOT 3, the thing I like most about it is "no batteries" just recharge it and you're good for another 2-3 days of use. It also has the messaging option etc. For the record, i still have my SPOT 3, as a backup unit.

I have always attached the SPOT to my body by using a carabiner. On my Aerostich, it has an inbuilt carabiner in the upper pocket, and when I'm not using the Stich, and I'm in my Rukka gear, I attach the SPOT to my Camelback by Carabiner also. The advantage (for me) in this positioning of the SPOT is that I can reach it with either hand, plus Rebecca can reach over and check it for operation/battery status when we are 2up.

Hope that all helps!

Lastly but not least, I am planning a couple of saddle sores in January (20th, and over the Australia Day Long weekend), and you are most welcome to join me if you like. The Australia Day weekend ride will be the “4 States with a Twist” and I will be leaving from Sydney, so could pick you up as I pass Newcastle.

Cheers
Martin

Last edited:

Tele

Premier Member
Thanks Martin. I appreciate the reply. In the interim, I purchased another mounting bracket to move the Spot onto the handlebars rather than have it lower down on the engine bars. I have no jacket with any good place to mount the carabiner. I have a camelback, so will keep that option in mind for those times when I use it.

Thank you so much for the kind offer of a ride in January. After dropping my daughter back to Canberra next week, we are headed across to my Son's place in Kiama to babysit his pets whilst he and his wife are away skiiing in Canada. We will have car and pushbikes only. They are not due back until the last few days of January, so we won't be home before early February. Then I think we may be hooking the van up for some more travelling.

I am hoping to get one IBA ride in before the Muster in March to make sure I am at least still capable for that distance in 24hrs. My osteo-arthritis is slowly creeping into new and exciting joints and I'm sometimes struggling after a leisurely day ride. Best wishes for your 2024 ride programme!

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
If you bought your Spot X brand new, then there should have been a strap with a carabiner on it in your packaging. Check your box if you still have it.

hagar

Premier Member
Hi Tele,

I changed to the SPOT X ahead of the 2023 IBR and have been using it ever since on my Australian travels. Overall while the SPOT X is larger than the SPOT 3, the thing I like most about it is "no batteries" just recharge it and you're good for another 2-3 days of use. It also has the messaging option etc. For the record, i still have my SPOT 3, as a backup unit.

I have always attached the SPOT to my body by using a carabiner. On my Aerostich, it has an inbuilt carabiner in the upper pocket, and when I'm not using the Stich, and I'm in my Rukka gear, I attach the SPOT to my Camelback by Carabiner also. The advantage (for me) in this positioning of the SPOT is that I can reach it with either hand, plus Rebecca can reach over and check it for operation/battery status when we are 2up.

Hope that all helps!

Lastly but not least, I am planning a couple of saddle sores in January (20th, and over the Australia Day Long weekend), and you are most welcome to join me if you like. The Australia Day weekend ride will be the “4 States with a Twist” and I will be leaving from Sydney, so could pick you up as I pass Newcastle.

Cheers
Martin
As you are on the Pacific Highway, get of in Gosford and go to Wyoming for a docket, then back on the freeway, now you have 5 states.

Tele

Premier Member
If you bought your Spot X brand new, then there should have been a strap with a carabiner on it in your packaging. Check your box if you still have it.
I have the original packaging with the carabiner. My personal preference is not to have the device dangling from my jacket or body. The only item I carry on my person when riding is the fob for the bike which sits in the front pocket. Everything else is either mounted on the bike or stored in the tank bag and panniers.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I have the original packaging with the carabiner. My personal preference is not to have the device dangling from my jacket or body. The only item I carry on my person when riding is the fob for the bike which sits in the front pocket. Everything else is either mounted on the bike or stored in the tank bag and panniers.
Your thread is titled "Spot device clothing attachment", and you asked what other people use to secure the device in a vertical orientation. I'm not sure what other practical ways there are to attach your Spot to your clothing except for the carabiner.

Tele

Premier Member
Your thread is titled "Spot device clothing attachment", and you asked what other people use to secure the device in a vertical orientation. I'm not sure what other practical ways there are to attach your Spot to your clothing except for the carabiner.
Quite correct Shawn. I was hoping there was another practical way to secure the device rather than have it "dangling" from my jacket/back/arm etc. Whilst I was looking at some clever solution for a "pocket" holding pouch, I have come to the realisation that whilst the Spot X is a very useful piece of gear, the size of the damn thing is somewhat annoying when it comes to "carriage' somewhere on the body. I have worked for over thirty years in heavy industry and for much of that time carried a two-way radio device (various brands/sizes) for safety and communication. I always carried them in a pouch on my belt, which was fine for moving around but very pesky when seated in a car or at my office desk. i thought about adapting a radio pouch for the Spot X, but the large adventure style jackets are prohibitive to anything worn around the waist. And strapping around the arm has to be considered everytime the jacket is removed.

And thanks @Stephen! for your great idea. Innovative thinking.

EddyC

IBA Member
Have a look on emergency/police/military equipment sites.
You 'll probably find inspiration in some of their solutions.
Of course, you could also wear a dedicated, adapted vest (hi-vis of not).
That way your clothing does not have to be altered.
Stay Safe,
Ed.