Spotwalla in lieu of paper receipt - clarification

I'm thinking about doing the Far North Insanity (FNI). But, before I commit, it would be nice to have a small but critical clarification on ride documentation.

The FNI rules say : " If you cannot get a DBR [ Dated Business Receipt], you must take a picture, including your motorcycle, to PROVE you were in each location. Remember it is YOUR responsibility to prove your starting point, route, and ending point. Spotwalla goes a long way towards this proof. "

The key word for me is "cannot" get a receipt. When crossing from BC into the NW Territory, the road turns to gravel and the next place to get a receipt is 20 miles north at Fort Liard. So, technically, you can get a receipt at Fort Liard, NWT but I would rather not ride my FJR 40 miles on gravel and possibly muddy road. Not to mention the real possibility of navigating through bison on the road. Ideally, I would like to get a pic of my bike about 100 yards or so on the north side of the point at which you cross into the NWT and additionally document that with Spotwalla. Plus, I could also take a pic of my GPS showing the map and Lat & Long.

Would that satisfy the IBA ?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Chime! :)

As the rules state, it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by submitting sufficient documentation to do so.

In this case, it may take a combination of documentation to meet that standard. If you took a photo of your bike in the NWT side of the border (ideally with a border sign in the photo) with the photo metadata showing the date, time, and lat/long, along with a photo of your GPS and a Spotwalla track log all mutually confirming the other documentation, that should be enough.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Rusjel

Premier Member
Thanks for asking David, that will come in handy for our Aussie Heaven to hell ride, where there are no business within miles of our continent's lowest and highest points.